It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
(female)

christinev HB User
Adrenal Fatigue related to menstrual cycle

Does anyone know whether low cortisol and adrenal fatigue can occur seemingly only during certain parts of the menstrual cycle? After my period I have very bad fatigue (not anemic) that lasts for a week or more. It's mainly during the afternoons and it feels like exhaustion unrelated to anything I'm doing. I think my cortisols levels are low. But then I usually have good energy for about a week before my period. Any connection?

Old 07-20-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
(female)

crowgirl HB User
Re: Adrenal Fatigue related to menstrual cycle

It's interesting you should say that, because I'm having the exact same experience every month (or every cycle, rather). I was planning to do a 24-hour cortisol profile test (saliva), but my sleep cycle gets messed up each month (cycle) as well, so I haven't been able to take the test yet.

Sorry I haven't been much help--just wanted to let you know I can relate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
(female)

christinev HB User

I just took the saliva test for cortisol so I'll see if that shows anything. Sorry you're having problems but it's good to hear from someone who can relate. I also have some sleep problems mainly before my period. Since I'm nearing 50 (but no real menopause symptoms) I wonder also if the exhaustion is related to lowered hormone levels after my period. But then I've had this for about 10 years I think although only recently connected it to certain time in cycle. Well, I'll post if I get any more info and maybe someone else will write in. Christine

Old 07-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
(female)

ddwivedi HB User

[QUOTE=christinev]Does anyone know whether low cortisol and adrenal fatigue can occur seemingly only during certain parts of the menstrual cycle? After my period I have very bad fatigue (not anemic) that lasts for a week or more. It's mainly during the afternoons and it feels like exhaustion unrelated to anything I'm doing. I think my cortisols levels are low. But then I usually have good energy for about a week before my period. Any connection?

Recently I got ACTH stimulation test for establishing a diagnosis for morning low cortisol levels ,I too do have all those symptoms just before periods including lactation,I am 36 and am not breast feeding .Hence I do believe there is a connection.I am trying to educate myself about Addison,whatever is the outcome of the test.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
(female)

christinev HB User

So you have the fatigue before your period? Did you get results from the ACTH yet? Is it a fatigue that's different from a sleepy tiredness? Mine is and I can almost feel it in my chest area (hard to describe) but not like ordinary tiredness.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 PM   #6
(female)

ddwivedi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinev
So you have the fatigue before your period? Did you get results from the ACTH yet? Is it a fatigue that's different from a sleepy tiredness? Mine is and I can almost feel it in my chest area (hard to describe) but not like ordinary tiredness.
Yes ACTH stimulation test results are back and normal,however the symptoms are still there just before period - fatigue,depression,increased level of anxiety,acne,brain fog ,low energy ,vague headaches ,tiredness.
and constant symptoms are:sore hip and shoulder soft tissue,acne, vague stomach ache ,vague headaches,high B.P.mild pigmentation of tongue and gumand tiredness.Drs.explain it as anxiety,but what about milk leakage and irregular period ?????
Otherwise I do try and drag myself doing everything throughout the month but during period I can't do anything and life feels like a burden.I want to feel fresh which I haven't ever since I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 10 ears back(am on Levo 100mcg)
Have an appointment with endo in Oct,things dont move in London that fast.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
(female)

christinev HB User

Is it PMS? Have you seen a naturopath by any chance? Maybe they could suggest some things to help. Do you take flax? I just read a book called Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled? - it's talks about thyroid, adrenal, and reproductive hormones and imbalances and what to do about it. Not sure it's answered my questions but it has a quiz to see which hormone might be out of whack. Hope you get to bottom of it.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
(female)

ddwivedi HB User
Red face Re: Adrenal Fatigue related to menstrual cycle

[QUOTE=christinev]Is it PMS? Have you seen a naturopath ......
Thank you for your response--- could it be PMS??
I can't comprehend if it is PMS as I started getting these symptoms about4 months back, I have never had regular period since menarche I am 37 and overweightnow. I would try and explore alternative medicine(which is going to be expensive affair in UK specially in London) as soon as any definitive diagnosis is made.Other symptoms are incontinence and slightly cheged bowel habits.Life seems to be dragging on,however, reading posts on this board has given a ray of hope that there are people out there having similar problems and leading fairly normal life,hence gives kind of boost that I will also have some kind of solution after the diagnosis is made.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #9
(female)

Chrispy61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinev
Does anyone know whether low cortisol and adrenal fatigue can occur seemingly only during certain parts of the menstrual cycle? After my period I have very bad fatigue (not anemic) that lasts for a week or more. It's mainly during the afternoons and it feels like exhaustion unrelated to anything I'm doing. I think my cortisols levels are low. But then I usually have good energy for about a week before my period. Any connection?
Hi Christinev, I'm Chrispy61 My daughter was Just diagnosis with AD and she was in mid stream of menstrual cycle. it made it worse. I'm learing about the disease now for 3 days. As I learn more I'll pass it on to everyone.
Please ask you Dr maybe when the time of cycle comes there is something you can do to make you feel 100%. This is a Great Board. I'm going to get my daughter to join.

Chrispy61

Old 09-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi christine, i can relate so much to your story i have the same exact thing! amazing after my period i have such horrible exhaustion i dont even know how i do so much during the day i drag myself all day, anyway i have good energy before my period too, it seems i am a mess for about 20 days of the month anyway i will try an adrenal bovine extract supplement have you tried that?

Old 02-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
(female)

cvillani HB User

Hi Jenny...I just saw this. Have been trying to forget about health stuff and just live but here I am post period and very fatigued. I haven't tried any adrenal bovine supplements....has it worked for you? I was getting acupuncture which helped a little but seemed to give me other symptoms I didn't like. I am just trying to coast through those bad days and rest when I can. I plan to take another saliva test soon and see how my adrenals and other hormones are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to cvillani For This Useful Post:
sonyadavid (07-19-2012)
Closed Thread