It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: indiana
Posts: 56
chrisS81 HB User
Endo is giving up, getting a second opinion now..

Well, it's not a good sign when the endo I've had for over a year working with me decides he's done all he can. My recent issue of muscles/ankles cramping and not repairing quick enough to warrant an exercise regimen got me thinking of heavy metal toxicity. Unfortunately he won't test for it because he said if he finds something he'd be bound to try to treat it, and sent me to an Osteopath for Heavy Metal Toxicity.

The problem is, osteopaths aren't really covered by insurance I don't believe(at least this one isn't), and my dad won't help me with it financially.

I am now in the market to try to find another endo, at least for a second opinion. I'd like to know how others here find their endos and check their qualifications? Do you just look up endos and pick one at random or do you find a list somehow and see what they specialize in? Are there any websites that are designed for this?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 145
2jen HB User
Re: Endo is giving up, getting a second opinion now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisS81 View Post

I am now in the market to try to find another endo, at least for a second opinion. I'd like to know how others here find their endos and check their qualifications? Do you just look up endos and pick one at random or do you find a list somehow and see what they specialize in? Are there any websites that are designed for this?
My health insurance is through blue cross, so I went to that website and randomly picked my endo that way. I have been with him since August and so far-so good. I was actually given a recommendation for an endo by my rheumatologist, but when I called to make an appointment I found out that he didn't take the particular type of insurance that I had.

I am sorry that it is taking so long to figure out whats going on, maybe a second opinion is all you need. Your first endo may have only been thinking in one direction and a new doctor may have an entirely different approach.

Good Luck!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 225
AlwaysTired247 HB User
Re: Endo is giving up, getting a second opinion now..

Chris,

I feel your pain.

I picked my first endo off my insurnace website. However, I booked a second opinion a day afterwards just incase. This one took 3 months, and the appt in this coming Monday. She is my mother in laws Endo and she loves her.

My last Endo looked at my lab work and said, I don't think your fatigue has anything to do with hormonal imbalance. He didn't want to run a ACTH STIM test since my results were "in range" for blood and urine (24)

I'm hoping this new one will run this test on Monday.

My new PCP put me on Provigil, but that did nothing for me. Did you ever try that?
__________________

 
Old 01-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: indiana
Posts: 56
chrisS81 HB User
Re: Endo is giving up, getting a second opinion now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jen View Post
My health insurance is through blue cross, so I went to that website and randomly picked my endo that way. I have been with him since August and so far-so good. I was actually given a recommendation for an endo by my rheumatologist, but when I called to make an appointment I found out that he didn't take the particular type of insurance that I had.

I am sorry that it is taking so long to figure out whats going on, maybe a second opinion is all you need. Your first endo may have only been thinking in one direction and a new doctor may have an entirely different approach.

Good Luck!
Thanks a lot, that did put me in the right direction. I use bluecross too and didn't realize they listed the doctors so accurately on their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysTired247 View Post
Chris,

I feel your pain.

I picked my first endo off my insurnace website. However, I booked a second opinion a day afterwards just incase. This one took 3 months, and the appt in this coming Monday. She is my mother in laws Endo and she loves her.

My last Endo looked at my lab work and said, I don't think your fatigue has anything to do with hormonal imbalance. He didn't want to run a ACTH STIM test since my results were "in range" for blood and urine (24)

I'm hoping this new one will run this test on Monday.

My new PCP put me on Provigil, but that did nothing for me. Did you ever try that?
No I never heard of Provigil, and I really hope this endo won't take 3 months to see, I simply cannot wait that long. I may try someone else instead. I remember my first endo did take a couple months to get in.. hope that won't be the case again..

 
Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 225
AlwaysTired247 HB User
Re: Endo is giving up, getting a second opinion now..

I hope not either. I would setup 2 just incase. You never know with doctors.... sometimes they just have a chip on their shoulders and think you know nothing... like you don't know what it's like to live in your own body.... imagine that....
__________________

 
Old 01-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 145
2jen HB User
Re: Endo is giving up, getting a second opinion now..

I don't know if its just where I live (Southern Ca), but I never have problems getting appointments in with doctors. I am surprised to hear how long some people have to wait just to see a certain doctor. If that is the case with you I think the PP suggestion was really good to make two appointments with 2 different doctors just to be on the safe side.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Saw endo yesterday for follow up..lymph node Lori123 Thyroid Disorders 9 08-09-2009 08:17 AM
my ENT says I should have my thryroid removed my ENDO says no who should I listen to? nory01510 Thyroid Disorders 13 09-06-2008 07:36 AM
Found great endo - need TT love2fishfork Thyroid Disorders 3 07-23-2008 12:11 PM
28 w/endo - hysterectomy OR Lupron? IhaveENDO Hysterectomy 6 02-10-2008 03:58 PM
Hystorectomy and endo..cervical cyts ?'s Frustrated5 Hysterectomy 5 12-02-2006 02:05 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:35 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!