It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
adrenals and in pain??

"I have been feeling ill for sometime, I got diagnosed with an underactive thyroid last Aug. I have been on 75 mcg of Levo since I started last Aug. I was a little better but from Nov I seem to have started going down hill. Since my dear mum died in Feb. of this year I have got so ill, I feel so weak. The pain I am getting near my Adrenals Is so bad I have had pain just about everywhere and still no period with high levels of Prolactin over a (1000). I went to A& E Wednesday night with the pain the doctor did a urine test and said I have a urine infection and he as put me on 500mg of Ciprofloxacin Twice a day.
Does anyone else here with Cushing’s get urine infections? What worries me is that it will be difficult to clear. Even simple things like a cut finger appear to be taking a long time to heal.

Also I look so very pale - does anyone else have this problem?

I have an appointment with an Endo next week and it can't come sooner! What tests should I ask for with regards to adrenals? I don't want to walk away without answers this time so it would really help me if you could advise me.

If I have posted these questions in the wrong area could someone please redirect me. I'm new to this site and am not too sure.

Thanks for all your help as always"

I have had pain where my adrenals are for over three months now, which I thought were my Kidneys, I have only just learnt in the last few weeks about my Adrenals being right next to the Kidneys. Which I have had checked. Sometimes when I walk they feel really tight, I can barely walk. The pain becomes evident and worse when I wake up or when I have been laying down; was yours like this. I am worried that I am not going to make it till Friday, are they going to pack in on me.

What were your symptoms? I have had lots of different symptoms, but the list is too long. I appreciate any help that you can give to me and wish you all the best.

What can I ask on Friday? I feel like sitting there until they admit me actually, and like everybody I hate hospitals. I think it is a thing called desperado.

All the best

Take Care Love Mandy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
Inactive

WandaB HB User
Re: adrenals and in pain??

mad maz, I just posted this info in a reply to someone else. Have the ACTH test done. Make sure they are doing it correctly. Should be done first thing in the morning. Have your sodium & potassium checked. Be sure to get copies of your lab results so you can actually see what they are.

You have an adrenal sitting on top of each kidney.

Symptoms
The symptoms of adrenal insufficiency usually begin gradually. Chronic, worsening fatigue and muscle weakness, loss of appetite, and weight loss are characteristic of the disease. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea occur in about 50 percent of cases. Blood pressure is low and falls further when standing, causing dizziness or fainting. Skin changes also are common in Addison's disease, with areas of hyperpigmentation, or dark tanning, covering exposed and nonexposed parts of the body. This darkening of the skin is most visible on scars; skin folds; pressure points such as the elbows, knees, knuckles, and toes; lips; and mucous membranes.

Addison's disease can cause irritability and depression. Because of salt loss, a craving for salty foods also is common. Hypoglycemia, or low blood glucose, is more severe in children than in adults. In women, menstrual periods may become irregular or stop.

Because the symptoms progress slowly, they are usually ignored until a stressful event like an illness or an accident causes them to become worse. This is called an addisonian crisis, or acute adrenal insufficiency. In most cases, symptoms are severe enough that patients seek medical treatment before a crisis occurs. However, in about 25 percent of patients, symptoms first appear during an addisonian crisis.

Symptoms of an addisonian crisis include sudden penetrating pain in the lower back, abdomen, or legs; severe vomiting and diarrhea, followed by dehydration; low blood pressure; and loss of consciousness. Left untreated, an addisonian crisis can be fatal.

top of page

Diagnosis
In its early stages, adrenal insufficiency can be difficult to diagnose. A review of a patient's medical history based on the symptoms, especially the dark tanning of the skin, will lead a doctor to suspect Addison's disease.

A diagnosis of Addison's disease is made by biochemical laboratory tests. The aim of these tests is first to determine whether there are insufficient levels of cortisol and then to establish the cause. X-ray exams of the adrenal and pituitary glands also are useful in helping to establish the cause.

ACTH Stimulation Test
This is the most specific test for diagnosing Addison's disease. In this test, blood cortisol, urine cortisol, or both are measured before and after a synthetic form of ACTH is given by injection. In the so-called short, or rapid, ACTH test, measurement of cortisol in blood is repeated 30 to 60 minutes after an intravenous ACTH injection. The normal response after an injection of ACTH is a rise in blood and urine cortisol levels. Patients with either form of adrenal insufficiency respond poorly or do not respond at all.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

robinhy HB User
Re: adrenals and in pain??

Mad maz,

I've had the adrenal pain you're talking about. For about 1 whole year starting right after my daughter was born. I tooo thought it was my kidneys because I had no ideas where the adrenals were. I also have hashis/hypoT. I was on armour for over 2 years before a adrenal dx....pure hell. Even now, HC is only helping a little and the pain still comes back. - I think the docs really messed me up.

Anyway, if the test results from your endo come out negative and you still feel like it's your adrenals try doing a saliva test.

Good luck

Closed Thread