It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
(male)

PWH1970 HB User
Night sweats or hand tremors?

I was diagnosed with secondary addison's in April after about 3 months of feeling terrible. Among the symptoms that first sent me to my doctor was constant drenching night sweats (every night), drastic weight loss, heart palpitations, and near total fatigue. After many blood draws, ct scans, MRIs, etc. a simple cortisol level test showed me dangerously low in adrenal function and that was confirmed with the ACTH stimulation test. I've been on oral hydrocortisone for about a month and a half and I'm feeling MUCH better, though not great.

My problem is that I'm still experiencing the night sweats -- in fact they're actually getting worse. My endocrinologist no longer thinks it can be related to my adrenal insufficiency since i'm on replacement therapy. Infectious diseases have been ruled out too. Has anybody out there experienced chronic night sweats related to your primary or secondary addison's?

Also, for the past few weeks I've had noticable hand tremors, especially when trying to use a fork. Has anybody experienced that?

Thanks for any input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User
Re: Night sweats or hand tremors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1970 View Post
I was diagnosed with secondary addison's in April after about 3 months of feeling terrible. Among the symptoms that first sent me to my doctor was constant drenching night sweats (every night), drastic weight loss, heart palpitations, and near total fatigue. After many blood draws, ct scans, MRIs, etc. a simple cortisol level test showed me dangerously low in adrenal function and that was confirmed with the ACTH stimulation test. I've been on oral hydrocortisone for about a month and a half and I'm feeling MUCH better, though not great.

My problem is that I'm still experiencing the night sweats -- in fact they're actually getting worse. My endocrinologist no longer thinks it can be related to my adrenal insufficiency since i'm on replacement therapy. Infectious diseases have been ruled out too. Has anybody out there experienced chronic night sweats related to your primary or secondary addison's?

Also, for the past few weeks I've had noticable hand tremors, especially when trying to use a fork. Has anybody experienced that?

Thanks for any input!
Have you looked into Lyme Disease? Go on the Lyme board and look at the symptoms and post your ? there. The night sweats and tremors are major symptoms of Lyme disease and/or Babesiosis a co-infection of Lyme. There are many of us on the board that have secondary adrenal Insuf. due to Lyme. It destroys the adrenals and the thryroid. And causes alot of neurological problems. Sincerely, Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
(male)

matt9999 HB User

Ive had hand tremors before. Over time it has gone away. Are you taking cortef or florinef and at what dosage?

Old 06-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
(male)

PWH1970 HB User

I'm not sure that Lymes Disease is the answer for me, as I have secondary adrenal insufficiency and it's my understanding that Lymes affects the adrenals themselves, no?

I'm taking 15 mg hydrocortisone a day (10 mg upon waking, 5 mg at 4:00). My endocrinologist believes the lowest effective dose is the way to go. If i take more, my eyes get really puffy. Has anybody else experienced that?

Old 06-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Night sweats are associated with low cortisol and low thyroid. 15mg/day is definitely on the low side and your symptoms indicate you are too low. If your thyroid is also low then you won't solve your night sweats until you get that under control as well. Both cortisol and thyroid feed off each other and must both be balanced.

Puffy eyes might well be symptoms of sleep apnea which shows up more once your cortisol levels become normal and your tissues rehydrate. Perhaps you are sleeping poorly for several reason and that should be examined rather than assuming that taking less cortisol is the correct route. Hormones are complex things and simple solutions aren't always so easy to find.

It's nice that your endo believes a certain idea, but that is no proof its correct for anybody or you in particular. My experience with endos tells me that their musings should be taken with a very large grain of salt. Personally I have seen 8 endos and all but one of them needed a new line of work when it came to understanding adrenal insufficiency. They were quite willing to pontificate and let me suffer rather than actually do some work to get to the bottom of a complex problem.

Last edited by orion; 06-01-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ktp812 HB User

I have Lyme Disease with secondary adrenal insufficiency. I suffered for 2 long years before I found a doctor who recongized what was wrong with me. I also had night sweats and hand tremors. Both have disappeared since starting on the cortef and synthroid. I am currently taking 20 mg cortef at 5mg 4 times a day. It has taken almost 10 weeks but I am finally feeling a little less exhausted. He started me on the low end and worked up to 20. I actually think I might need more but don't think he wants to go any higher.
Kim

Old 06-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
(female)

naomi81 HB User

I have secondary adrenal insufficency and also suffer from burning (like a hot flush) and night sweats. I used to be someone that really felt the cold but now I cannot tolerate the heat. The night sweats keep me awake at night and I have no idea what is causing it.
Take care,
Naomi

Old 06-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Quote:
I'm not sure that Lymes Disease is the answer for me, as I have secondary adrenal insufficiency and it's my understanding that Lymes affects the adrenals themselves, no?

I'm taking 15 mg hydrocortisone a day (10 mg upon waking, 5 mg at 4:00). My endocrinologist believes the lowest effective dose is the way to go. If i take more, my eyes get really puffy. Has anybody else experienced that?
The adrenal insuf. is secondary if caused by Lyme disease. Lyme has a neg. effect on adrenals and thyroid, and many other body systems, it is called the great imitator, because it imitates so many diseases and syndroms. It is the fasted growing disease in the country, even above HIV. I would still look into it if I were you, it is a very disabling disease, that can destroy every system in your body, and most people who get it are not diag. for years and end up with neurological problems. Babesiosis is a co-infection that causes night sweats and tremors also. I am also taking Cortef and pregneneolone for AI, but my nights sweats went away before I started taking the Cortef, they went away when I started taking Wobenzym N. My endo said this is an excellent enzymatic supp. to take with hormone replacement and Lyme therapy. before taking this I had the night sweats every night horribly. I haven't had them in over a month. You could ask your doc about this supp. There is quite a bit of pos. info online about it helping improve energy levels too. What has your doc said is your main diag. since the adrenal ins. is secondary, what caused it? Sarah

Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 AM   #9
(male)

matt9999 HB User

Quote:

That is definately on the low end and thats a big space between pills. I take 10 mg at breakfast, 10 mg at lunch and 5 mg at supper. If you dont want to switch to more dosage have you tried 5 mg 3 times a day?

Old 07-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
(female)

Bekah61 HB User
Question Do I have Adrenalin Ins.or Fatigue????

Since I had my Spinal Cord Stimulator Implant in November 2006, I have had terrible fatigue,insomnia,sweats,chills,nausea,lo ss of appetite,weight loss,major loss of hair,awful craving for sweets and sometimes salt, etc. Feeling even worse after I had to have a revision on my implant in April of 2007 due to a broken wire. I do have hypothyroid and take synthroid for it, my doctor ran a blood test to see if my meds needed to be increased because of my symptons but it was fine. I did have them run a regular CBC(complete blood count) the only thing that showed up was my platlets were extremely high, white blood count was high, and slightly anemic I had them repeat the CBC for several weeks to see if the numbers would change but they didn't Dr. doesn't seem to be too concerned, I've done some research on my own the only things I found out is that it is normal to have high platlets after surgery or could be cancer. I am a survivor of Hodgkins Disease so it concerns me about maybe its back. I was advised to see my oncologist to see if thats the fact,but I haven't yet. My concern is maybe I have Adrenalin Insuffiency or Adrenalin Fatigue, just from my readings it surely sounds like it. What kind of test do I need to ask my Dr. to run to see if this is what it is. I'm so sick of being tired all the time and experiencing the other symptoms that I mentioned earlier. At my whits end......Any imput on this would be much appreciated. God Bless, Bekah61

Old 07-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
(male)

matt9999 HB User
Re: Do I have Adrenalin Ins.or Fatigue????

Have the doctor test the following ACTH, Aldosterone and Renin, Cortisol, Electrolytes, Potassium, Glucose, BUN and Creatinine.

Here is a good site to read about these tests and about Adrenal problems:

[url]http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/conditions/addisons_disease-3.html[/url]

You should probably print that page out so they know about each test and what to look for.

Last edited by matt9999; 07-07-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
(female)

Bekah61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9999 View Post
Have the doctor test the following ACTH, Aldosterone and Renin, Cortisol, Electrolytes, Potassium, Glucose, BUN and Creatinine.

Here is a good site to read about these tests and about Adrenal problems:

[url]http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/conditions/addisons_disease-3.html[/url]

You should probably print that page out so they know about each test and what to look for.
thank you for the information, I hope my Dr. will order these blood tests for me you have been very helpful. By the way, do u have adrenalin problems, it sure would be nice to find out why I have been feeling like this. Again thanks. Bekah61 God Bless

Old 07-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #13
(male)

matt9999 HB User

Yes I have Addisons disease and have these tests done once a year and go over them with a Endocrinologist. If the doctor you see cant I would go to a Endocrinologist cause they cover Addisons and other disorders and diseases.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #14
(female)

Bekah61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9999 View Post
Yes I have Addisons disease and have these tests done once a year and go over them with a Endocrinologist. If the doctor you see cant I would go to a Endocrinologist cause they cover Addisons and other disorders and diseases.
Matt, how long have u had Addisons disease if u don't mind me asking? What kind of symptoms were u having, I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Ty for the information u have already given to me. Did it develop after having any kind of surgeries. God Bless, Bekah61

Old 07-08-2007, 08:23 AM   #15
(male)

matt9999 HB User

I have had it 6 years already. I couldnt keep any food down and was dehydrated and lost alot of weight. I also have the dark tanned skin that occurs with Addisons disease. I havent had any surgeries.

Closed Thread