It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User
TSH & Addison's

Is it common for people with Addison's to have a low TSH level? I also have been having bad stomach problems-horrible cramps and diarrhea- if I have a problem with my adrenals would it cause this?

Old 01-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
(male)

Hormoneman HB User
Re: TSH & Addison's

TSH can rise when cortisol is low and fall quite a bit if cortisol is to high or excess or pharmacological amount of steroid is taken. Normal full replacement doses can lower TSH slightly more than the same amount of natural cortisol. Of course, if the pituitary output of TSH is low or the thyroid is not working right, then correlation of cortisol to TSH becomes incidental. If you aren't on thyroid med and your TSH is very low, then maybe your pituitary isn't able to put out enough TSH, possibly causing hypo. Post your tests and I might be able to give an opinion of if you might be secondary hypothyroid.

Last edited by Hormoneman; 01-14-2006 at 10:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

When TSH is low it causes hyperthyroid not hypo, I don't know my exact levels it was just low.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
(male)

Hormoneman HB User

Actually, low TSH can cause hypo if your pituitary is not able to produce enough TSH to stimulate thyroid hormone production.

But if the thyroid is overproducing thyroid hormone, then that will cause TSH to go low.

So if your TSH is low, but your thyroid free tests are at the top of the range or above, that would match with hyper. If you TSH is high, but your frees are low, that matches with primary hypothyroidism. If your TSH is low and one or both frees are low, that matches with secondary hypothyroid.

If your doc doen't know these differences, then he shouldn't be treating anyone. Unfortunately, many docs think low TSH always means hyper.

Last edited by Hormoneman; 01-16-2006 at 06:55 PM.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

Huh, well I've only had a T4 FREE test I think and it came back normal but my doctor just took some more blood to check my thyroid again and I'm waiting for the results of them but my doctor doesn't know why my TSH would be so low and my T4 normal.
Thanks for the replies by the way!

Old 01-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
(male)

Hormoneman HB User

Your welcome. I look for free T4 to be at the very top of the range or even a little above if healthy. The Free T3 I look for upper forth of the range. Most women with a healthy thyroid will have a TSH of around 1, men around 2.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley_bsb
Is it common for people with Addison's to have a low TSH level? I also have been having bad stomach problems-horrible cramps and diarrhea- if I have a problem with my adrenals would it cause this?
If you have taken antibiotics lately then I would susspect an intestinal yeast infection. If so, stop eating sugar and take some probiotics (pills or yogurt) for a few weeks.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

Well I haven't taken antibiotics in about a year so I don't think that's it, and I get stomach problems off and on all the time just not usually lasting for so long

Old 01-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Well I haven't taken antibiotics in about a year so I don't think that's it, and I get stomach problems off and on all the time just not usually lasting for so long
I'd still try the probiotics for a few weeks. It can take some time before a yeast infection takes hold.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

How would a yeast infection cause all of my problems? Besides, when I was taking antibiotics last year the doctor had me taking pills to prevent me from getting a yeast infection while on the antibiotics

Old 01-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
How would a yeast infection cause all of my problems? Besides, when I was taking antibiotics last year the doctor had me taking pills to prevent me from getting a yeast infection while on the antibiotics
I don't know what all your problems are, but your original post mentioned stomach problems and bloating which can be caused by yeast/fungus in your intestines. Taking antibiotics kills good as well as bad bacteria so unless you replaced those missing good bacteria (Did your doctor order probiotics?) you can develop an over growth of yeast. It can take a while before the yeast gets to a stage where symptoms occur. Essentially you become sensitive to the yeast's waste products.

I assume your doctor ordered antifungus medication, which is great. But after you stop taking it, if the bacteria isn't available to control the yeast, then the yeast will slowly grow out of balance.

In addition, taking steroids predisposes you to yeast/fungus problems. It is very common for Addison's patients to experience recurring infections. Yeast infections can cause, fatigue, stomach problems, joint pains, depression, and even brain fog.

It worked for me, so its worth a try.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

Well, I learn somethin new every day. I don't really have bloating I just sporadically get horrible stomach cramps (so bad sometimes I can not even move) and diarrhea. My other problems are many but do include extreme fatigue, joint and muscle pain, and severe brain fog at times. My period is so light it is almost nonexistent, would a yeast infection cause that?

Old 01-22-2006, 08:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Well, I learn somethin new every day. I don't really have bloating I just sporadically get horrible stomach cramps (so bad sometimes I can not even move) and diarrhea. My other problems are many but do include extreme fatigue, joint and muscle pain, and severe brain fog at times. My period is so light it is almost nonexistent, would a yeast infection cause that?
Light periods combined with thyroid and adrenal problems and a host of other weird problems, usually points to a pituitary disorder; possibly a tumor, or perhaps your pituitary is simply malfunctioning and shutting down.

Meantime a fungus/yeast infection can complicate things and multiply your symptoms. It happened to me, and it took two years to figure out it was a yeast infection.

Last edited by orion; 01-22-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

Huh, wow, well I don't have a tumor...I had both an MRI and a CAT scan when I first began having severe headaches. I'm not sure if I have an adrenal problem or not, just including it in my large list of possiblilities

Old 01-23-2006, 10:43 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Huh, wow, well I don't have a tumor...I had both an MRI and a CAT scan when I first began having severe headaches. I'm not sure if I have an adrenal problem or not, just including it in my large list of possiblilities
Doesn't have to be a tumor, can be just a slow deterioration of the pituitary gland. You can only rule that out with provocative tests.

Closed Thread