It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
(female)

sherriann68 HB User
prednisone or hydrocortison? Help! I am soooo confused!!

I have searched the archives and looked online to find info about the two, but the more I read the more confused I get. Does anyone know what the difference is between all the different cortisone prescriptions available?
• A-hydroCort®
• Cortef® • Hydrocortone®
• Hydrocortone® Acetate • Hydrocortone® Phosphate
• Solu-Cortef®
I am also trying to figure out which one is best for me and what the dosing should be. I do have inflammation that showed up on an MRI. I have been on prednisone for 5 days now 10mg in the morn, 5 at 2pm and 5 at 6pm.

I lean towards what ever is more natural so I am interested in the hydrocortisone, but I need the antiinflamatory also.... BUT now I am concerned that I am taking too much prednisone, but am afraid to cut back for fear that it might not work. This is the first thing I have found that has helped with the pain and the fatigue.

I called the pharmacy and was told that hydrocortisone comes in 5,10 &20 mg. tabs... but I recall reading on this list about 1mg? (I read it was recommended to keep this on hand for high stress times inbetween dosage times... or to use it along with prednisone for stressfull times. )

I would greatly appreciate your input!! I am seeing the doc this week so I want to go in armed with information.
Sherri

Closed Thread