It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
(male)

CFIDS HB User
Question Please help..potassium level???

My potassium level is slightly low on the past few tests...doctors told me to eat more bananas and stuff...I drink lots of water, and sometimes use trace minerals, but each time I have went to the ER they say I am slightly dehydrated (not sure if that is true or not). My nutritonal counclier believe my CFIDS is a direct result of Adreanl Fatigue, but not full-blown Addison's. I would agree with that, but...

I have read that potassium is bad for people with Adrenal Fatigue? Is a slighlty low potassium a sign of Adrenal issues or not???

Also, I have seen info that says no bananas for Adrenal people, but prunes are okay....they are both the same carns, sugar & potassium so hoiw can this be true???

Please help

Old 03-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
(male)

pacerpilot HB Userpacerpilot HB User
Re: Please help..potassium level???

You can eat all the bananas you want, they won't hurt you at all. What do you mean by "each time I have went to the ER"? Why are you going there? I've had Addisons since I was 12 and only go to the "ER" when I break something (like my back/neck, leg, shoulder, etc). Once I drank way too much-that sucked. If anything your potasium will go high as a result of dehydration, not low.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

Bananas and prunes are both a high potassium fruit. They also both are high on the glycemic index.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
(male)

CFIDS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerpilot View Post
You can eat all the bananas you want, they won't hurt you at all. What do you mean by "each time I have went to the ER"? Why are you going there? I've had Addisons since I was 12 and only go to the "ER" when I break something (like my back/neck, leg, shoulder, etc). Once I drank way too much-that sucked. If anything your potasium will go high as a result of dehydration, not low.
I have been to the ER with atrial fibrillation; earlier this month they had to shock me to get my heart back into normal rhythm...it is my under standing that addison's disease is a severe form of adrenal fatigue where you are mostly bed-ridden...BUT, it is possible to have varying degrees of adrenal fatigue with Addison's being the worst kind.

My nutitional counciler believes that I am suffering from adrenal fatigue and a thyroid problem...my saliva cortisol levels show adrenal issues...I am trying to piece it all together, and since I have read that people with Addison's generally have high potassium, and mine was low in the ER, I was confused if I really have adreanl problems, then why was my potassium low and not high?

I have read potassium can drop with stress so maybe because I was in distress it was low? I have very low energy, and bouts most days as if I literally feel as if I am wearing a suit made of lead weights...Is this indicitive of adrenal fatigue???

As for the bananas and prunes, I try to mix them with some protein now; will that help the glycemic thing?

Old 03-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

First of all, you're potassium levels can go down when you're dehydrated. You lose electrolytes when you're dehydrated and potassium is an electrolyte.
You may need to include liquid sports drinks that have potassium in them.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
(male)

CFIDS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari526 View Post
First of all, you're potassium levels can go down when you're dehydrated. You lose electrolytes when you're dehydrated and potassium is an electrolyte.
You may need to include liquid sports drinks that have potassium in them.
Yes but I use liquimins by trace mineral research now...I have used them on & off, and had been taking coral calcium for awhile on & off...you'd think I'd be getting plenty of electrolytes through these methods without all the sugar of sports drinks...

That is why I am asking...is low potassium or dehydration indicitve of Addison's or of a more minor form of Adrenal Fatigue???

Old 03-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIDS View Post
Yes but I use liquimins by trace mineral research now...I have used them on & off, and had been taking coral calcium for awhile on & off...you'd think I'd be getting plenty of electrolytes through these methods without all the sugar of sports drinks...

That is why I am asking...is low potassium or dehydration indicitve of Addison's or of a more minor form of Adrenal Fatigue???

Yes, here's more on the body's response to adrenal fatigue:

" Mineralcorticoids such as aldosterone modulate the delicate balance of minerals in the cell, especially sodium and potassium. It therefore regulates our blood pressure. Stress increases the release of aldosterone, causing sodium retention (leading to water retention and high blood pressure) and loss of potassium and magnesium. Magnesium is involved in over 300 enzymatic reactions in the body. When the body lacks magnesium, it will suffer from a variety of pathological conditions such as cardiac arrhythmias, uterine fibroids and osteoporosis."

I would say if you're not maintaining your potassium levels with what you've been taking then it's probably time to try something else. Maybe include other high potassium foods such as cantaloupes, wheat germ and potatoes.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
(female)

honestly3 HB User

No doctor has ever said that people with adrenal fatigue or Addisons ever become bed ridden. People with Addisons live life just fine as long as they take they're meds and see a doctor regularly. I have Addisons and I am a active mother of 3 young children.

Closed Thread