It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
(male)

Ivoryz00 HB User
I Need Help Understanding Labs. Addison's or Not?

I just got my lab results from my second opinion Endocrine doctor. She said "according to the records, I don't have Addison's Disease." With that said, she didn't totally conclude her analysis. She reassured me with other possibilities. I'm kind of at a lost right now, and very frustrated. I'm assuming these are good numbers, but I have no clue.

TSH................. 1.69 reference range (.61 - 1.25 ng/dL)
FT4................. 0.88 reference range (.34 - 4.82 uIU/mL)

LH.................. 3.5 reference range (1.7 - 11.2 mIU/mL)
Prolactin.......... 6.8 reference range (3.6 - 16.3 ng/mL)
FSH................ 1.4 s * *no range given* *
Cortisol........... 21.3 reference range (10.4 - 26.4 ug/dL)
ACTH, Plasma....29 pg/mL reference range (6 - 48 pg/mL)

Insulin Like Growth Factor......182ng/mL reference range (116 - 358)
Free Testosterone................21.1pg/mL reference range (9.3 - 26.5)
Anti-Adrenal Antibodies.........NEGATIVE
Diabetic.............................NEG ATIVE

I trust my Endo's opinion, based on the facts. She was WAY better and more thorough than my 1st endo. But I'm SO confused and still bent on Addison's. I've shown more symptoms that are pretty consistent with the disease, minus hyperpigmentation. I even had a stimulation test done at a hospital that later revealed I was lacking in one of the hormones (not sure if it was cortisol or aldosterone). Her explanation for that was "some people may have this occurance due to malnutrition, or some other variable." I don't doubt that could've been my case because at the time I was malnourished. I had a very poor appetite, nausea 24-7, and lost about 35 lbs. Since then I've gained about 20-25lbs, maybe due to appetite stimulators given to me in pill form. But, I still believe it's being overlooked somehow! Infact, during that same time at the hospital one of my doctors felt "really confident" about a possible diagnosis of Addison's.

My endo doctor stated "that even though I'm experiencing the common symptoms of Addison's, my results show no indication of the disease. But, it doesn't totally exclude the possiblity....it may develop later in life." She also said she was a little concerned about my White Blood Cell Count, which was low. I've had a very low white blood cell count for a quite some time now. Last week it was 2.7 L (reference range of 4.1 - 10.2 K/uL), and it's been as low as 2.3 L. She wants me to further investigate that with a Blood Doctor, thinking maybe it's linked somehow with my symptoms.

I read in a previous thread that you could still have Addison's in spite of negative anti-adrenal antibodies and normal cortisol readings. Do you think it's possible I could still have Addison's after looking at my results?

Mind you, she didn't check my aldosterone levels. She also didn't do the true definitive test, which is the ACTH stimulation test. Should I request this test even though she may think it's unecessary? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kmatthew HB User
Re: I Need Help Understanding Labs. Addison's or Not?

I wish I could help you, I just wanted you to know that I feel for what you are going through. I have not found a doctor yet who knows much about this disease, and my antibody test was negative too, but I have all the symptoms of Addison's except for the skin part too. I don't understand it all to give you advice. I wish you luck.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kmatthew HB User

opps hit send twice sorry

Last edited by kmatthew; 12-10-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:43 AM   #4
(male)

hardy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivoryz00
Mind you, she didn't check my aldosterone levels. She also didn't do the true definitive test, which is the ACTH stimulation test. Should I request this test even though she may think it's unecessary? Thanks.
Addison's disease without hyperpigmentation really has symptoms that could be caused by literally hundreds of other diseases. Although a single cortisol blood draw is not really a good indicator of whether you have addison's disease your cortisol levels are so high that it is quite unlikely.

Since you did have a low white blood cell count I would try to figure out what caused that. Most diseases that cause a low wbc count produce symptoms similar to addison's.

And let me add the following: During one of my hospital stays a doctor was "sure" that I have Lyme's disease. I tested negative for Lyme's and a few months later I was tested for Addidon's and diagnosed. A doctor can't really be sure about such things without the appropriate testing since many diseases are just too similar.

Last edited by hardy; 12-11-2006 at 07:56 AM.

Closed Thread