It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

ChristyE HB User
Treatments for Adrenal Fatigue/Low progesterone are making me feel weird

Hi!

I am currently treating myself (as well as working with a doctor) for adrenal fatigue and low progesterone. I also take Armour for hypothyroidism.

I have tried several treatments over the past 4-5 months, and they all have the same effect on me. The treatments I have tried (individually, not at the same time) are:

Wild Yam (tried it mainly to see if it would help my hypoglycemia)
Progesterone Cream (have tried 3 different creams in different bases--all have same effect)
Adrenal Glandular supplements

All of these treatments give me a brain fog that I almost want to describe as a combination of a subtle headache, mental confusion, a foggy aura-like feeling. It's almost like my head is stuffed with hot, rough cotton (I know that sounds weird, but that's what it feels like!).

I have felt this with each of the treatments, and it occurs almost immediately after I use the cream and within 10-15 minutes after taking the oral supplements.

I have only been on the Armour for about 7 weeks (was on Synthroid/Levoxyl for 5 years previous), but these strange symptoms have occured on the Levoxyl as well as the Armour.

Has anyone had this experience? Does anyone know what it might be?

My numbers from about 5 weeks ago are:

Estradiol 2.2 (1.0-5.0)
Progesterone 25 (100-600)
Ratio: Pg/E2 11 (50-200)
Testosterone 28 (20-50)
DHEAS 11.7 (3-10)

Cortisol Morning 2.5 (3-8)
Cortisol Noon 1.8 (2-4)
Cortisol Evening 1.4 (1-2)
Cortisol Night 0.7 (0.5-1.5)

Thanks a bunch.

Christy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 06:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: Treatments for Adrenal Fatigue/Low progesterone are making me feel weird

By the looks of your hormones you certainly need to be doing something. You must be feeling quite crummy!

Is it possible you're having an autoimmune reaction to progesterone? I just read an article about the body attacking progesterone. You can be tested for the antibodies. Just a thought .

I could relate to the reaction you described because it sounds very much like the one I have to the preservative BHT and peanut butter. I've heard it's called a cerebral reaction but I can't substantiate this with a medical explanation .

Anyway, I hope someone else can add to my meager suggestions . So sorry there isn't more I can help with!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 03-09-2005, 04:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Keraly HB User

Dear Christy,

I am concerned that the doctor who did these tests on you would not have started you on Cortef for adrenal failure. I don't have much knowledge, but have read in several different places where it is necessary to FIRST treat the adrenal glands, THEN the thyroid. With cortisol numbers as low as yours, I would think this would have been the priority. ~ Tracy

Old 03-09-2005, 07:45 AM   #4
(female)

ChristyE HB User

Tracy,

I know it's all so confusing to know what to start with first--adrenals or thyroid. It seems like I read different stuff everywhere.

I have an appointment this afternoon. I'm going to ask my doc about Cortef, but it scares me. I feel like going down the Cortef road is a BIG deal. I don't want to become dependent on it. Maybe I'm worrying too much about it?

Thanks for your advice. I'll let everyone know how it goes today.

Christy

Old 03-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Keraly HB User

Dear Christy,

Sorry I haven't kept up too much with e-mail in the past few days. Hope you are getting answers. I've heard that it is sometimes an option to take LOW doses of Cortef every other day, for a few weeks or so, to give the glands a rest. You may have to visit a holistic or naturopathic doctor, though, to get this kind of treatment. If you don't want the Cortef, (which I can understand; I want to be sure my son actually needs it before making him dependent upon it for the rest of his life, too!), perhaps you just need some very close monitoring, at least! Good luck getting to the bottom of things! ~ Tracy

Old 03-19-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Cortef

My understanding is that you can take it to "give the adrenals a rest" without making yourself dependent for life. If your adrenals are totally shot...then yes you would need support for life.

~S

Closed Thread