It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
(female)

Diane44 HB User
Taking Cortef and Levothyroxine

Does anyone know where I can find out or maybe already have the answer to
if these two drugs should not be taken at the same time of day? I currently take my Cortef, Levothyroxine, Florinef and Clarinex at 5:45 AM. I am wondering if that affects the effectivness of any of those? It seems I read someone on this board post that Cortef and Levo. shouldn't be taken together.

Thanks for any help you can be.
Diane44

Old 07-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
Re: Taking Cortef and Levothyroxine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane44 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find out or maybe already have the answer to
if these two drugs should not be taken at the same time of day? I currently take my Cortef, Levothyroxine, Florinef and Clarinex at 5:45 AM. I am wondering if that affects the effectivness of any of those? It seems I read someone on this board post that Cortef and Levo. shouldn't be taken together.

Thanks for any help you can be.
Diane44
I don't know of any problem taking cortef and synthroid at the same time except that synthroid is best taken at least 1 hour before meals and never with calcium, while cortef is best taken with a meal to spread its absorption out. Most likely that's why people separate them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
(female)

Diane44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I don't know of any problem taking cortef and synthroid at the same time except that synthroid is best taken at least 1 hour before meals and never with calcium, while cortef is best taken with a meal to spread its absorption out. Most likely that's why people separate them.
I do take my levothyroxine with my cortef currently at 5:45 AM and then at 7AM I take my calcium and 10 mg of dhea. I do not eat with my cortef and was told that I only should if it upset my stomach as it sometimes does when taken on an empty stomach. I didn't know it helped with absorbtion. I take another 10mg of Dhea at noon and another cortef at 3pm. I seem to do very well and seldom feel tired or worn out since I have added DHEA to my daily regimen of pills. I don't get up until about 6:15-6:30 AM (I go back to sleep for a bit after taking my first round of pills) so it is not really feasible to take my Cortef with food in the morning. Do you know where I can find any info online or books to better explain how the cortef works? Maybe I should change the way I do it for even better results. I know what it is for and side effects etc. but how does it work through the body. Does that make sense?
Thanks for you help Orion.
Diane

Old 07-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane44 View Post
I seem to do very well and seldom feel tired or worn out since I have added DHEA to my daily regimen of pills.
Sounds like it's working for you so I wouldn't change it.

There isn't very much information bout cortef and how to take it because not very much research has been done into the question. The one good study I know of suggests taking it 3x a day 10,5,5 mg to spread it out.

My doctor has said taking cortef on a empty stomach is fine, but it is a drug known to cause long term problems if applied to your skin on a regular basis. So I wonder what it does to a stomach when applied directly. I suppose it depends on how much you take at once, which for us is pretty small.

Closed Thread