It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
(male)

AdamGeorge4 HB User
Just diagnosed with a few questions

Hey Everyone,

So i'm a 25 year old male who was diagnosed with Addison's Disease and Hypothyroidism about two months ago.

was diagnosed based off of Cortisol, ACTH levels and my TSH levels. I've seen on this message board and elsewhere on the internet that diagnosis usually involves an ACTH stimulation test which I haven't had. Should I be asking for the ACTH test to be absolutely sure?

Also, along those same lines should I be getting scanned to check on how far gone my adrenals are and to rule out the possibility of a tumor?

Here is my original blood work if that helps anyone with an answer:

Sodium: 127
Potassium: 5.3
Cortisol: 1.3 (taken at about 2:00-2:30)
ACTH: 2000

Thanks in advice for any help and advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
(female)

sandylake HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with a few questions

I just noticed your post (back in July) and it's a shame that no one replied to you.

I hope that you are doing ok. My 22-year old son was diagnosed with Addisons over Memorial Day weekend this year. He went to the emergency room and they admitted him because his sodium levels had been very low, his potassium levels were very high, and he was experiencing orthostatic hypotension (upon standing his BP was very low and his heart was racing). They did not do an ACTH stim test because the doctors immediately started him on high doses of hydrocortisone (so that he would not die).

My son's labs, while in the hospital, showed that his thyroid was off, but once he was stabilized and on hydrocortisone (now prednisone) his thyroid function returned to normal.

I hope that you are in the care of an Endocrinologist, as most physicians don't understand this illness. I also hope that you are doing well. IF you do have Addison's Disease, it is very important to take your medications and be under the care of an Endocrinologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
(female)

kiaguppy HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with a few questions

From what I've heard the ACTH test is the definitive test for Addison's. Otherwise, you may have some other adrenal disorder in combination with hypothyroidism. there's also a test to determine whether your hypothyroidism is due to your immune system attacking your thyroid. It doesn't change the treatment so it may be worth having that test.

Closed Thread