It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
(male)

award11 HB User
Addison's with sudden high blood pressure

I was diagnosed with Addison's about a year ago. A MRI showed possible adenoma on my pituitary gland. Stim tests showed very little cortisol being produced. Have been taking cortef 20am/10pm and up until recently have done okay. A few weeks ago, my BP which normally is a little low, suddenly started running around 160/100. Went to cardiologist and had full study done and concluded my heart looks great. Started taking blood pressure medicine and BP went close to normal, occasionally still being high. However, for the past 3 mornings, immediatedly upon waking my BP has been in the neighborhood of 170/110. This is while ON BP medicine. It seems to be highest right after waking up. I'm just wondering if my body is not suddenly or spuratically producing cortisol now and with the cortef, producing too much cortisol resulting in the high BP. Another factor is that I am in a lot of pain due to sciatica/hearniated disks. I hurt bad, a lot and was wondering if maybe this could be making my BP spike also ? Has anyone out there ever had similar issues ? I have been on the phone with my nurses from my endo and from my cardio all day today.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
(female)

reemu HB User
Re: Addison's with sudden high blood pressure

have you done a 24 hour urine test to check total cortisol? ask to do one, i think it's the only way to know for sure since it varies through the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
(male)

award11 HB User

Yes I did have the 24 hour urine but I dont know about the total cortisol. I think he was more checking for a adrenal tumor.

Last edited by award11; 10-10-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

That is what I was going to say, adrenal tumor. My dad had a pheochromocytoma removed MANY years agao that was causing blood pressure spikes.

Closed Thread