It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
(female)

dawnuk HB User
Muscle Atrophy can it be reversed??? Help

Hi,
I am new to these boards as far as posting is concerned, although have read many threads for your help.

I get my results from a short syncathan test on 9th Aug, but my biggest concern is not exactly the weight loss as I have only lost a few pounds but i look like i have lost more through muscle wastage.
The tops of my arms and thighs have gone really flabby with all the muscle gone. I have not yet been diagnosed Addison's or Adrenal Stress etc as yet but I do have pigmentation down sides of face and neck, low blood pressure, irratable, i don't crave salt but know I am better with it than without, my hair has gone gray and thin, and so it goes on, amongst many more symptoms which i'm sure most of you know only too well.

My main problem - which i can't stand is muscle wastage, i'm embarressed to wear sleeveless tops in hot weather, but do anyway, i hate getting dressed up now as i make do with anything as i feel i look awful anyway.
My family ask me if i'm ok all the time when i see them, they can't help it they just worry.
I know i've had a crsis or similar in the past, it the deck, hot clammy, needing to eat, hypoglycemia.
Can anyone tell if any treatment they have had for addison's or adrenals has helped muscle wastage. When i did weights it made it worse.
Please any ideas i could investigate would be a start.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: Muscle Atrophy can it be reversed??? Help

Dawn,

I don't have addison,I do have MS and my last attack left me with muscle atrophy of the limbs.I am slowly building it back.I've done it with rubber band therapy,its slow,less exertion and pain less.I walk a little each day several times a day.Lite weights,basically 5 pound arm weights twice a day.I ride my exercise bike about 5 minutes 3 x a day.I have seen improvement,slow improvement,but I'll take it.I had a hard time wearing shorts and sleeveless tops ,but I get hot to.I hear it from my family also about being to thin or are you okay.I hope this helps.
Toni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
(female)

dawnuk HB User
Re: Muscle Atrophy can it be reversed??? Help

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the reply.
I have actually tried all this, I was once a member of a gym and had a programme done specially for me by a top trainer, who has since gone to Oz to work.
She actually told me to stop exercising with weights as it was making me lose more muscle, she monitored me very closely for 4 months and felt i was exercise intolerant.
The job I do now means i'm always on my feet, it's not that i feel weak, although i do sometimes, it's more that the more i do the thinner my arms and thighs go.
I have heard of this before but with no solutions.

Sorry to hear about your MS, and hope you are coping ok. You seem quite positive, and good to hear you are getting results - slow as they may be at least in the right direction, keep pumping those arm weights Toni.

And good luck with your training.
Take Care
Regards
Dawnuk

Last edited by dawnuk; 07-24-2006 at 07:23 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to dawnuk For This Useful Post:
ptm0331 (11-02-2012)
Closed Thread