It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
(male)

david45249 HB User
aldosterone

Hey everyone. I would appreciate some feedback if you don't mind. I'm currently taking 1 mg of dexamethasone and 12.5 mg of hydrocortisone. That should be plenty of cortisole in my system. But I'm still tired and have muscle aches that cramp up very easily. The doctor tested my aldosterone level and it came back as 3. That is below my normal range. My electrolytes came back normal though. So will aldosterone make me feel better or not? Any ideas? My doctor said it wouldn't be a good idea to have a trial run on the medicine though. I just want to feel normal again. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

David

Old 09-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
(male)

david45249 HB User
Re: aldosterone

Anyone at all? ......................

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
(female)

swtnsalt HB User

I also have issues with aldosterone and the first week I was given 10 mg of hydrocortisone each morning, and 25 mg of spironolactone two times a day.
This generated no change in my symptoms other than I got more stressed out.

One week later after the results of the Insulin Tolerance test came in the dosages were increased to 10 mg hydrocortisone in the am and 10 mg at noon and then 1 tablet as needed for stress (which I haven't needed so far). The spironolactone was increased to 100 mg twice a day.

I feel soooooooooooooo.....(can't emphasis this enough) much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have secondary hyperaldosteronism due to another underlying condition (crf-acth defect).

There is a rather nasty side affect however severe bladder pain the first night I took spirinolactone (aldactone). I thought I was going to collapse from the pain and I could barely urinate this has since resolved although I did take some phenazopyridine (AZO over the counter) I had from prior UTI's, which is what I first thought I had.

Also if you experience the nerve pain and muscle spasms with your condition like me; you may discover that these meds do not help, not sure why but I have not had any relief from the pain although not being so tired makes it easier to deal with.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
(male)

david45249 HB User

Were your electrolyte levels off (potassium, sodium, chloride)?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
(female)

swtnsalt HB User

Yeah electrolytes are really fluctuating can't seem to get them under control. Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, and Chloride, as well as High Lymphocytes and Low RBC's with
B12 deficiency.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
(female)

Elle4747 HB User

As I've had low potassium for a while, even though I have been taking 3, 20meq potassium pills a day for the last two years, my plasma acidosis test last week showed my aldosterone is high. My blood pressure is low and my sodium is low, too.

I've had Meniere's Disease since 2003 and have been taking drugs to decrease the vertigo and vomiting. More symptoms too-still. The drugs include diuretics which does affect potassium, sodium, chloride, etc.

I am scheduled for a CT scan which is supposed to take 1 hour and 5 minutes. Has anyone ever had one of these? What are they looking for with the scan? My web searches talk more about high blood pressure with high aldosterone-but that's me.

Experiences? Thank you.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
(male)

david45249 HB User

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about Meniere's Disease.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
(female)

Elle4747 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by david45249 View Post
I'm sorry but I don't know anything about Meniere's Disease.
Thank you. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread