It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Question Could I be making my problem worse?

In a week or so I'm scheduled to get an IUD. I was initially thinking about going for the Copper Paragard IUD, but worry about possible complications with that. So, I'm now leaning more towards the Mirena IUD, which releases a progestin (levonorgestrel, 20mcg) into the uterus daily. I've been told by my doctor that most of the progestin is localized to the uterus, and only a small amount actually enters the bloodstream, but I'm a little leary. I know that there is a progesterone and adrenal insufficiency connection, although I'm not EXACTLY sure what that connection is. Could I be making my condition (still untreated) WORSE by adding a progestin-releasing IUD to my body? Should I wait before I go for this procedure to get my adrenal insufficiency properly diagnosed first?

Thanks,
Katalina

Old 03-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Re: Could I be making my problem worse?

anyone have any answers on this one?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sadie-mae HB User

Hi Katalina,

Progesterone is a steroid hormone that may alter some of your test results, in theory. Somehow, I can't believe that the incredibly low doses in an IUD would do that but if you aren't diagnosed yet-it strikes me it would be better to not let it be a factor with any upcoming testing. Is it possible to put off the procedure until after you're fully worked up?

I ended up having to go off of all of my steroid meds for diagnostic testing and it was a pain. I am on Advair and rhinocort for severe asthma and sinus problems. It would have been so much easier to do before I ever started them in the first place.

Good Luck deciding, there never seems to be a black and white answer to anything, does there?

sadie

Old 03-13-2005, 09:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

sadie-mae,

Thanks for the reply! I've been a little anxious about the decision I need to make in this situation. I also used to be on Rhinocort for sinus problems (Honestly, I haven't been able to smell a thing for a over year except for a few good days!), and take Singulair (non-steroidal) for asthma, and still once in a blue moon resort to using albuterol. It is true that the dosage in the IUD is very low. I believe it's only 20mcg/day, and most of that is localized to the uterus. Although I would really like to get this procedure done now, maybe it is better off that I wait. I don't realy know what to do. I think I might try to put it off a little bit longer. Anyway, I'm glad you responded, and I'll keep you updating on the results of adrenal testing: )
Thanks,
~Katalina

Closed Thread