It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

3anglewhispers HB User
Anyone work nights?

Does anyone here work midnights and have Addison's? I am taking a new position and it is 12 hr midnights. Right now I work 12 hour days. I am excited about this new oppurtunity but am wondering how to manage my meds. I am currently taking 20mg of hydrocortisone at 6am and 15mg at 3pm. Any advice?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
(female)

3anglewhispers HB User
Re: Anyone work nights?

Okay, so since I haven't had any replies, but do see that many people have read this...this is what I have been doing. I have gradually been moving my medication times so that I am taking them later in the day. So instead of the 20mg at 5 or 6 in the morning, I am at 20 mg at 10 or 11 in the am. I am at 10mg at 6pm. I find that it is getting easier to stay up later. Tomorrow I will be moving the times again, so we will see. I find that so far it is going well. My 7p-7a shift starts in one week, so hopefully things will continue to go well. I am a nurse and these are the types of shifts we work. For the last two years I have been extremely sick. I got up one day at work, walked to the end of the hall from the nurses station, and felt like I was dying. My heart rate was 160, my bp was 60 over 32, and things went black. Not fun. I had felt like my body betrayed me. How come I could nurse everyone else back to good health, but not myself. Then all of my symptoms started to make sense with the diagnosis of Addisons. I had been having them for years and it was getting worse. However, the last three months have been wonderful. My meds are doing exactly what they are supossed to. I have adjusted my diet and sleeping habits. My docotr often teased that when he saw me at the hospital, there was nothing but a cloud of dust behind me, because I just never sat down. The Addison's has made it so that i had to take on a job that was in the office. Not only did my body need to heal but I had to limit my exposure to germs and stress. While I miss the patient care, I feel healthier then I have in a long time. So, is it possible to work midnights and have Addison's...I will let you know? I truly hope that this helps one of many who have read this thread. Please let me know any advice or comments you have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
(female)

kiaguppy HB User

This seems like a question for your endocrinologist to be on the safe side. My first inclination would have been to take the 20 mg when you wake up and then the other 10 mg a few hours before the end of your work day to be consistent with how people who work days would take their meds. However, if you find whatever you have done seems to work then you should go with that. I've recently started changing the way I take my meds since I was beginning to suspect that it was contributing to my insomnia.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

sandylake HB User

I just noticed your post about working nights, and I am wondering how you are doing. My son may be taking a job working nights, also. So, if you have any information that you would like to share about medication management (now that you may have several months of experience working nights), that would be great. Thank you and I hope that you are doing well.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
(female)

3anglewhispers HB User

I didn’t even realize that it had been that long. Well, a quick update. Yes, it is completely possible to work nights and have Addison’s. I have even been able to lower my dose since things have seemed to level off. I take 10mg when I wake up and 10mg at around 1am. That way I sleep well when I get home at 8am. In the past 7 months I have had one crisis that put me in the hospital. Was being treated for bronchitis and body was not at all cooperative. However, it is still an improvement, and there will just be times that this happens. I have asthma and psoriatic arthritis, so one body can only take so much at once. I have actually gained weight, which has had many people stating how “good” I look. Didn’t realize how bad it was until it was “good”. Guess when you are down for so long you just don’t notice the difference. Anyway, I love my new job. If there was a silver lining in all this mess, it is that Addison’s has forced me explore a different side of nursing. One I would have never considered had I not been diagnosed. My checkup was two weeks ago and my doctor made the comment about how healthy I have been since I switched jobs. Funny how being a nurse never prepared me for Addison’s. People ask me all the time how I could not have known because I am a nurse. It took my doctor some time to even figure it out. Addison’s is not common and in the area I live I find that are very few healthcare professionals that are knowledgeable about it. So it isn’t anybody’s fault and there was nothing I could do to prevent it. It is what it is. Addison’s doesn’t keep me from living my live. If anything, it helps me to enjoy it even more because of all I have been through. Life is to short and I have three teenagers to keep up with.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
(male)

chriswva HB User

i to am a nurse by trade. i work nights because working in the day was impossible for me with addisons. you can spread your doses out further than what you are. i've taken my second dose as late as midnight. 8 to 11 hrs between doses and felt fine. 20mgs after breakfast (the afternoon for me) then 20mgs around midnight works for me. u work during the day? how!? i can not function waking up early in the morning and working. your body is lowest on cortisol early in the morning no matter what sleep schedule you are on. i wouldn't even attempt to get out of bed on days off until noon. my suggestion adjust your sleep schedule slowly. being nocturnal has changed my life with addisons for the better. my overall quality of life has improved drastically since i became nocturnal. no waking up early and feeling terrible all day. plus people with addisons for the most part feel our best at night when the body uses less cortisol.

you work during the day? how do you manage? i am curious.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
(female)

3anglewhispers HB User

If you read my post you will see that I was working days and felt awful. Took a job in case management working 12 hours at night and feel awesome. I split my doses the same as you and find it works for me. I also have other autoimmune and health issues, so I not only battle the Addison's but other things as well. I am glad you are feeling better on nights. When I stop and look back, I was always a night owl. Even as a kid. I am 37 now and that hasn't changed. My specilaity was Critical Care and ER. I do miss it, but feel better.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
(male)

chriswva HB User

lol....good for you. nursing is a very stressful job as you know. i would look for a less stressful job but i signed 1 year agreement for the signing bonus. i am 35 and going through a divorce. i am glad you are doing much better now.

Closed Thread