It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
(male)

Matty HB User
Do I ever need some help...

Hey everyone,

I’m a 26 year old Canadian boy that needs help… to be honest, I’ve needed help for the last three years but recently things are coming to a breaking point. I’m just writing to get my story across more than anything. I appreciate any of those who are willing to read obviously.

To make a long story short, about four years ago I had a terrible run that lasted about two years. It began with cystic acne that scarred me, where I turned to Accutane, which in turn left me with almost every possible side affect on the back of that package. I also got heavy into street drugs, I was smoking a lot, not eating anything, skateboarding like a maniac, not sleeping, until a depressive crash which left my immune system in tatters it seemed (I was picking up easy infections). I was on my own living in Toronto and I really crashed at the end.

I saw countless doctors near the end because I wasn’t the same. I don’t want to name too many symptoms because that’s what I think confused the many, the numerous doctors I “waited” to see. Everything was so cloudy to me – in fact I’ve spent the last three years just going through every possible condition one by one. Countless research hours… I know my body so well right now. I’ve had to do this because I’ve been labeled everything from depressant, to psychotic to bipolar (latest). In fact I’m on Seroquel and I hate the stuff. The only thing it does is help me sleep. But in the end, it does nothing for me mentally (much like any other anti-whatever medication I’ve been on). I mean I’m a smart kid and I know well enough to stop and say, “Wait a minute, this is not Bipolar. Perhaps it’s a case of the symptom being the cause?” The problem as I’ve understood it is that many doctors don’t see it that way. Every doctor I went to see has told me that the fatigue is a “symptom” of the depression/brain fog/whatever else. All this time I’ve been chasing my own tail. The only slight sign of relief I have found in the last three years was a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea – which I had to self diagnose once again. Yes that’s right, I also seemed to have picked up moderate sleep apnea somewhere in the last three years. The help from CPAP is noticeable but it does nothing for my long term exhaustion. I will never forget what the sleep doctor said to me when I walked into her office awaiting my sleep test results. She looked at the results on paper and looked surprised when she said, “I would have thought that these results were for a 60 year old bigger man." I mean I only weigh 160 pounds at 6 foot (I have to watch my diet). Regardless…

What I have is significant (if not extreme) adrenal exhaustion at 26. I myself, have had to self diagnose through years of isolation. It’s a friggin’ tragedy!!! I haven’t even gone to see a doctor yet and I know in my heart 110% this is what it is. I have all of the symptoms pretty severe in fact. How did I know this is what I had? For those interested, I recently started at the cortisol level. I have always had a fat belly area despite being so thin. It’s so abnormal at 26 I must say (especially considering I keep a good diet now and don’t drink a lot)… and it’s been this way only since the crash… and it’s not your typical fat, it seems to be loose (hard to describe). Eww, sorry. So anyways, I began looking into why I could possibly have this, and I read much about males and cortisol levels relating to bigger stomach areas. Knowing that I don’t respond (and its getting worse) to stress (in fact it’s almost crippling now), I thought the simple answer was to lower cortisol. After countless hours of research on this (because I don’t like to jump to conclusions anymore), I realized that you cannot directly lower cortisol levels as this is part of the negative feedback loop of the HPA-Axis. I also realized that a healthy balance of cortisol is actually needed for proper health but that having too much was dangerous. So I immediately assumed that I had too much cortisol, but how would I correct the HPA-Axis? From here I hit a roadblock. There isn’t much research on correcting a way out of whack HPA-Axis without some pretty heavy duty meds (which may or may not work). Anyways from here I stumbled across Dr. Golan and his subsequent section on Adrenal Exhaustion. I cannot get over how much weight left my shoulders when I read this. Every single symptom I share:

• Fatigue, lethargy
o Lack of energy in the mornings, and also in the afternoon between 3 and 5 pm
o Often feel tired between 9 and 10 pm, but resist going to bed
• Lightheadedness (including dizziness and fainting) when rising from a sitting or laying-down position
• Lowered blood pressure and blood sugar
• Difficulty concentrating or remembering (brain fog)
• Consistently feeling unwell or difficulty recovering from infections
• Craving either salty or sugary foods to keep going
• Unexplained hair loss
• Nausea
• Alternating constipation and diarrhea
• Mild depression
• Decreased sex drive
• Sleep difficulties
• Unexplained pain in the upper back or neck
• Increased symptoms of PMS for women – periods are heavy and then stop (or almost stop) on the 4th day, only to start flow again on the 5th or 6th day
• Tendency to gain weight and inability to lose it – especially around the waist
• High frequency of getting the flu and other respiratory diseases – plus a tendency for them to last longer than usual

Almost everything above – was me. Each of which were applicable, becoming more and more extreme. It’s to the point where I’m running on sheer determination if that is possible. It’s to the point where I realize now that it all makes sense – what with the year plus of time just running my body into the ground. But the point is, I’ve never once had this suggestion from countless, countless doctors. And now, because of this (and I don’t care because I’m allowed to blame the system at this point), I have to go through my own wedding in two weeks and my own honeymoon, feeling more run down than ever. Living in Canada, things like DHEA are not readily available and to find a doctor that will look for this sort of thing was like pulling teeth. I have finally found and booked with one, albeit I have to wait another two months to get any sort of direction on this illness. I even wonder if part of the reason I have sleep apnea is because my body is just way to tired to even keep my lungs open to breathe at night. Anyways, I will definitely be producing reports along the way. I just wish this time around, I could get the direction and begin the path to wellness. But from what I understand it’s a long path… I just hope this isn’t more serious than I’m thinking it is at this point. I mean I know I am feeling like breaking down any moment, and I know this is a desperate situation, I just wonder how much damage has been done in the last three years of misdiagnosis. I don’t know enough about my adrenal situation/Addison's at this point but what I do know is that I used to have all the energy in the world to run for days without sleep. Now I can’t seem to do anything…

Last edited by Matty; 12-15-2006 at 07:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
Re: Do I ever need some help...

You sound like a very articulate and intelligent guy. Rarely have I read something that long that makes sense from start to finish.

It seems you may have more problems than just adrenal insufficiency. Let me ask a few questions, not all of these will apply to you and you might think of other things which you can add.

1. Do you wake up in the morning with a backache that goes away as the day progresses?

2. Do you have sexual performance problems?

3. Do you have dry skin? Especially hands/feet?

4. Do you have heavy callouses on your feet, especially on the heal of your foot and side of your big toe?

5. Do you have a sore tongue especially after eating acid/salty foods and does it have a white coating on it, especially in the morning when you wake up?

6. Have you checked your body temperature immediately upon waking? If not, do it a few days and take the average.

7. Do you have muscle/joint pains, especially in the knees when climbing stairs?

8. Do you have loose stool, not diahrea, but soft and not well formed?

9. Have you had any blows to your head, like in a car accident; around the time this all started?

10. Do you have a memory problem recalling events or things people said, but if they remind you about the event you can remember it well, as long as they keep supplying hints?

11. Do you have frequent stomach upset?

12. You mentioned having an inappropriate belly. Are your arms and legs unusually skinny considering how big your trunk is?

13. If you look at your eyebrows, is the outer 1/3 over your eye missing or very light compared to the inner 2/3's?

14. Has a doctor compared your blood pressure lying down and then immediately after you stand up? Was it different?

15. Have you lost muscle strength? Specifically is it harder to open pickle jars, or to lift things that previously you could do with no problem?

16. If you exercise does pain in your muscles cause you to stop or reduce your activity? Does the pain only go away if you stop completely?

17. Are you having vision problems? Specifically, loss of night vision, change in color vision between your two eyes (ie: red in one eye isn't quite the same color as the other), or loss of peripheral vision.

18. Sometimes does just the thought of doing something requiring physical energy just make you so tired you don't do it even if its important?

19. Have you noticed breathing problems almost like you feel you are getting asthma or do you have asthma of recent origin?

20. You mentioned frequent infections. How many colds/flu did you get last year and how long did they last? Do they go into your chest and cause you to use antibiotics?

21. How often are you taking antibiotics and have you ever taken antifungal prescription medicine?

22. Are you unusually tanned or have dark skin folds which seem inappropriate?

23. Do you suffer from anxiety for no apparent reason? Do you have heart palpitations? Have you noticed your heart seemingly missing beats?

24. Have you had any abnormal blood tests? Or have all of them come back normal?

25. Have you been tested for hepatitis, thyroid, diabetes, testosterone, prolactin or growth hormone?

Last edited by orion; 12-16-2006 at 01:23 AM.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
Inactive

WandaB HB User

Orion,
What does your question 4 mean?
4. Do you have heavy callouses on your feet, especially on the heal of your foot and side of your big toe?

Old 12-16-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WandaB
Orion,
What does your question 4 mean?
It indicates you may have thyroid related problems, although some people might have have such callouses from heavy work or frequent bare feet activity.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Matty,

Toronto is a big place. Why not look around for a doc (perhaps a naturopath or osteopath) who will do the sorts of endocrine tests that will help you figure out what's out of whack & how to fix it.

You likely won't get anywhere asking a psychiatrist to refer you. Do your own footwork, network among friends, phone office staff before scheduling a visit. Worst case scenario, pop across the border & order your own full thyroid panel (free T3 & free T4 plus antibodies), testosterone, DHEA level etc. at Health Check USA. Unfortunately, I don't think you can order an ACTH stim challenge test, which would be one of the most useful tests you could have done to rule out significant adrenal issues.

Many psych meds can interact w/the HPA axis. One consideration in the total package, and another good reason for thorough testing.

Best wishes.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:02 AM   #6
(male)

Matty HB User

Thanks everyone!!

I finally have booked an appointment with one of the top MDs/Naturpaths in the area (Toronto). From what I understand he is really good at understanding the latest information regarding adrenal/Thyroid function. I see him on february 6th. In preparation I have done the recommended - ordered an at home lab test to study Thyroid/adrenal. When I have these results I will post back! In the meantime, I will answer Orion, your questions below - thank you so much (for the compliment too)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
You sound like a very articulate and intelligent guy. Rarely have I read something that long that makes sense from start to finish.

It seems you may have more problems than just adrenal insufficiency. Let me ask a few questions, not all of these will apply to you and you might think of other things which you can add.

1. Do you wake up in the morning with a backache that goes away as the day progresses? ** No I can't say as I do although I have lower back pains other times in the day, sometimes pretty bad

2. Do you have sexual performance problems? ** For sure. My sex drive is a big fat zilch and I have a hard time maintaining an erection because I'm so tired and dsinterested usually.

3. Do you have dry skin? Especially hands/feet? ** Yes to the dry skin. Notice more so, cold extremeties but they are also dry.

4. Do you have heavy callouses on your feet, especially on the heal of your foot and side of your big toe? ** Not really no.

5. Do you have a sore tongue especially after eating acid/salty foods and does it have a white coating on it, especially in the morning when you wake up? ** White coating yes, sore I wouldn't say too often no.

6. Have you checked your body temperature immediately upon waking? If not, do it a few days and take the average. ** No but I know I'm extremely cold. I will measure soon.

7. Do you have muscle/joint pains, especially in the knees when climbing stairs?** My knees are terrible. I've had pain in this area for a long time.

8. Do you have loose stool, not diahrea, but soft and not well formed? ** Yes absolutely.

9. Have you had any blows to your head, like in a car accident; around the time this all started? ** Perhaps, I mean I did get into a few scrums where I took some nast head shots but not sure if this is related.

10. Do you have a memory problem recalling events or things people said, but if they remind you about the event you can remember it well, as long as they keep supplying hints? ** I have a terrible memory, almost non-existent short and long.

11. Do you have frequent stomach upset? ** Yeah

12. You mentioned having an inappropriate belly. Are your arms and legs unusually skinny considering how big your trunk is? ** My arms and legs are soooooo skinny.

13. If you look at your eyebrows, is the outer 1/3 over your eye missing or very light compared to the inner 2/3's? ** Not sure will have to check.

14. Has a doctor compared your blood pressure lying down and then immediately after you stand up? Was it different? ** Not sure.

15. Have you lost muscle strength? Specifically is it harder to open pickle jars, or to lift things that previously you could do with no problem? ** For sure.

16. If you exercise does pain in your muscles cause you to stop or reduce your activity? Does the pain only go away if you stop completely? ** Just get more tired from exercise.

17. Are you having vision problems? Specifically, loss of night vision, change in color vision between your two eyes (ie: red in one eye isn't quite the same color as the other), or loss of peripheral vision. ** Big vision loss in the last year.

18. Sometimes does just the thought of doing something requiring physical energy just make you so tired you don't do it even if its important? ** Huge complaint yes.

19. Have you noticed breathing problems almost like you feel you are getting asthma or do you have asthma of recent origin? ** I developed moderate to severe sleep apnea and I'm only 26 years old, weighing 160 pounds! They thought I should have been 60 years old when I came in.

20. You mentioned frequent infections. How many colds/flu did you get last year and how long did they last? Do they go into your chest and cause you to use antibiotics? ** Perhaps two or three. They run significant courses each time requiring antibiotics.

21. How often are you taking antibiotics and have you ever taken antifungal prescription medicine? ** No.

22. Are you unusually tanned or have dark skin folds which seem inappropriate? ** Not really.

23. Do you suffer from anxiety for no apparent reason? Do you have heart palpitations? Have you noticed your heart seemingly missing beats? ** Anxiety/panic attacks something fierece. Social paranoia.

24. Have you had any abnormal blood tests? Or have all of them come back normal? ** Never really seen the reuslts so I cna't comment yet.

25. Have you been tested for hepatitis, thyroid, diabetes, testosterone, prolactin or growth hormone?
** Soon I will have the results.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

From your answers Matty, I would say you have some kind of multiple hormone deficiency. Many of your symptoms correlate with a pituitary problem possibly caused by blows to the head. However, when related to vision problems things could be much more serious. It is possible that you have a pituitary adenoma and that needs to be checked out soon. Your GP could order an MRI for this.

If the vision problems you are experiencing include loss of some peripheral vision or loss of night vision then you need to see a neurologist immediately. If you experience sudden sharp severe headaches or a dramatic change in your vision such as double vision you need to go to the emergency room.

I think you are also seeing side effects from taking too many antibiotics. Those antibiotics kill the bacteria in your guts that you need to process food properly. Sometimes the kill off is so severe that you can get yeast overgrowth because bacteria eats yeast. The yeast generates byproducts that some people are sensitive to and causes stomach and intestine problems as well as a white tongue. The fix is to stop eating all sugar products for at least 3 weeks (includes breads, cereals, fruits, pop etc). Yeast eats sugar so it will stop multiplying without this food source. You most likely also need an antifungal medication like Nystatin which you must get from your GP. Nystatin will kill the yeast. Finally you need to find some bacteria pills that many vitamin stores sell. This will replace the lost bacteria and the new bacteria will begin to eat the yeast and keep it in balance. Try to find the pills with at least 3 types of bacteria.

Performance problems and low libido are a sure sign of hormone problems which may include any/all of the following: low testosterone, high prolactin, low cortisol, low DHEA and low thyroid hormone. You need those hormones checked as well as your LH and FSH (to determine the source of your libido problem). My guess is at least some of those hormones will be unusually low or high and will give a clue to the root of your problem.

By the way, I answered yes to all the 25 questions and multiple doctors still found me totally normal; which is exactly what I wanted to hear. Unfortunately they were wrong, and only great persistence on my part eventually lead to my pituitary problem. But by then the situation was severe. Don't let that happen to you. Doctors don't know everything and they need help. Write down all your symptoms in detail, keep a diary of your daily life showing how severly you are affected. See you GP to get an MRI and do the blood tests necessary to rule out a pituitary problem.

Finally, adrenal insufficiency can be life threatening. If you experience a high fever or great physical trama it is possible to go into shock from lack of cortisol. You need to go to emergency if those happen and tell them what is going on.

I am not a doctor, but I have lived through the symptoms you describe and I know the medical system in Canada isn't geared up to easily diagnosing obscure problems. You have to take an active part in helping yourself. Don't just rely on one doctor because many of them are too busy or too lazy to do the work necessary for some patients.

Good luck.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

I have included how I think each question is related to hormones. Remember a single test can be normal but all hormones are pulsed so one test isnt diagnostic of anything. Of course each symptom can also be related to other disease activity so one or two aren't particularly diagnostic either. Many together start to make the pattern more clear.

1. Do you wake up in the morning with a backache that goes away as the day progresses? ** No I can't say as I do although I have lower back pains other times in the day, sometimes pretty bad

[low back pain can be a sign of low cortisol, morning back pain is particularly indicative]

2. Do you have sexual performance problems? ** For sure. My sex drive is a big fat zilch and I have a hard time maintaining an erection because I'm so tired and dsinterested usually.

[connected with: low testosterone, high prolactin, low cortisol, low DHEA also abnormal LH and FSH]

3. Do you have dry skin? Especially hands/feet? ** Yes to the dry skin. Notice more so, cold extremeties but they are also dry.

[low thyroid especially if you also have cold/heat intolerance, low cortisol is often related to night sweats]

4. Do you have heavy callouses on your feet, especially on the heal of your foot and side of your big toe? ** Not really no.

[very low thyroid]

5. Do you have a sore tongue especially after eating acid/salty foods and does it have a white coating on it, especially in the morning when you wake up? ** White coating yes, sore I wouldn't say too often no.

[yeast/fungal infection in the mouth]

6. Have you checked your body temperature immediately upon waking? If not, do it a few days and take the average. ** No but I know I'm extremely cold. I will measure soon.

[morning basal temperatures below 96F are a sign of low thyroid]

7. Do you have muscle/joint pains, especially in the knees when climbing stairs?** My knees are terrible. I've had pain in this area for a long time.

[low testosterone, low DHEA]

8. Do you have loose stool, not diahrea, but soft and not well formed? ** Yes absolutely.

[fungal/yeast infection]

9. Have you had any blows to your head, like in a car accident; around the time this all started? ** Perhaps, I mean I did get into a few scrums where I took some nast head shots but not sure if this is related.

[possible pituitary damage, depends on how often and how hard the blow, but one hard blow can do damage by causing bleeding]

10. Do you have a memory problem recalling events or things people said, but if they remind you about the event you can remember it well, as long as they keep supplying hints? ** I have a terrible memory, almost non-existent short and long.

[low testosterone, low growth hormone, low cortisol, the later 2 are also related to brain fog]

11. Do you have frequent stomach upset? ** Yeah

[fungal/yeasst infection in the gut...often caused by frequent use of antibiotics]

12. You mentioned having an inappropriate belly. Are your arms and legs unusually skinny considering how big your trunk is? ** My arms and legs are soooooo skinny.

[a classic sign of low growth hormone, especially when connected with low muscle mass]

13. If you look at your eyebrows, is the outer 1/3 over your eye missing or very light compared to the inner 2/3's? ** Not sure will have to check.

[low thyroid]

14. Has a doctor compared your blood pressure lying down and then immediately after you stand up? Was it different? ** Not sure.

[if the pressure is not the same = low cortisol]

15. Have you lost muscle strength? Specifically is it harder to open pickle jars, or to lift things that previously you could do with no problem? ** For sure.

[low testosterone, low growth hormone, low DHEA]

16. If you exercise does pain in your muscles cause you to stop or reduce your activity? Does the pain only go away if you stop completely? ** Just get more tired from exercise.

[low cortisol, low testosterone, low DHEA]

17. Are you having vision problems? Specifically, loss of night vision, change in color vision between your two eyes (ie: red in one eye isn't quite the same color as the other), or loss of peripheral vision. ** Big vision loss in the last year.

[pituitary adenoma or migraine]

18. Sometimes does just the thought of doing something requiring physical energy just make you so tired you don't do it even if its important? ** Huge complaint yes.

[low cortisol, low thyroid]

19. Have you noticed breathing problems almost like you feel you are getting asthma or do you have asthma of recent origin? ** I developed moderate to severe sleep apnea and I'm only 26 years old, weighing 160 pounds! They thought I should have been 60 years old when I came in.

[asthma = low DHEA, sleep apnea with no weight problems = low growth hormone]

20. You mentioned frequent infections. How many colds/flu did you get last year and how long did they last? Do they go into your chest and cause you to use antibiotics? ** Perhaps two or three. They run significant courses each time requiring antibiotics.

[low thyroid, low cortisol, low testosterone] {adding zinc, selenium and vitamin C as well as a multivitamin is a good idea..each adds a bit to your immune system}

21. How often are you taking antibiotics and have you ever taken antifungal prescription medicine? ** No.

[you should take anti fungal as well or at least take probiotics from a health food store]

22. Are you unusually tanned or have dark skin folds which seem inappropriate? ** Not really.

[means you probably don't have Addison's disease, but most likely have adrenal insufficiency caused by a pituitary problem]

23. Do you suffer from anxiety for no apparent reason? Do you have heart palpitations? Have you noticed your heart seemingly missing beats? ** Anxiety/panic attacks something fierece. Social paranoia.

[low thyroid combined with normal corisol and/or low growth hormone, low growth hormone also can cause apathy, self social isolation, fatigue and brain fog]

24. Have you had any abnormal blood tests? Or have all of them come back normal? ** Never really seen the reuslts so I cna't comment yet.

[ALWAYS get copies of every test you have so that if nothing else you can check how things are changing or inform new doctors about past test results]

[phone your GP and find out the test results and see what tests were actually done]

Last edited by orion; 12-19-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
(male)

trsgew19 HB User

Your condition seems similar to mine. I never knew why at the time, but when i smoked weed when i was younger i would break out and feel horrible after a month or two on it. When i started smoking cigarettes all hell broke loose and i developed cystic acne which also scared me and left me feeling even worse than the weed did. Because of this I turned to accutane and my health was brought to a lower level than i ever thought possible. I come to find out that my liver was getting extremely congested. My immune system turned on my body and caused psoriasis and the destruction of my tendons. I have gotten myself a lot better by taking glutathione with liposome technology, doing the master cleanser fast, then a few liver flushes. I got out many stones some as big as a half inch. Throughout this entire time I have eaten extremely healthy and a lot of symptoms have disappeared. I have also started taking probiotics, florasmart to be exact. I hope this helps and never give up.

Closed Thread