It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
blurred or double vision

Anyone have blurred or double vision with Addison's? Thanks.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: blurred or double vision

Hi Sammi2,

Not sure about Addison's, however blurred vision occurs with some forms of thyroid disease, and as you prob know thyroid & adrenals are sort of linked.

Have you had a thorough ck up w/an opthalmologist?

Best wishes.
s

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi2 View Post
Anyone have blurred or double vision with Addison's? Thanks.
Have you been checked for pituitary problems? Specifically an MRI to ensure your pituitary is normal?

How was your Addison's diagnosed? What test was used?

Old 08-31-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
(female)

vamomma HB User

As the previous poster has said, it could be your pituitary. If you have a large enough pituitary adenoma (a growth on your pituitary) it could be pressing on your optic nerve and causing double vision. Pituitary adenomas can suppress your pituitary function which can cause Addison's, Hypothyroid and other hypometabolic disorders. Note that some pituitary adenomas can do the opposite and excrete excess pituitary hormones which result in a slew of hypermetabolic disorders including Cushing's (the opposite of Addison's).

I read somewhere that something like 30% of the population have pituitary adenomas, they are just so small that they have no physical impact and therefore the person and their doctors aren't even aware that they have one.

I am pretty sure that doctors can tell if your pituitary is causing your Addison's by checking your ACTH levels. If your ACTH is high (or in the normal range but unproportionally high as compared to your low cortisol), your low cortisol is most ilkely the result of your adrenals themselves being weakened. However, if both your cortisol and ACTH are low it points to issues with your pituitary or hypothalamus.

Either way, if you are having double vision I would get your eyes checked. A good eye doctor can look into your eyes and can tell if there is something pressing on the optic nerve. If something is pressing on your optic nerve you would want to get it addressed right away since I think this sort of thing can cause permanent damage.

Hope this helps.
vamomma

Old 08-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

I'm 48 years old and have never needed prescription glasses or contacts. That is until now.....I'm beginning to need some reading glasses and I find that it is needed the most in the morning. I figured it was age related and both my parents needed eyeglasses so I thought it was a matter of time before I would need them too, but now I'm wondering if it might be related to my various endocrine disorders (primary ovarian failure, hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue).

Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

Thanks everyone. I have been to an opthamologist for detached vitreous & they didn't tell me anything else was wrong. I only had the double vision when I took the Armour. One dr told me that it had to be an allergic reaction since it happened shortly after the medication. Always something to worry about.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
(female)

skpn HB User

I have had blurred vision and disorientation since onset of Addisons and not before. My eye tests are completely normal at the end of the day however the opthamologist noted they were abnormal until I had achieved focused which took longer than usual. So perhaps Addisons/ Thyroid problems create focus issues. I found blurring symptoms to be substantially improved by ibuprofen.

Good Luck!

Closed Thread