It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 03:53 AM   #1
(female)

sherrylynn65 HB User
Rude Questions From Others

Hi,,it is me again,,,newby to the world of adrenal's. Since I first started getting ill about 3 years ago and just recently discovered the "why",,,(still undergoing testing but preliminary results show some kinda "hyper" problem) I had been getting some of the most horrible questions from others. I am very thin from this "illness" and have allot of muscle wasting. I do not have an eating disorder, no I am not on drugs and no I do not have a mental disorder (unless you count that I want to beat the butts off of those asking the rudest questions of me). I have been asked if I am bulimic, if I have been anorexic or maybe I might want to think about exercising to "firm up those muscles". Now look,,,I have never asked someone why they are so large or why they have problems with their teeth or why even are they so ignorant and rude. Thought it might be inapporpriate! And it is! Can you tell I have had it with these types of questions? How do others who have problems like this handle it? I have also had the reverse (since I am thin, folks think that automattically means you are healthy,,,sigh) and these are the ones that suggest that my illness is all in my head.

So would like to hear how you all have delt with these kinda issues before I go around abusing the rude (for a skinny woman that is strong talk!).

Whew,,thanks for letting me vent,,,might just keep me out of jail for the day

Sherry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User
Re: Rude Questions From Others

Well, I had the opposite as my adrenals went haywire and made me fat. But I have all the muscle wasting too.
And everyone yes, is rude.
There is the ol' cocking the head to the side, looking them straight in the eyes firmly and staring them down as you re-state what they said until they feel some shame - if they can feel it.
In my case, my problem was in my head as I had a pituitary tumor so I tell them I need this like I need a hole in my head - OH - I have that now - and cackle away...
You can always just look at them too, pat them on the arm and say, gosh, yes, I am sick but has anyone advised you about your manners?

Old 07-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
(female)

sherrylynn65 HB User

Man,,those are way too good! Can I borrow them? Made me smile,,needed that thanks. Some times I just look at them and blink without saying a word then walk away. The odd thing is is that several years I was very overweight (120 lbs) so have now been on both ends of it and think that folks are just plain rude anyway about it. Sometimes I just want to smack the poo out of them.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User

Borrow away. They cannot know how you feel until they are in your painful shoes.
Don't let them get you down - continue on your quest for health. Agree on the poo thing for sure!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
(female)

sherrylynn65 HB User

You know rumpled,,as I sit here sucking salt off chips and popping popcorn, I have determined I like you and your attitude. Cheers to you!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

texastom HB User

Hi
I have a number of conditions Osteoparosis ,Scoliosis, wedged shaped disc's amongst other conditions and I liked to do a bit of gardening a bit each day if possible , and if I was pottering about in my garden all I got from idiot's such as yours was 'I thought you had a bad back' and 'when my back is hurting I could not do that' ....I think you should say "I hope that you don't have to go through anything that I am going through, because it's very difficult and you would have to be a strong person to be able to cope with it "

Last edited by texastom; 07-29-2007 at 08:01 AM.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
(female)

sherrylynn65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastom View Post
Hi
I have a number of conditions Osteoparosis ,Scoliosis, wedged shaped disc's amongst other conditions and I liked to do a bit of gardening a bit each day if possible , and if I was pottering about in my garden all I got from idiot's such as yours was 'I thought you had a bad back' and 'when my back is hurting I could not do that' ....I think you should say "I hope that you don't have to go through anything that I am going through, because it's very difficult and you would have to be a strong person to be able to cope with it "
Texas,

I think that is a great response. I too have scoliosis and osteopenia. Like I mentioned,,,get some of the rudest things said to me. And I have been thinking allot about me being a strong person and you know what? Kinda starting to think I might just be. You sound like you are too.

God Bless,

Sherry

Closed Thread