It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
(female)

ChristyE HB User
Increase Cortef for PMS?

I take 5mg Cortef twice a day for adrenal fatigue. It is really helping, but I am still struggling during the two weeks before my period. Starting a few days after ovulation, it is pretty much straight downhill until I start my period.

My progesterone is low, but for some reason, I cannot tolerate the progesterone creams. I have tried 3 different creams and different dosages. I keep having this same pattern: The cream really seems to help for about 5 days, then after those 5 days, I start having really bad side effects. I know all about the "estrogen receptors waking up", but I think this is something different. Maybe it's the weakened state of my adrenals, but my body is extremely sensitive to drugs and supplements right now.

Anyway, my question is, what do you think about increasing my Cortef during those two weeks? Does anyone know if this is medically justified? I don't want to increase it just to increase it (I don't want to make it harder for me to get off the Cortef eventually).

Any thoughts?

Christy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

tcnj_mom HB User
Re: Increase Cortef for PMS?

Christy, I would be extremely cautious about increasing since your goal is to someday be free of steroid meds completely, however, estrogen will make hydrocortisone, in your case Cortef, last longer in the body due to the fact that is has CBG, cortisol binding globulin, in it. With the cyclical decrease in your estrogen, your cortisol is not lasting as long at that time. Therefore, an increase is justified. I hope you feel better. And I hope you get off the Cortef someday. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
(female)

ChristyE HB User
Re: Increase Cortef for PMS?

TCNJ-

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand the estrogen/progesterone/cortisone connection. My estrogen has tested high and my progesterone is low. I thought the low progesterone would be what is causing my PMS.

My hypoglycemia is back again bad. This had gone away almost completely during the first month on Cortef!!!!!! (This is my second month on the Cortef.) I am SOOOOO frustrated. I almost feel like I'm back to square one.

I took 10 mg Cortef yesterday (at both a.m. and lunch doses) just to see if it would help. Results were very minimal. I don't know what to do. :-(

Christy

Last edited by ChristyE; 05-17-2005 at 02:51 PM.

Closed Thread