It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
(male)

MichaelR23 HB User
Do I have Addison's Disease?

Ive been having these symptoms starting April.

- My skin turned tan or light tan in a matter of days. I wasnt even out in the sun to even turn that tan.Limited exposure to the sun seems to worsen my skin more.

- Lost of weight up to 10-15 pounds

- Fatigued and weakness in my muscles. I cant sustain a high level of activity.

- Mentally , I feel a slower and have a hard time focusing.

- My body seems to have reduced in size.Maybe its the lost of weight or muscles disappearing.

-Urinating more,bloated,gassy,wounds heal differently,hair looks stale,nails look stale,and my appetite has increased.

Sometimes i get really dizzy, like im about to faint when i stand up from laying down or sitting.

Every single blood test Ive took have came back normal.My potassium and sodium have came back normal. *** is goin on?

My endocrinologist doctor has ordered these tests for me.
Blood work for my ACTH,T4,TSH,and my free cortisol?I'm not sure about the free cortisol.
24 hr urine test for cortisol.

Can someone please help me by telling me whats wrong or goin on?

Last edited by MichaelR23; 06-17-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
(female)

sandylake HB User
Re: Do I have Addison's Disease?

Hi,

About a month ago, my 22-year old son was very ill. We finally convinced him and after blood testing he was immediately hospitalized because his sodium levels were abnormally low and his potassium levels were high and he was experiencing orthostatic hypotension (when he stood up he became very dizzy because his heart rate elevated, but his blood pressure dropped significantly). Additionally, he seemed very tanned and getting darker (even though he had not been sun tanning), he craved a lot of water, salt and candy.

These are ALL symptoms of an "adrenal crisis," which untreated can be life threatening. Since my son did not want to seek medical help, I specifically asked every one of his doctors "How serious was this?" They ALL replied, "very serious; untreated it could be fatal."

It is very good that you have sought medical help.

(1) A simple blood test can confirm if your sodium and potassium levels are abnormal and

(2) A blood pressure comparision lying down and then after standing can confirm if you are experiencing orthostatic hypotension. These can easily be performed in an emergency room.

Acute adrenal crisis is a life-threatening condition that occurs when there is not enough cortisol, a hormone produced by the adrenal glands.

In adrenal crisis, patients need an immediate injection of hydrocortisone through a vein. or muscle (intramuscular). Also, stabilization of your sodium and potassium levels should be done slowly to prevent brain swelling.

You will need to go to the hospital for treatment and monitoring. If infection caused the crisis, you may need antibiotic therapy.

Just because someone has an "adrenal crisis" does not necessarily mean they have Addison's disease. BUT, a crisis can be the beginning of this disease, whether caused by heriditary reasons (autoimmune disorders) or caused by stress or other "events" such as a virus, etc.

Persons in "adrenal crisis" or who have untreated Addison's disease are also affected psychologically -- their blood chemistry is so dangerously imbalanced these patients can become unable to care for themselves or make important correct decisions. They can become very confused, depressed, emotional.

PLEASE let us know how you are doing and I hope that you get excellent care and recover.

Sandy

Last edited by sandylake; 06-23-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: shorten

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread