It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

love2knit HB User
depressed immune system and flu shots

I have Addison's and have been on hydrocortisone and dexamethasone alternately for 8 years.
Should I get the flu shots? I've heard various things and I want to know what those who live with Addison's have to say about it.
May God bless each one of you

Last edited by love2knit; 10-08-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
(female)

gettin' better HB User
Re: depressed immune system and flu shots

I have had the seasonal flu shot and plan to get the H1N1 shot when it's available later in the month. I know that nausea and vomiting can land me in a whole lot of medical trouble, and if the shot protects me against that, I can deal with the (so far unsubstantiated) fears about the shot itself. (I should say that I never got a flu shot in my life until I was diagnosed with hypopituitarism six years ago. Now I get one every year and have had no problems - and no flu.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
(female)

cruiser8892 HB User

Aren't you worried about the side effects from the H1N1 vaccine since it's so new and hasn't been given to people yet & the side effects studied. I know my doc suggested I get it too, but I'm leary this first year cause of the newness of it.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
(female)

gettin' better HB User

I'm a little uneasy about it, but flu vaccines are new every year depending on the strain they are expecting, right? They said if they had known about H1N1 in time, it would have just been included with the regular seasonal flu shot. I'm not that worried, and, like I said, I think the flu could land me in a whole lot more trouble than the shot could. Good luck in making your decision.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I think you should be very worried. These shots are extremely toxic and what I can't figure out is they are pushed onto pregnant women and children and those are are most ;likely to already have a weakened immune system. What happens when you take someone with a weakened immune system and inject toxins into their body?

As someone who suffers from autoimmune diseases I stay far away from any of the vaccines. In fact, you can prevent yourself from getting sick through vitamins, minerals, and herbs and food. It is called, building you immune system naturally and it is your best and only true defense.

When you get a shot, you are never guaranteed to not get sick anyways. It is found that these toxic shots can be detrimental to those with autoimmune diseases. Please do your research and don'tput blind faith into the media, doctors, and drug companies.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:08 AM   #6
(female)

Natalie91 HB User

Hi I'm 18 and i got diagnosed with addison's last year. I had a flu jab last year and i had an achey arm but thats the only side affect i had. I also has one two days ago, and i have n side affects, i'm due to have my swine flu jab on the 14th november, ill let you know how i get on i you want me to?

Hope everyone is okay!!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
(female)

lisB HB User

I had the normal flu shot last week, and the H1 yesterday. I was (very) worried about getting it, but my doctor just looked at me and said, can you really afford to take the risk of getting this flu.. And no I cant, not for a minut. Im to weak allready right now so the flu would kick my butt.

However as worried as I was, I did get it and I usually get really sick from the normal flu shot (as I did last week as always) but for this new one? Im fine, my arm is sore, im a bit dizzy at times, but thats all. I did take 40 mg extra cortison before getting it, maybe that was what did the trick for me, I dont know.
So for one that always gets ALL sideeffects, I can only recommend it.
Just think about it, can you afford to get the flu itself? I know I can not.
Its betters safe than sorry
Thinking of you
Lis

Old 11-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Actually if you address the health of your immune system through food, vitamins, minerals, and herbs you won't get sick. Garlic and lemons are naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. Take higher doses of Vitamin C and echinanea. There are so many things you can do to boost your immune system.

If you are unaware of the ingredients in the vaccines then you need to educate yourself. These toxins in the shots only further lower your immune system and it is part of the doctors job to give give and prescribe drugs, so of course he will tell you to get it.

Additonal toxins can be very detrimental for those of us with autoimmune diseases, you don't want to add to it. The body isn't made for chemicals, but it does a good job trying to filter them out. When you intorduce foreign DNA, RNA and other toxins you bombard your immune system. Whatever you body doesn't filter out will be stored within the tissues. Some of the chemicals are known neurotoxins, etc.

Plus, you are not "safe" now that you got a shot. If you don't know that, then I encourage you to read the package insert from your vaccine where the drug manufacturer will tell you that they don't know how long immunity will last and that is even *if* you take immuniuty. Again, it comes back to addressing the health of your immune system which you can do without the flu shots.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaIn2006 View Post
Actually if you address the health of your immune system through food, vitamins, minerals, and herbs you won't get sick. Garlic and lemons are naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. Take higher doses of Vitamin C and echinanea. There are so many things you can do to boost your immune system.
Doing everything you can to boost your immune system is a good idea.

However, people with Addison's have an added worry. If they get sick, their adrenals can not respond like a normal person. Cortisol is an immune controlling hormone which elevates to very high levels and then falls dramatically to signal the immune system to move into high gear. The rise can happen days before you even feel you are sick. But this will not happen for us, so we have to do this artificially, guessing when to elevate cortisol and when to drop. Further cortisol pills can not come anywhere near approximating what the human body does hourly/daily/weekly with cortisol levels.

As a result, any sickness is potentially much more serious for us. You can't just rely on a healthy immune system because we are missing a key control which can not be fixed. And we can not respond fast enough, or with sufficient timing to cut illness off in its tracks like a normal healthy person can. Even an ordinary fever can be life threatening if it turns to a crisis before you realize you are in trouble.

In this regard, the flu shot is a must to attempt to avoid getting sick especially with a potentially new flu that could leave you dependant on a respirator.

Last edited by orion; 11-29-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
(female)

galaxyfour HB User

hi was just wondering if you were ok after your swine flu jab?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
(female)

lisB HB User

galaxyfour:
I dont know who your asking but Im gonna answer it *smiles
I just had my second shot last week, and i had a couple of days not feeling to well, sorta like a light flu.. But other than that I am doing very well actually.

orion:
I totally agree with you.

Hugs and a merry christmas to everyone
Lis

Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
(female)

reemu HB User

i got both the H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccines with no side effects whatsoever.
I remember hearing that addison's patients are not supposed to get the nasal spray vaccine though, not sure why.... maybe our immune systems can't handle that particular variety for some reason?

Old 12-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

Orion makes A LOT of sense and I would take that advice seriously. Getting ill from this flu when your immune system does not work properly means that you would be at added risk of complications. I have several friends who decided not to get the shot and try to build up their immune systems naturally. Many of them still came down with the flu. On the other hand, a number of colleagues of my husband who were immunized have had to stay home to take care of their entire family who came down with the flu and not a single one of them got it themselves. Fortunately for those who got the flu, they got over it because they have normal immune systems.

You need to weigh the risks in your specific case. The consequences should you get the flu are quite high whereas the risk of complications from the shot are nowhere near as high. As someone has mentioned, you should stay away from the nasal spray type of the vaccine. This is because it is a live virus that may cause problems in someone with a depressed immune system. As for the mercury and formeldahyde content in the vaccine, there is more mercury in a tuna sandwich and formeldahyde is naturally occuring in the human body so the body recognizes and knows how to get rid of any excess. The DNA and RNA bit that was mentioned would I assume refer to the attenuated virus in the shot ?? If you catch the flu or a coronavirus which causes a cold etc.. you are also confronted with the DNA (RNA) of the virus.

I agree that you should inform yourself and make a good decision that is right for you. Just as you should not let physicians and pharmaceutical companies scare you into getting the shot, you should also not let fearmongering individuals scare you away from it. Inform yourself properly and then weigh the risks in order to arrive at a solid decision that you can live with.

Take care of yourself.

Estria

Old 12-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #14
(female)

alwaysonthago HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by estria View Post
Hello,

You need to weigh the risks in your specific case. The consequences should you get the flu are quite high whereas the risk of complications from the shot are nowhere near as high. As someone has mentioned, you should stay away from the nasal spray type of the vaccine. This is because it is a live virus that may cause problems in someone with a depressed immune system. As for the mercury and formeldahyde content in the vaccine, there is more mercury in a tuna sandwich and formeldahyde is naturally occuring in the human body so the body recognizes and knows how to get rid of any excess.

Just as you should not let physicians and pharmaceutical companies scare you into getting the shot, you should also not let fearmongering individuals scare you away from it.

Estria
Considering that formaldehyde has been proven to be extremely dangerous and an absolute cause of cancer I am not willing to take the chance for myself or my family. As for the flu or a cold, I would take any chance in the world of coming in contact with these viruses before I would put my life at risk with the many dangers of vaccinations. These viruses are a normal part of life and the way we stay away from them is to eat healthy, and understand that natural immunity is the best way to prevent illness in the future.

By the way, does anyone remember the media frenzie regarding Bush's statement that 'the "bird flu" was going to be a pandemic'?? We all know that was not the case. But unfortunately the swine flu has been blown out of porportion just the same, the only difference being the media has grasped onto this vast exageration.

This is something you need to do your research on and quit taking someone else's opinion as the reasoning for your familys health.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Do you eat apples ? Well guess what ? Apples contain traces of naturally occuring formaldehyde (there is also cyanide in the seeds) yet apples are extremely good for you. Formaldehyde occurs in nature and is created by our bodies when we eat certain foods. However our body actually recognizes this substance and takes care of ridding us of any excesses, naturally. The dangers with formaldehyde as with any other substance (even certain vitamins such as Vitamin A for example) is that we should not be exposed to such a large amount that our bodies cannot handle it. This is when we get into trouble.

I invite you to read some of the other threads on these boards coming from people with healthy immune systems who were unfortunate enough to suffer complications from the novel H1N1 flu virus. Some of them are now facing serious lung issues such as scarring and recurring infections. The problem with this virus is that we have no idea who will suffer complications and who will not. With the other flu viruses that we have seen we know that complications are more likely to be suffered by the old and by people with weakened immune systems (such as people on chemotherapy) so we vaccinate only these people because we know that a healthy immune system is sufficient to take care of the rest of the population. With this virus, it is actually the IMMUNE SYSTEM ITSELF that causes the complications and not the virus. In some people, it kicks the immune system into overdrive and causes severe lung inflammation (inflammation is a natural protection response in the human body but too much inflammation or chronic inflammation can be harmful and even deadly ... many cancers, for example, are partially caused by chronic inflammation). This is why some people are being put on respirators in ICU's and some even on ECMO machines (essentially, lung bypass machines). Some of these people have died, even with this treatment, and others suffer long term complications in their lungs.

It is true that the number of people who suffer complications is not as large as complications from the usual flu strains that we see, however, with the regular flu we KNOW that a healthy immune system makes your chances of complications practically nil so keeping yourself healthy is sufficient. I for one do not get the flu shot every year and I was undecided about this H1N1 shot until I began to do my reading and to hear first hand reports from patients and medical personell about how horrible complications from catching this can be. Therefore, rather than being constantly on edge and anxious about catching this flu bug (people around me were coming down with it, especially the university students that I teach), I decided to take my chances with the trace amounts of mercury and formaldehyde that is found in the vaccine. Keep in mind that certain types of vaccines for this virus do not contain these additives so if you are still nervous about them, just do some research and see about getting a shot that does not contain them. Unfortunately, I think it is only the inhalant type of vaccine that does not contain any of these things. Mercury I believe is contained in the multi vial shot (in order to prevent contamination of the second shot) and the formaldehyde is contained in the shot with adjuvant. You will have to check this information to be sure (I am not a physician) but this is what I have read in some of the medical journals.

I hope that whatever you decide to do in order to keep this bug at bay, be it to take the vaccine or to try to build up your immune system naturally ... or both (the path I have chosen), that you stay healthy and that you enjoy your holidays with your friends and families. All the best.

Estria

Closed Thread