It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
(male)

pacerpilot HB Userpacerpilot HB User
Coping with Addisons

I was diagnosed with addisons disease and hypothyriodism in 1975. I was a small, nervous, 11 year old kid. I remember my mom crying. Two days later my dad bought me a mini bike. My mom was furious because I might hurt myself and go into shock but my dad said "he'll LIVE his life, not fear his existence". I grew up very "normal". I took my meds in the morning, and did everything a teenage boy does-work, girls, race dirtbikes, girls, a little school, girls, etc. Other than the daily dose of pills noone knew a thing. 35 years later here I am. I have been very fortunate I know but something else worked in my favor. That was my father "requiring" me to be "normal". Sometimes it has taken more effort than others and sometimes it knocked me on my *** but I got up and kept going. How do I "cope with addisons"? I don't. It is a condition that requires maintenance so that I can continue to do what I want. Nothing more. I don't glorify or dignify or enable it to rule or influence my life in any negative way. People, please don't let a condition rule your life. Rule the condition, it's your's not the other way around. If a doctor isn't treating you right-get another doc! Challenge yourself, go climb a rock! I'm reading to many posts from people with addisons that are succumbing to it. Don't you dare do it! I don't mean to preach but I am healthy today because my dad was a hardass then. I have survived many serious illnesses and accidents in spite (truly in spite) of having addisons. I know it sucks to feel the way we do sometimes but you must push through-the option is unacceptable. I really don't mean to hurt anyones feelings either but most of being well is attitude. Our will to survive allows us to survive. Make your doctors listen, get stable and, live-really live, don't just shoot for "well I'm doing ok I guess". If anyone would like to talk with me about how I've done so well despite addisons just repond and we'll do so. Be well everyone (I've got to get to bed so I can go flying in the AM).

The following user gives a hug of support to pacerpilot:
pawleysgirl (01-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to pacerpilot For This Useful Post:
pawleysgirl (01-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
(male)

Bicycler HB User
Re: Coping with Addisons

Agreed! If I have to have a disease, this one isn't a bad one to have. I travel plenty in my work, I run less than I did but only because of my knees, but bike plenty and walk a lot.

I just take my medicine and go about my business and forget I have this disease, although sometimes I adjust my meds. I recently bumped up my florinef (the last year) and that took care of some cramping. I think as we age, and active lifestyle ebbs and flows, sometimes medication have to be adjusted. For the last couple weeks I was feeling lethargic, so I bumped my cortef about 5 mg, and back to my same old self.

The longer you have the disease, the better you will be at reading your body and adjusting meds.

But again, as diseases go, this is not a bad one to have. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
(male)

Good to hear someone else is doing well! I can only assume by the moniker "bicycler" you ride? I run. I used to do trialthons but kinda' let myself slip a little-although I'm getting bac into it.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
(male)

Bicycler HB User

I used to run every morning 2 to 5 miles, 6 days a weeks until hurting my knee coaching son's soccer team. Biking makes my knees feel so much better. I try to ride 3 to 4 times a weeks, 15 +, usually on weekends min of 20, my longest this summer was 36. I'd like to ride more often and longer distance, but like everyone else, have other demands on my time. I travel 2 to 3 nights a week and was taking my bike to ride during the summer months when the days were longer if I was staying in a location where I could ride safely. I'm not killing myself out there and am only averaging around 14+ mph in my hilly area and 15+ on flat courses.

Id luv to swim but no good place to do it.

By the way, for general discussion, I take Cortef (generic= Hydrocort). I asked my doctor once about prednisone since that was on the walmart $4 list. He told me that it was not for long term use (ie the rest of our lives) where the cortef was. Has anyone else heard that?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
(male)

Hi Bicycler,
I was just getting ready to run when I thought I'd check the Board! I take cortef too. My Doc told me about 7 years ago that it was better for me. I was on Prednisone forever before that-nobody said anything until I changed Doc's. I'm doing a 10/10/5 dosage and the Florinef with it. Although I'm not sure I need it. I've got borderline high blood pressure which is kinda' odd for someone like us. I do ride to but only about 5-6 miles a day(night). I walk(with my wife)run/bike in the evening. It's to hot in TX any earlier. Anyhow, gotta' go.

Be well!

Closed Thread