It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
(female)

SunshineState HB User
Traveling and Addison's...Help Please

I am not new to the ups and downs of addison's, my husband has had it for about 8 years now. It is a really long story but I was working for an ophthalmologist when he became really ill and not one doctor in 8 months could diagnose him properly. Finally the doctor that I worked for and myself figured it out by looking through medical books with a list of his symptoms. He has done really well on the medications he is taking and has only had two crashes since he was diagnosed; both of them were while we were on vacation. Ok here's my question. My husband and I will be traveling to China within the next year to pick up our daughter that we are adopting. I am terrified that he will crash in China. In the last two crashes they were while we were up in the mountains, high elevations. We have read that China has really high elevations also. His doctor said we can increase his meds before we go, but on both the other occasions he had to be brought to the ER for IV cortisone for treatment. Has anyone else experienced difficulties when they traveled, or in different elevations, has anyone ever gone out of the country (far away) with addison's and had, or did not have any problems?
Thanks!!!
Ginny

Old 11-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User
Re: Traveling and Addison's...Help Please

Hello!
First, find a good endocrinologist that can monitor him. I KNOW this is so much easier said than done as beleive me, I had to see tons of them. I have no adrenals so my situation can get critical fast.

When you travel, make sure that you plan ahead and get several scripts of solu-cortef or solu-medrol, preferably in the accuvial with needles so that you can give him emergency shots. If you do not know how to give shots, learn. Your pcp can teach you but know in advance of having to do it under stress. Get a script for anti-nausea meds as well - zofran and/or phenergan, again, as much as you can. Carry a lot of extra cortef with you. Better to have what you do not need. Stay well hydrated and try not to get too tired (but really, taking it easy until adjust to time and environment is going to be critical). Dosing up ahead of time seems like a good idea in theory but only do that the day you leave - not weeks ahead as cortef has a short half life. Also, taking too much has symptoms too and if you take more than you need and do not use it, it can make you sick and tired as well so try to guage how you are and take as you need so as not to interfere with sleep.

Does he have a medic alert bracelet? Will anyone in the group be able to assist him if he has to go to the hospital?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
(female)

SunshineState HB User

We do have a great endocrinologist and if it weren’t for her my hubby would have been dead. That being said he is her only Addison’s patient. He did consult with two other endo’s and was not happy with their patient care. I have yet to find one that has ever even seen an Addison’s patient. Getting a written prescription for solu-cortef or solu-medrol will not be viable in China as we have been told and our doctor has written us a couple of scripts that we tried to get filled with the accuvial needles and we were told that was no longer available. I have had to inject him once several years ago but we have not been able to get the medication refilled here since. I will have to ask the doctor and our pharmacist again to see if it is available again here. It will be hard for him not to get exhausted and over excited after a 17 hour flight to China we only have a half a days rest before we get our daughter and then we are in China for 17 days before we can return home.

We will be traveling with a group of about 10 and an interpreter, but I had a friend that got ill in China and had to go to the hospital and it was an absolute nightmare, and she didn’t have a rare disease!

As for a medic alert bracelet….He did have one and we found it absolutely useless! When he crashed in Nevada and the EMS came to pick him up I showed him the medic alert and he could have cared less, then when we got to the hospital and showed the ER doctor we got about the same response. I was on the phone to his endo doc at 3am and she had to call and explain to the emergency room doctor what addison’s was and how to treat it. I actually had a screaming match with this doctor as he wanted to do everything else except simply give him 100mg of cortisone, in which when he finally did my husband was fine minutes later. That was our first experience with the medic alert. Then we also showed an emergency room doctor his medic alert bracelet when he had to be rushed in after an auto accident and again got the same response. I find it easier to explain it myself and his employees are aware of his addison’s and know what to do also

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpled View Post
Hello!
First, find a good endocrinologist that can monitor him. I KNOW this is so much easier said than done as beleive me, I had to see tons of them. I have no adrenals so my situation can get critical fast.

When you travel, make sure that you plan ahead and get several scripts of solu-cortef or solu-medrol, preferably in the accuvial with needles so that you can give him emergency shots. If you do not know how to give shots, learn. Your pcp can teach you but know in advance of having to do it under stress. Get a script for anti-nausea meds as well - zofran and/or phenergan, again, as much as you can. Carry a lot of extra cortef with you. Better to have what you do not need. Stay well hydrated and try not to get too tired (but really, taking it easy until adjust to time and environment is going to be critical). Dosing up ahead of time seems like a good idea in theory but only do that the day you leave - not weeks ahead as cortef has a short half life. Also, taking too much has symptoms too and if you take more than you need and do not use it, it can make you sick and tired as well so try to guage how you are and take as you need so as not to interfere with sleep.

Does he have a medic alert bracelet? Will anyone in the group be able to assist him if he has to go to the hospital?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User

Well, that is sheer silliness on the ER people - sorry about that... but I guess since you were there, they felt they could use you instead.

Act-o-vials are still available - I have several of them. Call around to different pharmacies until you find one who is willing to find the supplier. I can see them still listed so they are sold. Even online or mail order pharmacies should be able to help you if your local pharmacy will not. It is just easier than having to draw up two vials.

Perhaps it may not be a good idea for him to go?

Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
(female)

SunshineState HB User

Thanks for the information. I will check around for pharmacies that will carry them.
As far as him traveling to China, unless we both go China will not complete the adoption so we just need to be as prepared as we can. We are just trying to get as much information as we can and check out other people's experiences with overseas travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpled View Post
Well, that is sheer silliness on the ER people - sorry about that... but I guess since you were there, they felt they could use you instead.

Act-o-vials are still available - I have several of them. Call around to different pharmacies until you find one who is willing to find the supplier. I can see them still listed so they are sold. Even online or mail order pharmacies should be able to help you if your local pharmacy will not. It is just easier than having to draw up two vials.

Perhaps it may not be a good idea for him to go?

Closed Thread