HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Addison's Disease (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addisons-disease/)
-   -   Adrenal Fatigue (Success stories w/ Cortef) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addisons-disease/448547-adrenal-fatigue-success-stories-w-cortef.html)

AlwaysTired247 11-21-2006 12:41 PM

Adrenal Fatigue (Success stories w/ Cortef)

Is/has anyone suffering from Adrenal Fatigue been perscribed Cortef and seen wonderful results?

How long were/have you been on it?

Have you stopped taking it, and feel that your glands are healed?

What else did you take while on Cortef? (Supplements, vitamins)

What were you doing while on Cortef, as far goes as exercising? Were you taking it easy, or where you able to lift weights, and be active with sports?

Thanks!

2jen 11-21-2006 07:38 PM

Re: Adrenal Fatigue (Success stories w/ Cortef)

[QUOTE=AlwaysTired247]Is/has anyone suffering from Adrenal Fatigue been perscribed Cortef and seen wonderful results?

How long were/have you been on it?

Have you stopped taking it, and feel that your glands are healed?

What else did you take while on Cortef? (Supplements, vitamins)

What were you doing while on Cortef, as far goes as exercising? Were you taking it easy, or where you able to lift weights, and be active with sports?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
I haven't felt so great since starting cortef, the symptom I usually get is nasuea(thats not spelled right) and I think its a symptom of the medication. Every now and then I get lightheaded but I take that as a sign to take more cortef. I have also noticed that I feel really sick if I don't take my medication first thing in the morning.

I have been on cortef since September and I am taking 5 mg in the morning and 15 in the afternoon. I am also on 2500mg of calicum (5x a day) and am also on vit d supplement but I can't remember the name of the medication right now.

WandaB 11-21-2006 07:57 PM

2jen,
You should have 10mg in the morning when you first get up or while still in bed. 5mg about noon & 5mg about 5pm.

5mg Cortef in the morning is not enough so you have nausea. Our replacement meds are supposed to be taken first thing in the morning. Many of us take some of the morning dose before getting out of bed.

2jen 11-21-2006 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=WandaB]2jen,
You should have 10mg in the morning when you first get up or while still in bed. 5mg about noon & 5mg about 5pm.

5mg Cortef in the morning is not enough so you have nausea. Our replacement meds are supposed to be taken first thing in the morning. Many of us take some of the morning dose before getting out of bed.[/QUOTE]

Oh you are right, I wrote it down wrong! I take a pill and a half in the morning which is 15mg and a half a pill in the afternoon, which is 5. I was on 20 in the morning and 10 in the afternoon and I just felt horrible, my face got puffy and I gained a little weight. I am feeling much better on the lower dose, but I still have bouts of nasusea. Sometimes I just get nauseas randomly though. I have noticed that if I take a nap, I usually feel really sick when I wake up. From what I have read, neausea is a side effect of cortef, so I am guessing that is whats going on. I have been telling my endo and he is just trying to figure it all out. I am debating getting a second opinion just to see what someone else has to say. For the most part I am feeling much better on the lower dose of cortef, but now they are thinking I also might have Hashimotos disease which I will find out about on Monday. Thanks for helping me figure all of this out, it can be so confusing at times!

WandaB 11-21-2006 10:25 PM

2jen,
Nausea is not a side effect of Cortef. It could be that your body doesn't like Cortef in which case you could switch to it's generic Hydrocortisone. Just ask your doc to switch you. Not a big deal to switch & it just might help you.

It might help you to go to the dose schedule I mentioned before to spread out your dose. You may also have to add 5mg. You should have ""NO"" nausea on a regular basis.

AlwaysTired247 11-22-2006 05:22 AM

Thank you both for your replies.

Is there much of a difference between hydrocortisone and cortef? Is one better than the other?

Thanks again.

2jen 11-22-2006 08:42 AM

[QUOTE=WandaB]2jen,
Nausea is not a side effect of Cortef. It could be that your body doesn't like Cortef in which case you could switch to it's generic Hydrocortisone. Just ask your doc to switch you. Not a big deal to switch & it just might help you.

It might help you to go to the dose schedule I mentioned before to spread out your dose. You may also have to add 5mg. You should have ""NO"" nausea on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]

There is a generic version!!! My insurance only covers generic prescriptions and my pharmacy told me there wasn't a generic version of cortef! Granted, its only $35 a month, but if I could get it for $10 that would be even better. I just figured nausea was a part of it, I always wake up neauseas, is that not normal either or is it because I haven't taken cortef yet? I go back to the endo on Monday so I will definetely mention it. Thank you so much for your help.

WandaB 11-22-2006 08:46 AM

alwaystired,
The fillers are different in Hydrocortisone & Cortef. One is not better than the other. It is just a matter of which one you do better on. I do best on Hydrocortisone or Prednisone, but know of many who take Cortef & do fine. We are all very different.

When I have to increase for a cold or broncitis I use Prednisone. Sometimes use total Prednisone for it's anti-inflammatory benefits. Knocking on wood...it has been a LONG time!

AlwaysTired247 11-22-2006 09:31 AM

Are both of your diagnosis for Adrenal fatigue, or addisons?

Thanks!!! :)

2jen 11-22-2006 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=AlwaysTired247]Are both of your diagnosis for Adrenal fatigue, or addisons?

Thanks!!! :)[/QUOTE]

I have been diagnosed with a mild case of addisons disease.

gettin' better 11-22-2006 10:05 AM

I was diagnosed three years ago with panhypopituitarism, which means my pituitary gland is not functioning. I was well into an adrenal crisis by the time they figured out what was going on. I was prescribed Cortef and it literally saved my life. I saw results almost immediately, and the difference in my health was huge. I currently take 20 mg of Cortef (15 in the morning and 5 in the evening). I also replace the other hormones as needed. And I agree with Wanda: if you are still having nausea, you aren't getting enough Cortef.

WandaB 11-22-2006 10:27 AM

I have addisons disease.

AlwaysTired247 11-22-2006 10:37 AM

For all :

What is your activity in life like now with cortef/hydrocortisone?

Are you active in sports, exercise, and feel like you can enjoy life again? Do you feel energized after doing exercise, or physical exhurstion, or do you feel run down, and need naps?

Do you find that after time, you can enjoy things like sugar snacks, and junk food... every once in a while?

WandaB 11-22-2006 10:41 AM

2jen,
Since you are taking full replacement you have addisons disease/adrenal insufficiency & your adrenals are not working. Do you have an emergency shot on hand in case of crisis?

2jen 11-22-2006 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=WandaB]2jen,
Since you are taking full replacement you have addisons disease/adrenal insufficiency & your adrenals are not working. Do you have an emergency shot on hand in case of crisis?[/QUOTE]

I asked the doctor about keeping a cortisol shot on hand and he didn't think it was neccessary. I do keep my cortef with me at all times and I was also told to get a medical alert bracelet. I am just so confused with all of this, I am newly diagnosed and I think my doctor is just trying to figure out the right dosage for me. I am really interested in trying a different medication other than cortef and to see how I feel after that.

Do you keep the shot of cortisol with you?