It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
(male)

DIAL HB User
naturopathic doctors reliable??? need advice

I am a 24 year old male, I have been suffering from low Cortisol, Low testosterone, and low DHEA Sulfate. I have been suffering for a long time from these symptoms including Hyperglycemia, but im not a diabetic according to my Endo. I was recommended to see a naturopathic doctor, or Alternative medicine doctor. So far mainstream medicine has done nothing for me, and they still cant figure out whats wrong. Cortisol at 2.3, testosterone at 199, and DHE Sulfate at 260. I dont want to waste a bunch of money since these doctors dont take insurance. Has any one been treated by alternative medicine, or know much about it's reliability???
thanks
-Nick

Last edited by DIAL; 06-20-2007 at 03:54 AM.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
(female)

making777 HB User
Re: naturopathic doctors reliable??? need advice

DIAL,

It's a toss up, really. There are some real good ones and some hokey pokey ones. As with everything, you just have to be well educated yourself and be your own advocate. There is a real good group of naturopathic MD's here in Seattle that a friend of mine swears by. I went there back before I was diagnosed by my endo (I was told I was fine by my primary MD), but since I was quite skeptical, and they were more 'spiritually' focused on a more New Age sphere than I was comfortable with, I didn't continue. But I did read a few books by some of the MD's there and some of thier ideas made sense enough for me to consider following thier advice. I still take a digestive supplement, Betain HCL, because I beleive in thier theory that Americans need MORE stomach acid instead of decreasing what we produce in our bellys with OTC Zantac and what have you. But some things I thought weren't steeped enough in medical fact enough for me to follow, so I didn't.

There are some on this site who have benefitted greatly from Naturopathic MD's. I am very glad they found good ones! I sincerely hope you find some resolution and get to feeling better soon!

MaryAnn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

You've had an MRI, blood test for prolactin, an insulin induced hypoglycemia test, blood test for FSH and LH? What were the results of those tests?

In general I would say low cortisol and testosterone in a 24 year old male is pretty serious and you need some serious medicine so I wouldn't consider anything except a referral to another endo. Unfortunately not all endos are very good at adrenal insufficiency....I saw 8 of them before finding one who actually knew what he was talking about.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
(female)

dammie HB User

I just went to one today because nothing else was working for me. The guy i went studied medicine and now does this. I figure i should give it a try and maybe you should go for it also, what's the worst that can happen? (They don't put you on drugs, it's all natural.)

Old 06-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #5
(male)

DIAL HB User

Orian, I had a CT of the brain, but not familair with a lot of the things you brought up such as prolactin. My sugars hit the 190's and 200's but yet my A1C come back normal along with insulin level and pancreas funtion. I figured having low cortisol, DHEA sulfate, and Testosterone was dangerous at the age of 24 as well. My endo seems not too worried b/c I had a cortisol stim test done wich came back "Normal" this test is flawed however due to the fact it only show's a snap shot of my cortisol, and not a 24 hour funtion. My endo wants to just focus on my testosterone and nothing else, whiich is frustrating. I asked why these other things are happening, she stated she doesent know. The problem I have with simply injecting testosterone is it will shut down my natural production and enslaving my to the shot for life. I am looking for alternative methods. I went to the Mayo clinic and saw a Doc, he was an internal medicine doctor. He looked at my chart, made me cough and said "your healthy" I asked about my low harmones. He stated your free testosterone is fine, so therefor your ok. My chart says "free and total=199. he said you just have less protein bound testosterone therefore your ok. He said the cortisol was nothing to be worried about. He said go see a physciatrist and get back to me. I think this guy is a complete arrogant idiot. My endo says he's wrong about the harmones, but she fails to give me any insight on my problem as well. I am dizzy, extremley tired, weak, have lost near 30 LBS in 3 months, get shaky, and much more. I am a Police Officer in AZ, and have been forced to resign and go part time on reserve. It has become too dangerous for me to work Patrol full time. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Are you taking testosterone or have you taken it the past?

If no, you need a blood test for FSH and LH; the results of those tests will tell you why your testosteone is low. For example if LH is high, then you have primary testicle failure and you will have to take testosterone for life. If LH is low, you have a serious pituitary problem perhaps related to a tumor or some accident you had recently with a severe blow to the head. If your endo didn't do those tests, I think its time for a new endo. You need to establish WHY this is happening so that you can get proper treatment.

Just because your adrenal glands can produce cortisol, doesn't mean they are being stimulated to do so in a normal manner. The stimulation test you had is not diagnostic unless it fails, otherwise you still aren't sure the source of the problem so you need the insulin induced hypoclycemia test.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
(female)

hilary1970 HB User

I was finally treated correctly by a naturalpath.. and I saw 7 doctors.. including an endocrinologist before him. I had even asked the endo to have my adrenal glands tested. But he didn't bother.
The guy I go to is an MD, he does run a few blood tests.. he also "specializes" in the particular area that I have problems with.. Thyroid and Adrenal. I found out from him that I had vitamen dificiencies.. (sorry can't spell) that no doctor even noticed. The magnesium made a HUGE difference. I did research to find this guy, he has a good reputation and he got me working again. I treat him with respect because in most cases when he told me to do this.. or take that, he was correct.
It has taken me about 2 years to go from pathetic half dead couch potato, to feeling good and healthy and working, going to school and excersizing.
Hilary

Last edited by hilary1970; 06-22-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
(male)

DIAL HB User

Orion, I am not on Testosterone, and they are not sure as to why my testosterone is low. I'm not sure if I had these test done or not. I will look into it. They did say my Pituitary gland is sending proper "signals" I'm not sure though. I have an appointment this tuesday with a naturalpath. My Endo says b/c the ACTH came back normal, my glands are fine. I agree with you, I think that is flawed logic. The stim test does not show how well the glands are working. as far as a head injury, I recieved a fairley hard blow to the head about 3 years ago, giving me a concussion.

Last edited by DIAL; 06-22-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIAL View Post
Orion, I am not on Testosterone, and they are not sure as to why my testosterone is low..

The LH and FSH tests will tell you the source of the problem. It's a simple blood draw.

Without proper tests its not possible to know if the pituitary is functioning properly. Even with the right tests it is still a hard problem. It sounds to me like you need a new doctor; one who actually listened in class.

Closed Thread