It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
(female)

brisson1 HB User
new here with test results please help

hello everyone,

i need some help figuring out these test results.
i had the acth test and have got the results.

basal 416 mmol/l
rising to 602mmol/l after injection

does this mean that my adrenals are working properly, i read that the levels are supposed to double. I also read that metoclopramide increase atch levels. I take this for my awful constant nausea, would it have any effect on the test?

I also have hypothyroidism, would this effect the results in any way?

Im so confused and have just moved to canada from uk, and dont have health insurance yet so am left to interpret these results by myself.

Please help, many thanks

Old 01-01-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
Re: new here with test results please help

It should double at least, your result indicates adrenal insufficiency.

Is your hypothyroid treated or untreated? Untreated can affect how cortisol works in your body but shouldn't affect the test results.

Last edited by orion; 01-01-2007 at 03:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
(female)

brisson1 HB User

thanks orion,
i am being treated for hypothyroid with 100 levothroxine daily, but my levels are still not right.
many of my symptoms are similar to adrenal problems but they are also similar to the hypo problem. The worst by far is the nausea and bloating and also the foggy thinking.
i have had several episodes of acute stomach pain and have been to the er twice and they diagnosed a grumbling appendix both times. i have also been to the doctor with stomach and back pains and he diagnosed bowel colic. i dont know what an addisons crisis is like, can it resolved by itself when they give you iv fluids?
i feel like im making a fuss, my husband thinks im completely crazy researching addisons.

should i push for more tests?

Old 01-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Treating hypothyriod by raising thyroid levels while also having low cortisol results in symptoms of both hypo and hyper thyroid. You can have such symptoms as raising heart, palpitations, anxiety, bowel problems, night sweats, loose stool and hot/cold intolerance.

It sounds like you might have pituitary problems. Have you had an MRI? Have you had blood tests for prolactin, T3, T4, DHEAS or IGF-1?

Perhaps you need a more definitive test such as the insulin induced hypoglycemic test. This test determines how all of your hormones are function.

Closed Thread