It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
(female)

making777 HB User
Exercise and stress dosing

Has anyone here started exercising after being diagnosed? I was dx in 2006 and finally feel well enough to exercise. I take Pred 5mg in the am and 2 mg around 2:00pm, but on the days I exercise I take an extra 5mg 15 min before I run. How long will I need to do this? Do we need to take extra every time we exercise, or will our bodies eventually become accustomed to the exercise and no longer require extra doses? The first time I exercised I did so right after my am dose, hoping I would not need any or much extra med, but by the end of the day I needed almost 3 times as much Pred and I still felt horrible when I went to bed. I know at this time I need extra, but I hope to start weaning myself soon and just wanted to hear from others to get an idea how long this process might take. Thanks so much!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
(female)

Diane44 HB User
Re: Exercise and stress dosing

Quote:
Originally Posted by making777 View Post
Has anyone here started exercising after being diagnosed? I was dx in 2006 and finally feel well enough to exercise. I take Pred 5mg in the am and 2 mg around 2:00pm, but on the days I exercise I take an extra 5mg 15 min before I run. How long will I need to do this? Do we need to take extra every time we exercise, or will our bodies eventually become accustomed to the exercise and no longer require extra doses? The first time I exercised I did so right after my am dose, hoping I would not need any or much extra med, but by the end of the day I needed almost 3 times as much Pred and I still felt horrible when I went to bed. I know at this time I need extra, but I hope to start weaning myself soon and just wanted to hear from others to get an idea how long this process might take. Thanks so much!
Hi,

I do exercise, I run for about 20 minutes and then do another 20 minutes of strength training. I do not take any extra dosages for this and was told by my Dr. that I didn't need to. I do ok, am tired at the end of the day but am also tired at the end of the day on days I do not work out so not sure it has to do with exercise or maybe lack of sleep ( I was also on one of the lowest dosages recommended until recently). I am on HC not Predinisone though and take 10mg in the early am 5mg at noon (just upped that after a year and a half per the Dr to see if I am less tired in the evening) and then 5mg at 3pm. So a total of 20mg a day. I know HC is different then Pred though so maybe I am not the best person to answer this. I wish you the best in making this work for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
(female)

making777 HB User

Diane44, thank you for your reply! I started weaning myself off of the extra steroid needed on the days I work out and think I have gotten it down to 2.5mg already. I am hoping at some point to not need extra, but I have a feeling it will take a while. Thank you for your input. Were you a runner before you were dx? I have always hated running before, so this is a new thing for my body. I wonder if that has something to do with it too?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
(male)

pacerpilot HB Userpacerpilot HB User

Hi 777,
I assume by your screen name you work on the triple 7? I know this post is old but I just wanted to let you know that the one thing my doc says is best for me is excersize. The more the better. I hate running but do it, and I lift wieghts/do push-ups, etc. I'm 45 and am in better shape than most guys half my age. If your stabil you shouldn't need to up your dose of steriod. Just don't work out 'til you puke either. You'll find that your body has a surprising ability to cope with stress other ways than just adrenalin (I think it's a myth invented by car and sports drink companies to market their products ). I'm by no means a health nut and do just fine. Don't be afraid to push yourself and do things-I scuba, fly (it's a pain in the posterior to get my medical but I do), ski, party, whatever. However, hangovers can be rather pronounced but you'll live to party again . Anyhow, make sure you start slow and work up to a routine. That's the mistake everybody makes when we begin to get in shape. That way you won't get to sore or injure a joint or something. Good luck!

Closed Thread