In a week or so I'm scheduled to get an IUD. I was initially thinking about going for the Copper Paragard IUD, but worry about possible complications with that. So, I'm now leaning more towards the Mirena IUD, which releases a progestin (levonorgestrel, 20mcg) into the uterus daily. I've been told by my doctor that most of the progestin is localized to the uterus, and only a small amount actually enters the bloodstream, but I'm a little leary. I know that there is a progesterone and adrenal insufficiency connection, although I'm not EXACTLY sure what that connection is. Could I be making my condition (still untreated) WORSE by adding a progestin-releasing IUD to my body? Should I wait before I go for this procedure to get my adrenal insufficiency properly diagnosed first?
Progesterone is a steroid hormone that may alter some of your test results, in theory. Somehow, I can't believe that the incredibly low doses in an IUD would do that but if you aren't diagnosed yet-it strikes me it would be better to not let it be a factor with any upcoming testing. Is it possible to put off the procedure until after you're fully worked up?
I ended up having to go off of all of my steroid meds for diagnostic testing and it was a pain. I am on Advair and rhinocort for severe asthma and sinus problems. It would have been so much easier to do before I ever started them in the first place.
Good Luck deciding, there never seems to be a black and white answer to anything, does there?
Thanks for the reply! I've been a little anxious about the decision I need to make in this situation. I also used to be on Rhinocort for sinus problems (Honestly, I haven't been able to smell a thing for a over year except for a few good days!), and take Singulair (non-steroidal) for asthma, and still once in a blue moon resort to using albuterol. It is true that the dosage in the IUD is very low. I believe it's only 20mcg/day, and most of that is localized to the uterus. Although I would really like to get this procedure done now, maybe it is better off that I wait. I don't realy know what to do. I think I might try to put it off a little bit longer. Anyway, I'm glad you responded, and I'll keep you updating on the results of adrenal testing: )