It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Who has tried adrenal glandulars?

Hi everyone,
I've posted on this board a few times regarding my health issues, and I pretty much suffer every single symptom of Addison's Disease. I'm STILL in the process of trying to get health insurance to get some kind of treatment. I had health insurance for a short period of time and was seeing a naturopath who strongly suspected I have adrenal insufficiency, but unfortunately I couldn't pay for the insurance anymore and I'm currently trying to get State insurance. Anyway, I've been trying to use a natural approach, at least for now. I've increased my salt intake in the past few months which helps immensely, and I actually can't function at all without consuming a lot of salt. Also, I've been drinking Licorice Root Tea, and that seems to help somewhat, but none of these remedies are nowhere near helpful enough to where I feel okay at all. I started reading up on adrenal glandulars and I was just wondering about anyone's experiences with taking this supplement. Did it help you at all? Were there any side effects? I'm really worried about the side effect part because I have enough icky symptoms as it is.
Thanks so much,
Katalina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
Inactive

WandaB HB User
Re: Who has tried adrenal glandulars?

Is it made from animals? If so I would NOT use it.

Drinking Bouillon (flavored salt cubes desolved in hot water) 3 or 4 times daily may help you. This is the eastest & best tasting way I found to get lots of salt in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

I believe adrenal glandulars are made from animals. Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason that I should stay away from glandulars made from animals? Now you got me thinking. I do drink boullion, by the way, and also eat a ton of green olives, which are high in sodium. If I don't keep my salt intake WAYY up, I can barely function at all.
~Katalina

Old 07-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
Inactive

WandaB HB User

If I were considering taking the adrenal glandulars I would want to know exactly what animal & where in the animal does it come from. All I can think of is "mad cow disease" when thinking of this & don't really have a clue where the adrenal glandulars comes from or if it is a threat.

Hope you can get insurance soon so you can get a ACTH stim test done.

Take care,
Wanda

Old 07-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
(female)

ChristyE HB User

Katalina,

I have taken adrenal glandulars for adrenal fatigue. My son (3 1/2 yrs.) is also currently taking them. The one symptom that it helps immensely is hypoglycemia. Other than that, I did not find that it helped significantly in any other way.

Yes, the concern is Mad Cow Disease, but when I was doing my research, the "experts" said as long as you're getting it from a reputable manufacturer, that it should be safe. Also, they said to look for glandulars that are from grass-fed, hormone-free cows or sheep. It is my understanding one of the main theories regarding the cause of/transmission of Mad Cow Disease (BSE) is that cows are infected by ingesting feed that is comprised of parts (bones/organs) of other cows. So, by using glandulars that are from grain-fed cows, this supposedly makes it safer.

If I'm wrong about the above explanation, I apologize, but I believe this is what I read when I did my research (many months ago). You might want to do some reading yourself to check the facts.

Just my personal feelings...I do feel safe in taking them. Obviously so, since I made the decision to give them to my son. The glandulars make a tremendous difference in his hypoglycemia. I give him a half tablet in the morning.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Christy

Old 07-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I have. I tried Dr. Wilson's which are made from pig's glands, so I have no mad cow worries. They did help my symptoms somewhat. Taking them also made it apparent to me that I have to get to the root cause of my adrenal fatigue, which is my severe allergies. I can't exactly explain it, but taking them made me feel better, but at the same time, made my allergy symptoms more apparent. By eliminating the fatigue, my stuffiness and other allergy symptoms were more noticable. The worse the pollen count, the more I had to take to get relief from the fatigue. And when I went out of town for 3 weeks, I functioned fine without having to take any. I probably missed an oppotunity to rebuild my adrenals a bit. When I go out of town again, I will make sure not to forget them.

I also agree with Christy, they help a lot with low blood sugar.

Old 07-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Thanks for your responses everyone. I finally found a FREE naturopath (although kind of far away) that is supposed to start testing me on Monday. I think I'm going to hold off on the adrenal glandulars for a little while since I found a doctor and only sometimes suffer from low blood sugars now. I had low blood sugar every single day, despite eating, until I eliminated gluten and dairy from my diet. Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone

Old 07-20-2005, 10:04 AM   #8
(female)

mindy59 HB User

I have used the glandulars, am using them now. They worked for me as well as the prednizone. My legs are less wobbly, I feel stronger and not as depressed. My heart seems to function better as well. Relieved my flank pain immediately. Whatever you do, though continue to eat plenty of salt and drink lots of water. mindy59

Old 07-22-2005, 10:40 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi Mindy,

Maybe I will try the glandulars. I keep going back and forth. Can you recommend a particular brand to buy?

Thanks,
Katalina

Closed Thread