It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 09:53 AM   #1

curlyroller HB User
Question silver fillings?!?

i was just reading another thread here and found that silver fillings contain mercury and can leak, blocking adrenals. i am really freaked out reading this, as i was just at the dentist this week and he said that one of my silver fillings is cracked and he wants to replace it with a composite filling (that's the only kind he does).

but, then i read that removing the silver filling can expose you to even more mercury and that the dentist should be specially trained to remove it safely. what kind of questions do i need to ask my dentist to make sure that proper precautions are taken?

right now, my am cortisol is at 9.6 (ref. range 4 - 22). i have some symptoms of adrenal fatigue, but my endo doesn't think i need to take any adrenal support or thta we need to do any further testing. i'm just scared (and maybe irrationally so) that this filling removal will tax me even more!!

rachel.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:11 AM   #2

curlyroller HB User
Re: silver fillings?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgj
Rachel, all I know is you have to be very careful in finding the right dentist. What I really what to say is I don't think you should have any kind of mouth surgery or any kind of surgery until you get your cortisol treated.
i'm pretty freaked right now to be honest. my endo wont treat me for the cortisol, and i haven't heard back from the nutritionist yet.

but if this filling is cracked, it's already leaking mercury, right? that makes me pretty freaked to leave it alone.

crap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Curly,
You can find a lot of info about the dangers of silver(amalgam) fillings by doing a search on the net. I also just found out recently about Mercury being in silver fillings and the illnesses that this can cause. I've been feeling extremely tired and exhausted for about a year now. I never had any fillings until 2002. I got three silver fillings put in at that time. I don't know for sure if the Mercury from the fillings is causing my illness or at least contributing to it, but I think it's something to look into.

I'd like to get the fillings removed and replaced with composite fillings. There are different types of composite fillings. I heard that some of them have aluminum in them which isn't good. I'll have to search for a dentist that removes the fillings safely using the special procedure. Also, I heard the price can be expensive so I don't think my insurance would cover it.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:15 PM   #4

curlyroller HB User

i just spoke with my roommate, who also happens to be my dentist's dental assistant. she said that in thier office they do take the special precautions for amalgam filling removal if the patient requests it.

my thought at this moment is that it would be better to get this cracked (and therefore certainly leaking) filling replaced than to let it sit there. but, i have an appointment with my nutritionist on monday to speak with him about it. since i have another amalgam filling, i will ask him about getting that one removed as well. both fillings are about the same age and i think my insurance will cover their removal. my nutritionist is brilliant, and i think he will give me good advice. i'm also going to talk with him about whether or not he thinks i should start on isocort or some other non-prescription adrenal support.

thanks so much for your answers!!

Old 10-15-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Curly,
So you think your insurance might cover the removal of your silver fillings and the replacement with composite fillings? Could you ask your roommate if she knows an approximate price of how much it would cost per silver filling to have replaced with a composite? I was wondering what an approximate price was in case my insurance doesn't cover it. Thanks.

From what I read, every time a person with a silver filling eats, chews ***, brushes, their teeth, drinks something, etc. there is Mercury being released into your body. It's important to have the special precautions done when removing amalgam fillings because of the vapor from the Mercury that can be inhaled, and also I guess so no Mercury is left behind or accidently ingested.

I remember getting my Mercury fillings put in a couple years back and it was an uncomfortable situation. I think I might have swallowed some of the particles while he was putting the fillings in.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I heard about an interesting study that was done in Sweden involving computers and amalgam fillings. Amalgam fillings were put in a synthetic form of saliva and they were placed in front of computer screens for six hours. The fillings corroded and Mercury was released. This showed that electromagnetic emissions can dissolve amalgam fillings. I just thought it was interesting since I have amalgam fillings and I go on the computer just about every day.

Last edited by Concerned Male; 10-15-2004 at 08:33 PM.

Old 10-16-2004, 03:58 AM   #6

curlyroller HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
Curly,
So you think your insurance might cover the removal of your silver fillings and the replacement with composite fillings? Could you ask your roommate if she knows an approximate price of how much it would cost per silver filling to have replaced with a composite? I was wondering what an approximate price was in case my insurance doesn't cover it. Thanks.
will do. i know that i just got a composite filling (no removal) and the cost was $232.

Quote:
Edit: I just wanted to add that I heard about an interesting study that was done in Sweden involving computers and amalgam fillings. Amalgam fillings were put in a synthetic form of saliva and they were placed in front of computer screens for six hours. The fillings corroded and Mercury was released. This showed that electromagnetic emissions can dissolve amalgam fillings. I just thought it was interesting since I have amalgam fillings and I go on the computer just about every day.
that's scary, since i work in front of a computer for almost 8 hours 5 days a week.

Old 10-19-2004, 03:42 AM   #7

curlyroller HB User

just wanted to update you guys after seeing the nutritionist. at this time, he thinks that my adrenal insufficiency may be due to stress on my adrenals from the thyroid and other issues. he wants to wait and see if treating them will bring my adrenals back to normal before treating them. i'm comfortable waiting right now.

he also said that he personally does not have any amalgam fillings with mercury, and that he thinks it would be ok for me to have mine removed. i only have two, the one that is cracked and another that is about the same age. i will ask about getting the second one removed when i go back to the dentist.

he also started me on alpha lipoic acid supplementation. he said that this is good for chelating mercury, and that starting it before i get the filling removed will help to take care of any mercury i may have now, but also will help get my system ready so that if i am exposed during the removal, my body will be ready to flush it away.

rachel.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyroller
just wanted to update you guys after seeing the nutritionist. at this time, he thinks that my adrenal insufficiency may be due to stress on my adrenals from the thyroid and other issues. he wants to wait and see if treating them will bring my adrenals back to normal before treating them. i'm comfortable waiting right now.

he also said that he personally does not have any amalgam fillings with mercury, and that he thinks it would be ok for me to have mine removed. i only have two, the one that is cracked and another that is about the same age. i will ask about getting the second one removed when i go back to the dentist.

he also started me on alpha lipoic acid supplementation. he said that this is good for chelating mercury, and that starting it before i get the filling removed will help to take care of any mercury i may have now, but also will help get my system ready so that if i am exposed during the removal, my body will be ready to flush it away.

rachel.
Thanks for the update Curly. So do you mean your nutritionist is going to treat your thyroid and other issues before treating your adrenals?

When you go to the dentist, could you let me know about how much it cost per filling to get a silver filling removed safely, and replaced with a composite filling? I know you had said that it cost you $232 to get a composite filling put in which didn't involve removing a silver filling. So I was wondering how much more it would cost to remove the silver filling. By the way, when you had that composite filling put in, do you know what material it was made out of?

I was taking Alpha Lipoic Acid for a few weeks or so along with some other things. I had stopped when I started taking my thyroid medication cause I wasn't sure if I should be taking all those different supplements. I think I'll start Alpha Lipoic Acid again as I read some other places also about how it can be good for chelating Mercury. I also heard that Chlorella and Blue Green Algae can detoxify the body. Did you ever hear of something called DMPS Chelation where a person is given intravenous injections?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:41 AM   #9

curlyroller HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the update Curly. So do you mean your nutritionist is going to treat your thyroid and other issues before treating your adrenals?
yes. my nutritionist isn't really treating my thyroid (my endocrinologist is) but he wants to give that treatment a chance first and see what happens to my adrenals then. the nutritionist also has me on some supplements to work on my estrogen balance (he's concerned about estrogen dominance), my testosterone, and my glucose/insulin. he says that having these out of wack puts additional stress on the adrenals and that it's possible that getting the other systems in line will relieve the stress on the adrenals and allow them to heal.

Quote:
When you go to the dentist, could you let me know about how much it cost per filling to get a silver filling removed safely, and replaced with a composite filling? I know you had said that it cost you $232 to get a composite filling put in which didn't involve removing a silver filling. So I was wondering how much more it would cost to remove the silver filling. By the way, when you had that composite filling put in, do you know what material it was made out of?
i'll be happy to ask. i can't remember when my appointment is but i will definately ask. i'll also ask what my composites are made of, since i have no idea.

Quote:
Did you ever hear of something called DMPS Chelation where a person is given intravenous injections?
i've never heard of it, but i don't know much about chelation at all.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:15 PM   #10

-Misha- HB User

The best supplement I've taken so far for my high mercury levels was MSM. I actually felt flu-like for several days after starting it, a sign that it was chelating the mercury.

I had my fillings removed by a holistic dentist instead of my regular dentist. He used a rubber damn over my mouth and I was given oxygen during the removal. Following the replacements, I went to my doctor's office for a IV Vitamin drip. Luckily my mercury levels went from "off the chart" to just "high", so I didn't require chelation, just supplementation.

One other thing my dentist suggested was that I get sensitivity testing done for all the different dental materials that are commonly used. I'm glad I went through with it b/c I could never figure out why I couldn't freeze with lidocaine. It turns out I was really sensitive to it, so when they switched me to carbocaine, I actually froze for the first time in years. No more "grinning and bearing it" during dental procedures. Ouch!

Wanda

Old 01-20-2005, 02:06 PM   #11

curlyroller HB User

wanda, what dosage did you use of MSM for chelation?

Closed Thread