It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
(female)

jess97 HB User
Any Natural supplements to Aid in Addison's??

Hello out there. I'm very new to Addison's - i went to the ER about 2 months ago knowing I was serverly dehydrated after vomitting for 36 hours straight. Sodium levels were low, they admitted me and i stayed there for 5 days. I was diagnosed with Addisons and hypothyroidism. I have all the classic symptoms - dark skin, depression, etc. I am being supervised by an endo but was wondering what is out there in ways of natural supplements. this seems like a grea board - many expienced Addison's people. I'm on Cortef and Florinef right now - along with Levoxcyl for my hypothyroidism...I just picked up the Adrenal Fatigue book by Wilson yesterday and am starting to read....good stuff. If anyone has any insight i would really appreciate it. Good luck to all you guys out there suffering from this disease. I have to be honest - i'm grateful to be alive after what i went through, but am thouroughly confused as to what ways i should handle this disease. I'm really nervous about staying on Cortef for any length of time, but realize that may be my only option. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-11-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
(male)

Sypher7 HB User
Re: Any Natural supplements to Aid in Addison's??

Hey there. I too am extremely new to AI. I was diagnosed just this last monday, and before that have been in bed for 6 weeks straight unable to function, and in ER 5 times during that. See my post 'new to AI' for the story.

As for supps, there's alot of great stuff to take for the adrenals. If you have severe AI like me, or straight addisons, you HAVE to have cortef, which i learned the hard way yesterday. I was taking too little, and felt like i nearly died yesterday, lost control of my body almost completely, heart was racing and BP dropped i thought my heart would fail.

I'd been on alot of the adrenal supps.. but probably not long enough (apart from licorice extract).

The best site most people use for a combination of medical and natural stuff for AI/Addisons, is Dr Lam's info here:

[url]http://www.drlam.com/A3R_brief_in_doc_format/adrenal_fatigue.cfm[/url]

It's got great info, and details on meds and supps that help the adrenals and nervous system etc.

when it arrives in the post, I will be using Pantethine (bioactive b5) as it's the most important for the adrenals. Not sure how much it may help now that im on hydrocortisone, but may aswell try keep the glands alive.

~Chris.

Last edited by Sypher7; 10-11-2008 at 01:49 AM. Reason: URL missing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
(male)

chris14 HB User

look at the one that was posted by me. it has some good info. if you take Adreno booster you will become dependant on it and that stuff isn't cheap or that effective.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

jess97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris14 View Post
look at the one that was posted by me. it has some good info. if you take Adreno booster you will become dependant on it and that stuff isn't cheap or that effective.
Thanks - i found your post very helpful. I read on this board that an Osteopath would know more about Addisons than an endo(not sure if that's true - but no harm in checking it out, right?) so I'm going to one next week. we'll see what he says...

Closed Thread