It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
(female)

duchessofdenim HB User
Primary Adrenal Insufficiency and Heat Intolerance

I was diagnosed with Addison's Disease - Primary Adrenal Insufficiency on Yom Kippur 1998 when I had my first Adrenal Crisis. I almost died that day. After trying to manage this disease with Prednisone - unsuccessfully, my current Endocrinologist put me on Cortef - 3 times a day and it works wonderfully. At least until recently when I have developed Hyperthyroid and EXTREME Heat Intolerance. I have to change clothes several times a day from excessive sweating during what I can only call "Hot Episodes". These are not Hot Flashes and I am told are not Menopausal. They last about 20 minutes and I am soaked - literally. We are in the middle of a very hot Summer and this disorder is seriously making me miserable. I have lost weight, I am dehydrated all the time and I generally feel ill on top of the intolerable symptoms of Heat Intolerance. I have always had a problem with hot, humid weather - but this is a whole new level of discomfort. I cannot imagine surviving 6-8 more weeks of hot, humid weather -which only makes me feel worse. Any stress or the simple activity of eating dinner can trigger a "hot episode". I run fevers regularly too. I have always loved cold weather and I crave it so much now. Is there anything I can do to help relieve these symptoms? I am currently looking for work outside the home but I am semi-disabled from the side affects of this disease. Again, I have to change clothes several times a day because I sweat so profusely during these "episodes" -particularly my back, and you can tell that my clothes are soaked as well. This is an embarrassing thing to happen. This is no way to live.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
(female)

ct*Linda HB User
Re: Primary Adrenal Insufficiency and Heat Intolerance

I just posted a question asking how to tolerate the heat as well. I play competitive tennis and have to double or even triple my prednisone before a match in this heat. And double my Florinef and increase salt intake.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
(female)

duchessofdenim HB User

I have never taken Florinef. I wonder why? I may call my Doc tomorrow and ask about that. I am always dehydrated and I take 30mg of Cortef daily. I have pretty much figured out what is causing my heat intolerance though. There are 3 factors. This is about the hottest Summer of my LIFE. It has been over 100 degrees and humid almost every day for the last month and a half. This is the biggest cause. I have Addison's Disease - and Heat Intolerance is one of the top 3 symptoms. Obviously this is a major cause. Finally, I take amphetamines (by prescription) which are in the top 3 causes for Heat Intolerance. I can't do anything about having Addison's Disease or this hot & humid Summer, but I can cut back on my Adderal. I am slowly tapering down with the hope of getting down to half my usual daily dose. I am staying inside in the A/C as much as possible. We have at least a month to 6 weeks of this heat left before it slowly starts to get cooler. I can't wait for October!!!!! November will be even better!!!!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
(female)

duchessofdenim HB User

My Doc prescribed Florinef today and told me to double my Cortef intake until this heat passes (it was 109 degrees today and humid). Is there anything about Florinef. I am suppose to consume more salt too. Am I going to blow up like a balloon?

Closed Thread