It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

MMK4 HB User
Question Switching from Cortef to generic hydrocortisone.

Hi. I am new to this board, but I have had Addison's Disease since 1997. I have always taken Cortef but because of the cost my doctor said, I could try the generic hydrocortisone. I am now wondering if this was not a good decision. I have had diarrhea, upset stomach and been dizzy. In the morning I take 20mg hydrocortisone, .2mg Florinef and at dinner 10mg hydrocortisone. If you have switched from Cortef to hydrocortisone, have you had any problems? Did your dose have to be adjusted? Thank you for any information you can give me.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
(male)

cloud2 HB User
Re: Switching from Cortef to generic hydrocortisone.

Sorry I don't have an answer MMK4, but I'd like to echo your question. I asked my MD to change me from compounded hydrocortisone to generic (CVS) a couple of months ago, also because of cost. I don't have symptoms similar to what you describe, but I have lost stability (periodic & random weakness, ache, not enough stamina to mow my small yard anymore). Since several things have changed, I can't be sure that was the reason. I'm similarly at 25/10/5, plus 0.2mg fludrocortisone (generic).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

MMK4 HB User

Cloud2,

Hi. Thanks for your message. I have a question about your weakness and aching. Do these symptoms occur in your legs? My legs have been aching and they feel weak. Take care and have a good day.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
(male)

cloud2 HB User

Yes, mostly in the legs, an "achy weak" is the best I've come up with for describing it.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
(male)

jn_brown HB User

I had just the opposite problem. The first HC I took was Cortef and I had a very bad reaction to it. After that I have taken Merck and Westard without any problems. I know others that have not done well on Cortef, but probably the opposite is true as in your case. If you were feeling well on Cortef why not switch back? Also you might try splitting up your dose like 15 in the a.m., 7.5 at noon and 7.5 late afternoon.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
(female)

Linliv46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMK4 View Post
Hi. I am new to this board, but I have had Addison's Disease since 1997. I have always taken Cortef but because of the cost my doctor said, I could try the generic hydrocortisone. I am now wondering if this was not a good decision. I have had diarrhea, upset stomach and been dizzy. In the morning I take 20mg hydrocortisone, .2mg Florinef and at dinner 10mg hydrocortisone. If you have switched from Cortef to hydrocortisone, have you had any problems? Did your dose have to be adjusted? Thank you for any information you can give me.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #7
(female)

Linliv46 HB User

I am new here also. My pharmacy switched me from Cortef to Hydocort the last refill I received. I have been on the Cortef for 7 years since dx.(adrenal insuff.) I take 10, 5 and 5. I had diahrea for 2 weeks after the switch but have also been gaining weight. I don't know why they switched. Thought maybe they just came out with the generic. I had NO side effects from the Cortef. Anyway I will be seeing my MD in the next week or so because I am facing knee replacement and I am just not sure these doctors know how to give this intravenously (sp)! I am really worried about it!
Linda

Closed Thread