It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

elibullock HB User
Addison's and Pregnancy

Hi,

I'm new to this board, but happy to find so much info on Addison's. I was first diagnosed when I was pregnant with my now 2 1/2 year old son (2004). I was very sick for 5 1/2 months when finally another doctor at a different hospital diagnosed me.

Now 9 weeks pregnant and on 30mg of cortef my docs are worried about suppressing the babies adrenals. My endo said I would be fine with this pregnancy by the way.

Anyway, anyone know about the affects of cortef in unborn babies, prgnancy and addisons in general.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
(female)

k_c_lady HB User
Re: Addison's and Pregnancy

My husband & I am thinking about having another baby (my son is alos 2 1/2). We can't start trying until Jan. 2007. (I was on the shot) When I was told i had Addisons in the hospital (a little over a year now), they said to make sure I was always on some form of BC. B/c they didn't know the effects of Cortef on the baby. They said could hurt the brain, hurting it's IQ. I am going to be talking to my Doctors about this in the next few months. If this is the case, I would rather go 9 months of hell then to hurt my baby's IQ. I never thought about the babys adrenals. I will ask about that too. Good Luck!

Kiesha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

elibullock HB User

Hi KC,

Yes, I was on the shot too, it took 1 year after to get pregnant, but going on the pill helped and I got pregnant only 3months after getting off the pill.

Anyway, You won't just go through hell if you don't take meds, you could die (that's what my doc told me would have happened if I didn't start the cortef), you might do more harm then good. I was in and out of the hospial countless time, on a feeding tube and pic line for fliuds. My doc didn't mension anything about brian defects, but I'm seeing a preinatologist Oct. 12 and I have my first ultrasound tonight, so I'll keep you posted. My keep posted too.

Thanks,

Beth

Old 09-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #4
(female)

k_c_lady HB User

I am just wondering how long you where on the shot? I really don't have a year to try. I want to get prego right away. Wishful thinking! I want to to be prego by the time my son turns four. Thats next Dec.

When I was pregnant with my son, I was sick for seven months! In & out of ED all the time! I was 150 when I got pregnant & 150 when I had him. Poor little guy just couldn't gain any more weight. I was induced at 32 weeks. They said that he would be fine but he wasn't. We really didn't find out until much later. In April, we found out that he he had to get glasses b/c his left eye wasn't focusing right. The doctor said if he doesn't wear his glasses that his brian will stop using it and he will go blind in that eye. However, yesterday we got some good news! His eyes where so bad that he couldn't see past his elbows! However, with his glasses, his eyes have gotten better! So he wouldn't also have to wear "coke" bottle looking lens! (they are really thick!) It was really hard at first. I wish I would have waited to have him. The doctors said that he can't even have them corrected! They are that bad! CRY!

You have a good point! I want to be here for my little one go grow up! I really need to talk to my doctors!

Good Luck! I will keep you posted as well. Thanks! Kiesha

Old 09-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
(female)

elibullock HB User

Hi Keisha,

I was on the shot 3 months after my son was born, so almost 2 1/2 years. If you're on the pill for a few months you should be able to get prego, I was stubborn, and waited 9 months to see if I would menstrate on my own (which I never did).

I just had my ultra sound and the baby is the right size for 10 weeks. Even with the 30 mg of cortef, .2 of florinef and 8mg of Zofran (for nausa). I'm still not great, but no trips to the ER.

So, I don't think the cortef affects the baby in the womb as much as when their born will their body start producing the corizone on there own, since they were used to getting it from me.

Glad your son eye's are better, my brother had to wear a patch at that age, and he still can't see out of that eye.

Beth

Old 09-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
(female)

k_c_lady HB User

Beth,

I am gald to hear that the baby is gaining weight! Congrads BTW!!

I was only on the shot for 3 months. I just couldn't take the pill any more! I am wondering when I period is going to start! I was thinking about having a tubial after the baby is born, but I am not so sure now. It would be much easier for him to have his things sniped and for me to have surgery! Or I just might go back on the shot. However, now, they are saying that you shouldn't be on it for more than2 years. Something about your bones... Just great! Right??

Have a good night! Stay Healthy! Kiesha

Old 01-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
(female)

elibullock HB User

Hi Again,

Well I'm now 25 weeks pregnant and feeling really good, my level II ultrasound is completely normal. The perinatologist said the cortizone won't prenitrate the plesenta so it doesn't affect the baby!

Old 01-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
(female)

kjos HB User

i just found out i was pregnant 2 months ago .. i have addisons , diabetes and hypothyroidism.. scared as hell but the docs seem 2 think cortisone wont hurt the baby.ive only ever been on oral cortef though...hope it all goes wel 4 u

Closed Thread