It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
(female)

nopearce HB User
My lower left stomach hurts near my ovaries. Is this normal?

I started a few days ago with my breasts lactating, and now I think my left ovary is giving me trouble. My doctor drew blood to check my prolactin, but I haven't gotten back the results yet. Has this happened to any of you?
I also have gained 25 pounds since they started me on hydrocortisone. How do I get this under control?
Do any of you have sinus tachycardia?
Thanks,
Nicole

Old 04-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User
Re: My lower left stomach hurts near my ovaries. Is this normal?

Were you severely underweight?
How much HC are you on?
Pehaps you need to taper back a bit - it may be a bit too much for you. A normal dose is around 20mg per day in divided doses. But to change you must taper back - extreme changes can make you sick.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
(female)

nopearce HB User

I was at my ideal weight, but not anymore. They had me on 40 mg of HC. What is the right amount to take and what time of day is best to take it? They had me taking 20 in the morning, 10 at noon, and 10 at bedtime.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User

Well, there is your problem.
You are taking more than you probabably should and your dosing time is off.
For example, I take 15 at 7am, 5mg at 1 and 2.5 at 4pm
Most of my friends take 15mg at 7 or 8am and 5mg at 2 or 3pm.
Compare that to your schedule.

I am surprised you get any sleep!
A normal body has the highest cortisol rise at approx 8am in the morning - followed by a roughly 1/2 fall by late afternoon and it falls to near nothing at midnight so the body can sleep. HC has a half life of 6-8 hours. You are not giving your body a normal rest which can impact your bones, eyes, muscles - everything.

Also, a normal dose is closer to half of what you are taking. You should taper down to closer to 20mg. I take 22.5 to suppress my super high ACTH reading. I suggest you taper off that 10pm dose and move you noon dose to later. Spread it out so you only take eventually 20mg and your weight should drop back.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I am on 20 mg of HC.. only issue is one patch of fluid retention that arise on the top of each foot in the area above the ball of my foot. Maybe a 3 inch by 2 inch region. My Cardio suspects I am being driven hypoT again and it is water retention do to that.. but i was told to cut carbs and salt out of my diet. *sigh* I love salt.. REALLY love salt. I was going low salt.. but NO salt. *SIGH*

I started last thursday on HCs myself. It has been interesting and the people here helped me sort out how much an when taking the meds are right for me. I am fighting three front's Hashimoto's thyroid fluxing and nodule, secondary hypoT, and now adrenal insufficiency. What were your cortisol levels before treatment? What were your thyroid levels before treatment? Were you able to sleep on that schedule? I would have been in insomnia Hades.

I believe Rumpled can tell you too much will throw you into a Cushing's state. The FDA recommends starting at 20 mgs and moving up, unless you are dealing with extreme adrenal levels. I think 40 mgs is too much and possible suppressing your actual active T3 which drives our metabolism as a result.

I take 5 mg with my thyroid meds 6-7 am. Then 5 mg 10-10:30 am. Then 1:30-2:00 another 5 mg. And 5mg between 5-5:30 pm. HC after 6 am and I am perky and awake to the wee hours of the morning... which means cleaning frenzy at midnight.

I have to monitor my BP and HR before and 30 minutes after each dosing.. Cardiologist's orders and take daytime beta-blockers as well. I have tachycardia from autonomic antibody attack. And right now I had a recent wave of thyroid destruction which sent me into hyperT Hades adding to BP and HR issues. My body likes to attack itself when I am not sick with something else I guess. I guess I should spend more time with the toddlers and young kids and pick my nose.

Good luck let us know how the dosing adjustments work out.
MG
Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
(female)

nopearce HB User

I just came back from a new endo that specializes in the adrenal glands, and he agreed that I was on way too much HC. He says I need to be on 20mg at the most. He also said I was a challenging case and ordered a lot of tests. Something my old endo didn't do. He just assumed what was causing this and put me on all kinds of meds, which my new Dr. says is probably driving me crazy. So now I am hopeful. He says lorazepam might be causing my breasts to lactate, and he will do an ultrasound to see why my lower left abdomen is aching.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Hey,

This guy sounds like a keeper. You should post him on my thyroid thread where I am trying to get people to post the names and locals of competant Endos. They seem to be a rare breed. Keep us posted.

MG

Old 04-04-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User

*Slapping Head* Sorry! I did not read that right.
A low salt diet is a no no.. I take salt tablets and eat all the salt I can - problems with the adrenals mean you cannot manage or hold salt which means that you need more salt not less.
Glad you found a good endo who is investigating all the other causes...

Old 04-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay. If I have to take salt.. how can I reduce swelling? Cut the HC? See if I can try a different steriodal supplement? I have to do something it looks like the swelling may be moving to my ankles. My synthroid was reduced a week ago when I started HC. As a result I do not know which is responsible for the swelling. Guess I need to call my IM again. She calls me her problem child. I am a mess.

MG

Old 04-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

NoPearce--I'm from Louisiana, and am always trying to find a knowledgable doctor. Would you mind sharing who he is? You can list name and city only, no phone numbers. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
(female)

nopearce HB User

His name is Dr. Pedroza in LaPlace. Have you heard of him? He was the only doctor I could find that specialized in the adrenal glands. He took me off of a lot of meds, one of which he said was causing me to lactate. He ordered a few tests, one of which said I had low ATCH. I haven't gotten in the others. If I have low ATCH, does that mean I may not have primary adrenal insufficiency?

Old 04-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Thank you for telling me his name. I've been seeing a dr. in Lafayette, but always on the lookout for a good doctor by word of mouth. I am in western louisiana, so LaPlace is quite a ways from me, but for a good doctor, it could potentially be worth it. How did you find out about him? Is he an endo?

I do believe a low ACTH with a low cortisol is secondary addison's, or you could call it hypopituitary.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #13
(female)

nopearce HB User

I am also seeing a doctor in Lafayette, which is closer to my home, but I wanted to see an Endocrinologist that specialized in the adrenal glands. He was the only one I could find. They don't know that I am seeing both. I just wanted to see if they thought alike, and they don't.

Closed Thread