It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

tstevens1987 HB User
possible addisonian - please help!

I have been getting progressively sick for many years. I recently went to a new doctor, an endicrinologist. I have been seeing a cardiologist for "vasovagal syncope" after going into V-fib after a stress test. My new doctor says I don't fit the profile for Addison's, but he is going to test me anyway. I did the STIM test this morning. Here is a list of symptoms I have typed up to give to my doctors.

*Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea/constipation
- diagnosed with IBS, lactose intolerance
- almost always in the morning
- gets worse in times of stress
*High heart rate
-skyrockets upon standing
-when high, usually between 130 and 140bbm
*Low blood pressure
-lowers dramatically upon standing
-drops under 70/40 during severe instances, more commonly 90/50
-gets worse during stress, exercise, and illness
*Inability to stand for long periods of time
*Periods of muscle weakness, most noticeable in hands
*Cardiac arrest, arrhythmias
-diagnosed with seizures and put on Trileptal and one other medication
-diagnosed with vasovagal syncope, but failed tilt-table test even after attempting to induce an episode
-discovered during a stress test
-happens during exercise or physical/emotional stress
*Sudden, severe lower back pain (almost always right side)
-usually accompanied by severe nausea and dizziness
-diagnosed with beginnings of kidney stones as a child
*Irregular periods, absent periods
-irregular periods and complete absence of periods for 2.5 years
-attributed to hypothyroidism and was given medicine to induce menstruation
*Constant craving of salty foods
*Hypothyroidism
-diagnosed in 2005 and started on Synthroid
-gained 50 pounds over a course of two months attributed to hypothyroidism
*Achy joints, feels like severe growing pains
-was put on Celebrex as a child
*Irritability, depression, mood swings
-have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, and PMDD
*Tire very quickly
-walking around a mall for a half hour leaves me exhausted
*Confusion, bad memory
-usually happens when my blood pressure is low, so I’m guessing this can be blamed on lack of oxygen
delivery to the brain
-Ex. Just the other day I left to go to the grocery store, which is right next to my house. I turned onto
the road in the opposite direction of the store and temporarily forgot where I was going
*Sometimes upon waking up, I’m shaking all over and it literally hurts. It feels like what I assume getting electrocuted feels like. My boyfriend has told me I sit up in bed shaking all over and I stare at my hands groaning.

I have also been told it's all in my head. I don't have abnormal skin pigmentation other than where my skin is very dry and I am not worried about weight loss. I am on the upper side of a healthy weight. However, I have hypothyroidism. I am desperate for insight about my symptoms. Does this sound like Addison's? Has anyone had similar experiences? Do you have to be thin with abnormal skin pigmentation? Please help!!

Last edited by tstevens1987; 03-24-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: possible addisonian - please help!

Look at my posts.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=585294[/url]
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=590339[/url]

I just went through this mess. Also have you been checked for Hashimoto's and POTS? Both are applicable given your symptoms. You mention hypothyroidism.. are they treating it optimally? What are you latest lab results?

You do not have to have abnormal skin pigmentation. My MD does not want to classify me as Addison's.. but I am adrenal insufficient. Just having low cortisol, high ACTH, and improperly treated hashimoto's can cause your issues.

Can you tell us your latest TSH, FT3, and FT4. You can rule out addison's by the ratio of your FTs and cotisol and ACTH levels, if you know what you are looking for...

Make sure you always get copies of all your lab work. This will allow you to determine where you are percentage wise. Many MDs just aime for normal range.. not optimal. We tend to have to fight for optimal treatment. I am betting it is not in your head, but in minimalist treatment of your endocrine issues. Come visit the thyroid board.. there are a lot of us there as well.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 03-25-2008 at 06:19 AM.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
(female)

tstevens1987 HB User
Re: possible addisonian

I was on .125 MG of Synthroid, then about 8 months later they asked me to stop taking it all together. Then I went back and got checked and they put me on .05 MG. Since then, I have been checked regularly and have been normal everytime. They never told me the origin of my hypothyroidism and for some reason I never asked. I guess because my mother and grandmother both have it and it seemed normal to me that I would have it. Unfortunately, I do not have any of my lab work, but from now on I plan on keeping records of everything. Thank you so much for replying!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Because your grandmother and mother have it.. it most likely is Hashimoto's. Especially if you are fluxing in levels. They dropped you from 125 to 50? What are they thinking?

Okay get a copy of your "normal" labs. They are required by law to make a copy and release them to you. Post the value and ranges here. I will tell you if you are optimal and where you need to be. *grumble* I hate thyroid dummies.. I really do. Also research Hashimoto's a bit. It is a nasty thyroid autoimmune disease well known for causing skin and joint issues. Have you have a biopsy of your thyroid? Ultrasound? Or are they just looking at your TSH and total Ts?

I am angry not at you, but at the MDs that are probably not treating you as aggressively as you should be treated IMO. If they could spend a day as a hypoT/hyperT with AI conditions for flavor, I think they would relate a bit better and work harder to make us optimal.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 03-25-2008 at 07:50 AM.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
(female)

tstevens1987 HB User

I finally got my test results back. They are as follows:

Aldosterone
6 ng/dL (normal: 28 ng/dL)

Cortisol
Before injection: 26.10 UG/DL (normal: 6.7-22.6)
30 minutes after injection: 37 UG/DL
60 minutes after injection: 43.7 UG/DL

Estradiol
<20 PG/ML (normal for nonpregnant females 24-273 PG/ML; for postmenopausal women 20-88 PG/ML)

17-Hydroxyprogesterone
<8 ng/dL (normal for nonpregnant females: 185-285 ng/dL; for postmenopausal women: 45 ng/dL)

ACTH, plasma
Before injection: 10 pg/mL (normal: 5-27 pg/mL)
30 minutes after injection: 7 pg/mL

Testosterone, sodium, potassium, chloride, CO2, nitrogen, creatinine, glucose, calcium, androstenedione, renin, prolactin, luteinizing hormone, DHEA-Sulfate, follicle stimulating hormone, and progesterone are all within normal range.

My thyroglobulin levels were 21 IU/ml, but no normal range was posted.

I don't understand how my cortisol levels can be high and aldosterone levels low....also my estrogen and hydroxyprogesterone levels are worrisome to me. Also, why would my ACTH levels drop after being injected???

Last edited by tstevens1987; 04-04-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I replied to your thyroid board thread. The key thing that can cause the rest is hypoaldosterone. It is a function of your adrenal gland like cortisol. It suppresses and balances the cortisol. The fact your cortisol is running high is because your aldosterone is low.. not your ACTH high. Your pituitary gland is registering that the cortisol is high and increases upon addition of a steriod. This is what the drop in ACTH is showing you. I went into more depth in the thyroid thread as to possible sources and such. Give it a look. I hope helps.

MG

Closed Thread