It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

mebyers HB User
Talking Addisons Disease

Hi! I was diagnosed with Addisons Disease (primary adrenal failure) in 2002 after many doctor and emergency room visits with no helpful diagnosis. I have been on Cortef, fluronef, cymbalta (for moods), levoxyl (thyroid), prevacid (gall bladder removed), B12 (pernissius anemia), Ferosol (low iron), zyrtec (allergies) for several years now. When first diagnosed with Addisons I was put on Hydrocortisone and immediately gained around 30 pounds. I did not feel good I actually felt worse. I changed doctors and was changed to Cortef. I lost a few pounds, not much, still feel aweful but I believe that the Cortef is working. I haven't had but only 1 emergency room visit. I really want to loose the weight I gained due to the Cortef. I have a bad problem with heat flashes. I sweat horribly for no reason. I have a really hard time waking up in the morning and given a chance I would sleep all day long. I really need some help. Any advice you can offer would help me out tremendously. I have a wonder endocrinologist. She sees me every 3 months, and checks a slew of blood tests. But I just feel that I really need some more advice. Please get back with me soon. I want to loose weight and get the color in my face fixed. It is really splotchy because of the addisons.
HELP!

Old 08-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
(female)

kim325 HB User
Re: Addisons Disease

I have the same issues as you on prednisone. What is cortef exacty? Is it similar to prednisone & hydrocortisone? Wish I could offer advice, but I'm having same things happen with me. If u find anything to help u, I would be grateful if u could pass it along. I have had primary Addison's for 10 years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
(female)

jenni12 HB User

Yea ive had addisons since 2004, i was 79 pounds when they diagnosed me, then they put me on Hydrocortisone, i went clear up to 140 pounds, i never wieghed more than 100 my whole life! But heck i would rather be a little over wieght than be that sick ever agian! So then my endo put me on prednisone, and ive been on that for 5 years now, and i did better with my wieght being on that, we just had to get the dosage right. Ive been at a solid healthy 120 pounds for 5 years now. So I would recommend prednisone, and maybe change endos if you still feel like crap, it sounds like she doesn't know how to read blood tests if you get it checked every 3 months, cause the tests should tell you if you need more or less of your meds. But hope you get feeling better, and dont stress too much with your wieght! Give yourself a break we have addisons and we aren't perfect, nobody is.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
(female)

macool HB User

Hi, I am new to this disease and new to this board I was just diagnosed on 09/28/2010. I posted a new thread today and need help with everything. It sounds like you have a good handle on this disease, so I was hoping if you have time to help me out. I know it's asking alot! I am over to a whelmed and got no guidance except RX from the hospital when I was released. They found this through low sodium levels at hospital and they could't get my sodium level to go back up while hooked to a sodium chloride drip. I also have type 1 diabetes. God Bless any helpers!!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
(male)

pacerpilot HB Userpacerpilot HB User

Something often overlooked is the rest of our body when diagnosed with a condition. Make sure you're eating right and getting excersize. An Endo will tell you in no uncertain terms that these two things will do more for someone with Addisons than anything else. The better shape you're in alows you to "cope" with stress easier. This includes getting up in the morning. Remember, you're coming out of a semi-sedated state from sleep so it takes a little umph to get going. Do cardio, bike, dance, karate, whatever, just do it. My Edno back home got me into Taekwondo with him. We also scuba'd and ran. I'm telling you though, start walking around the block in the evening and you'll find waking up gets easier and easier.

Closed Thread