It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
(female)

Calli38 HB User
Elevated DHEA-s, all other tests normal

I recently had a full blood panel done and recieved the tests today (via fax from the dr's office). The only thing that was outside of "normal" range was my DHEAs 306 ug/dL with normal range of 45-270ug/dL. I insisted on testing TSH as well as freeT-3 and free T4 levels. TSH was 2.73 with T-3 at 3.5 pg/mL (normal =2.3-4.2) and T-4 at 1.29ng/dL (normal=0.61-1.76). Cortisol level was 7.7 ug/dL (normal = 3.1-22.4).

Chlesterol levels were great, testosterone was in the high range of normal 70ng/dL (normal =14-76).

I have symptoms of hypothyroid. Cold when everyone around me is warm, cold extremeties, weight gain, difficulty (impossible to lose any), fatigue, sleeping difficulties, edema on legs and feet, slowed response to reactive test (with hammer), etc.

I also suffer from menstrally related migraines. I am treating these with bio-identical progesterone cream. I have seen a great improvement form 2 full weeks of pain a month down to 1-2 low grade migraines per month.

I have also noticed a large swing in my energy throughout the day. I am almost asleep around 11-2 pm. It is everything I can do to stay awake. I see a small increase in energy around 4 pm (enough to get me through the rest of the evening). Often I am almost a zombie after 7:30-8pm until bed. At night I sleep usually very well from 9:30 to 10pm through to about 3-3:30 am. After that, I have difficulty staying asleep, often waking every 15 minutes.

I am a 38 year old woman, just beginning perimenopause. I took a saliva test yesterday (day 21 of period). I will be testing a 4 point cortisol, DHEA, progesterone, estradiol, and progesterone precursor. I will not get those results back for about 10 days -2 weeks.

The doctor is worried about the high DHEA level. He suggested further blood testing and a possible MRI. He is out of town for a week or so.

Research online indicates it could be a variety of things including PCOS with insulin resistance; adrenal cyst/tumor (therefore the MRI), etc.

My main question is since my adrenal levels are elevated (cortisol is normal)can that be affecting my thyroid? My TSH is 2.73 which is within "normal", but I am still showing signs of hypothyroid. I am leaning towards asking the doc for a trial perscription of Armour to see if it helps, but I don't want to confuse the DHEA tests and further testing we will be doing. I also do not want to cause any additional stress to the adrenals. It will be a week-10 days before I can see my doc and the saliva tests should be back aroudn then as well.

However, I wondered if anyone out ther has experienced something similar and had any suggestions/comments. They would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User
Re: Elevated DHEA-s, all other tests normal

What time was the cortisol taken?
People can have cyclical highs and lows with cortisol. I did.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
(female)

Calli38 HB User

The cortisol was taken in a blood test at 8:00 am. I also just completed a 4 point saliva test (7am, 12 noon, 5pm, and 10pm) to give me a better idea of what is going on. I also saliva tested DHEA, progesterone, and estradiol. It will be 2 weeks to get those results.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
(female)

faracrossthesea HB User

Hi- What happened with your test results? I swear we've spoken before but I am not sure. I am dealing with the same thing. I had elevated DHEA-S and now it's from 403 to over 500 and it's my only symptom. My ATCH is now normal. I feel like I have a tumor and I've had massive anxiety problems for 2 years straight which is very out of character for me.

What happened with you? What were your results? I'd really love to hear from you, I feel so upset like I am the only person going through this and I am 31.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
(female)

Cat2008 HB User

Hi, I'm 33yrs and have Addison's etc....what's the problem ?

Closed Thread