It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User
Should I be concerned about any of these test results?

I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto) and have been suffering from depression. My doctor put me on 20mg of Lexapro and suggested that I see a therapist. Well, at my 2nd visit, my therapist said she believes my despression is hormonal and suggested that I get checked for adrenal insufficiency. At my 3rd visit, she even told me that I don't need to come back until the hormonal issues are resolved.

Here are the tests that my doctor ran on 06/03:

Thyroid Tests (100mcg Synthroid)
TSH 1.59 (.034 - 5.60)
FT4 0.70 (.61 - 1.12)
FT3 2.63 (2.50 - 3.90)

Cortisol (taken at 8:00am) 6.4
AM Range: 6.7 - 22.6
PM Range: < 10

Testosterone 26
Range: <10 - 75

Estradiol 467
Range: 95 - 433

My primary doctor referred me to an Encocrinologist, who ignored all of the above results. He ran a few more tests on 06/21.

No official paperwork to post results from, but Endo said the ACTH stimulation test came back normal, as well as my cortisol, testostone, and estradiol. He did passively note that my DHEAs was slightly low and that my TSH was now 10, which is odd because I have been on 100mcg of Synthoid since March and have been taking it at the same time and the same way every day, without missing a dose.

I asked the nurse to mail the results to me as this new doctor has already been dumped. He didn't increase my medication, nor did he put me on anything new... all he had the nerve to say was that he thinks I should get a second opinion on my mental health!!! He ignored all of my symptoms and didn't listen to me at all.

Are there any tests that I need to request from my new endocrinologist that I see in July?

Sorry this is so long. I am just so frustrated.

Last edited by TinyTot2; 07-01-2011 at 05:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User
Re: Should I be concerned about any of these test results?

Hi!

Just an update. I got the results of my tests in the mail. The tests in my original post were taken after a 12-hour fasting. There was no fasting for this set of tests, which were taken around 2:30pm. I did have some coffee about 2 hours before.

Blood Urea Nitrogen 13 (6 - 23 mg/dL)
Sodium 137 (136 - 145 mmol/L)
Potassium 3.6 (3.4 - 5.1 mmol/L)
Chloride 101 (98 - 107 mmol/L)
BiCarbonate 26 (22 - 32 mmol/L)
Glucose 78 (65 - 99 mg/dL)
Creatinine 0.79 (0.50 - 1.10 mg/dL)
Albumin 4.6 (3.5 - 5.2 g/dL)
Total Protein 7.0 (6.6 - 8.7 g/dL)
Calcium 10.0 (8.6 - 10.2 mg/dL)
Alkaline Phosphatase 46 (35 - 104 U/L)
AST/SGOT 22 (10 - 32 U/L)
Bilirubin Total 0.6 (0.2 - 1.2 mg/dL)
ALT/SGPT 27 (8 - 33 U/L)
GFR >60 (mL/min/1.73 sqm)
Adrenocorticotropic 24.7 (7.2 - 63.3 pg/mL)
Cortisol 0-minutes 7.7 ug/dL
Cortisol 30-minutes 23.7 ug/dL
DHEA-S 21 (99 - 340 ug/dL)
Estradiol 17 Beta 34.3 pg/mL

Honestly, none of the tests make sense to me.

Here are some of the symptoms I've been experiencing:
Pale skin
Fatigue
Muscle weakness
Salt cravings
Weight loss
Nausea
Diarrhea
Abdominal pain
Dizziness
Migraines
Blurry vision
Inability to deal with stress
Irritability
Anxiety
Sleepiness/yawning (even after being awake for 3+ hours)
Depression (though controlled on Lexapro)
Unrefreshing sleep
Sensitivity to light
Low motivation
No sex drive
Tingling in arms / hands / fingers
Sharp pain in thigh muscle

Might any of the test results indicate some sort of adrenal insufficiency? I am so tired of feeling like this. My doctors can't believe that I don't feel any relief of symptoms no matter what dose of thyroid medication I am on! It has been 15 years of no relief! I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Last edited by TinyTot2; 07-01-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User

Another update:

New endocrinologist said I should start taking 50mg of DHEA daily and took more tests today.

She mentioned that my cortisol was on the low end of the range, so she did the low-dose (1/250th of the standard) ACTH test, drawing the baseline, then 30min, then again at 60min. When I had the standard ACTH test done, I felt unusually calm and pretty darn good during the wait. This time, I felt super dizzy and tired at the 30min mark, but started to feel better by the time the full hour was up. The test was done by 11am. It is now 5:30pm here and I am super lightheaded, dizzy, nauseated, and shaking. I haven't felt this bad in weeks!

I had asked for the saliva test, but she believes it is inaccurate and said this low-dose test would be best.

She also tested my B12 levels, thyroid hormones, some antibody levels that I don't know what they were for, and for Celiac disease.

I sure hope something comes from all of these tests. Now that my thyroid levels are normal, I've gone from being super sensitive to cold to being super sensitive to heat, which is causing migraines.

I'm not sure if I should start the DHEA now, or if I should wait until my result are in next week. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by TinyTot2; 07-19-2011 at 06:03 AM.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User

Another update:

Cortisol baseline: 5.7 (6.7 - 22.6 ug/dL)
Cortisol 30 min: 16.1
Cortisol 60 min: 18.9

My endo almost seemed like she was going to send me away with nothing until I gave her a copy of some medical records from 2002. Here are the results from a stim test I had then:

Cortisol baseline: 21.1 (5.0 - 25.0 ug/dL)
Cortisol 30 min: 32.8
Cortisol 60min: 40.8

Based on the decline from 2002 to now, she started me on a trial dose of HC (15mg) split with 10 in the morning and 5 early afternoon.

I'll also be started the DHEA.

I'll be going in early next week to get my aldosterone,renin, and acth baselines test done. She said she won't get those back for 2 weeks, but I should start taking the HC and DHEA right away after the blood is drawn.

Why would she be doing a baseline for ACTH? Would that help pinpoint whether it is primary or secondary adrenal insufficiency?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

TinyTot, I was wondering how you've been feeling since you began your medicine.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User

Hi!

Thanks for asking I have been taking the medication since last Thursday and have to say that I am starting to feel so much better!

Here is a list of symptoms that I had... the ones in RED are either COMPLETELY GONE or majorly reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTot2 View Post

Pale skin
Fatigue
Muscle weakness
Salt cravings
Weight loss
Nausea
Diarrhea
Abdominal pain
Dizziness
Migraines
Blurry vision
Inability to deal with stress
Irritability
Anxiety
Sleepiness/yawning (even after being awake for 3+ hours)
Depression (though controlled on Lexapro)
Unrefreshing sleep
Sensitivity to light
Low motivation
No sex drive
Tingling in arms / hands / fingers
Sharp pain in thigh muscle
For the first time in 10 years I actually am starting to have hope that I will finally start to feel better, to stay better! I still have bounds to go, though.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

That is great! I am an undiagnosed case, and get these waves of feeling REALLY bad. I already can't stand up very long as I get lightheaded. My aldosterone was a 3 a couple of years ago. My cortisol has been anywhere from the lowest of 7 to a normal in the teens. My ACTH is normal. I have had low blood sugar for probably 20 years.

I can't do anything. I stay home and sit on the computer. I can't drive, I can't be upright more than 5-10 minutes. And then there are times like the past 10 days where, when I get up in the morning, I feel like I have taken a sleeping pill. I do take a thyroid pill every morning and drink tea, and usually feel my heart a little racy mid-morning because of it. In the last 10 days, I don't even feel that racy heart.

I get labwork in the morning, which will be hard. I can't do ANYTHING in the morning time. I have put labwork off for 10 days due to the overwhelming fatigue. I actually feel that giving those tubes of blood may push me over the edge and I'll just pass out.

Sometimes I wonder if I have adrenals that are winding down. I just feel awful.

Closed Thread