It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
(female)

also2tired HB User
Side effects from cortef

Has anyone ever felt more moody, sad, or irritable after being on cortef? Were you ever dizzy after starting cortef, and if so, how long before the dizziness went away? I am referring to vertigo that is present most of the time, not just for a short while after you stand up. How do you know you are on enough cortef? When would you decide that cortef might not be the best treatment?

I read somewhere that if you have been "hypocortisolemic" for a long time, that your glucocorticoid receptors on your cells may be more sensitive to cortisol, so when you take cortef, it might cause depression similar to depression in other people that is caused by too much cortisol in their bodies. If this is the case for some people, would their cells get used to it and would they feel better emotionally soon?

I had these effects from only 5 mg of cortef, and going up to 10 mg did not seem to help. I did notice fewer muscle aches, and I slept better, though, but I still have no energy. I absolutely do not like the dizziness, although it has gotten slightly better. I know all of these things are listed as possible side effects from cortef, but the doctor thought that there would not be any adverse effects with such a small dose. It doesn't seem to be that common. It's only been 2 weeks, though.

Can anyone relate? What do you think I should do? Is licorice helpful to anyone?

Old 04-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

sinnister81 HB User
Re: Side effects from cortef

go on some search engines and look at adrenal disorders. A symptom of having an adrenal imbalance is chemical sensitivity, as most chemicals are a stress to your body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
(male)

matt9999 HB User

I take 1 pill in the morning, 1 at lunch and a half at supper and that seems to give me enough energy. I was told to take 2 1/2 pills a day by the doctor and talked to some people on here about when to take them. That does seem kinda low dose your on. When do you take your pills? My mouth seems to be thirsty all the time and I need extra salt. I would try drinking a couple bottles of Gatorade a day to give more energy and electrolights too and not eat so much candy. My doctors wanted me to drink boost and other shakes and I told them Gatorades alot better from there choices. There are side effects from cortef like acne and you will probably need some cream if you get them bad.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
(female)

gettin' better HB User

10 mg. is an extremely low dose. I take 15 and that is considered on the low side. I had no side effects from the Cortef, and I started on 60 mg. when I was first diagnosed with an Addison's crisis. I quickly weaned down to 30, then 20, then 15. It sounds to me like you are under-replaced and need more. The standard dose is between 20 and 30 mg. per day, taken in divided doses. Is your doctor a qualified endocrinologist? If not, I would find one. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
(female)

k_c_lady HB User
Question Re: Side effects from cortef

I get like that when I haven't been taking the right dosage. I get really moody & grumpy & I am sure I am just a joy to be around! Kiesha

Old 01-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
(female)

LSeagraves HB User

Have you had any weight issues being on cortef ( I was reading previous posts).

Old 01-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
(female)

HairstYlist HB User

I have been on cortef for a month now and haven't gained any weight.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
(female)

sjsanford HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by also2tired View Post
Has anyone ever felt more moody, sad, or irritable after being on cortef? Were you ever dizzy after starting cortef, and if so, how long before the dizziness went away? I am referring to vertigo that is present most of the time, not just for a short while after you stand up. How do you know you are on enough cortef? When would you decide that cortef might not be the best treatment?

I read somewhere that if you have been "hypocortisolemic" for a long time, that your glucocorticoid receptors on your cells may be more sensitive to cortisol, so when you take cortef, it might cause depression similar to depression in other people that is caused by too much cortisol in their bodies. If this is the case for some people, would their cells get used to it and would they feel better emotionally soon?

I had these effects from only 5 mg of cortef, and going up to 10 mg did not seem to help. I did notice fewer muscle aches, and I slept better, though, but I still have no energy. I absolutely do not like the dizziness, although it has gotten slightly better. I know all of these things are listed as possible side effects from cortef, but the doctor thought that there would not be any adverse effects with such a small dose. It doesn't seem to be that common. It's only been 2 weeks, though.

Can anyone relate? What do you think I should do? Is licorice helpful to anyone?

Old 04-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
(female)

sjsanford HB User

Try taking a vitamin B12 supplement. That has helped me tremendously.

Closed Thread