It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
New test, not Addison's but......

Hello all. I'm usually on the thyroid board since I have thyroid disease (Hashi's), but I recently am seeing a new doctor who was kind enough to do a string of tests including some adrenal testing which included a saliva cortisol test (one I have never done). I can't get in to see him for another two weeks, but he did fax my test results to me and I noticed even though my blood cortisol was fine my saliva cortisol seemed a little low along with some other Adrenal hormones. If anyone could comment on these results I would appreciate it.
Here are some of my results:

Cortisol Saliva tests:
8 am 0.09 (0.04-.56)
4 pm 0.07 (0.04-.15)
11pm 0.04 (0.04-.09)

now I noticed these are all in range but compared to my blood Cortisol (am)
19.2 (4.0-22) these seem very low?

Aldosterone/PRA 3.6 (1.5-18.2)
Aldosterone LC/MS/NS 5 (3-28)
Plasma Renin Activity 1.4 (0.65-5.8)

these seem a little low too, but not sure if I should be concerned.

I have been feeling extremely tired lately, headaches, sinus infections, no energy after working out (if I even feel like it), just hard to get going all day long, etc.... thought maybe my thyroid was off, but all looks good there.

Anyway any comments or suggestions would be helpful, thanks

Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
Re: New test, not Addison's but......

No one out there with low cortisol?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

If anyone has any experience with low saliva cortisol please let me know how you are handling it. I just went to my doctor yesterday and he said my saliva cortisol is "normal". Also how can you have good blood cortisol and low saliva cortisol?

Thanks

Old 05-31-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

A single cortisol blood or saliva test isn't diagnostic because coritsol levels change dramatically throughout the day and weeks.

The high blood cortisol test does seem to indicate you don't have a cortisol problem. The only way to know for sure is some kind of provocative test to determine your cortisol reserve.

Perhaps your fatigue is related to other things such as frequent or recent antibiotic use, a yeast infection, improper absorption of your thyroid dose or perhaps lack of proper sleep?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

Thanks for your reply. I'm not on antibiotics, no infections, and my thyroid checked out fine. I'm going to be retested at the end of the month. Also I have started on compounding bio-identical hormones. I am 5 yrs post menopause and have never taken anything. My female hormones were very low. I've been on them for two weeks and feel better, but not great.

Closed Thread