It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
(female)

k_c_lady HB User
Wink Hydrocortisone Alternatives Whats out there?

Hello, I have been using hydrocortisone (cortef) for 6 years this last Aug..

I have notcied in the last year or so that my memory is getting worse and worse. The other day, I noticed that one of the side effects to Cortef is memory loss. It's so bad that my sons says "mom, you can't member anything, I mean AN-Y-THING!" I am not sure what to do at this point. I don't want to continue this way.

Whats out there besides this scary drug? I take 30mg in the morning and 10 at night (when I can remember)

Thanks for your help! Kc

Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
(female)

sandylake HB User
Re: Hydrocortisone Alternatives Whats out there?

I have been researching this recently for my son. This is the info I have found.

ADRENAL CORTEX EXTRACT
LICORICE EXTRACT
SIBERIAN GINSING
DHEA
ashwagandha and very large doses of vitamin B5.
Herbal remedy called AdrenoBoost --

We have not tried any of these ALTERNATIVES, yet. My son was diagnosed May, 2011 -- he was taking hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone. During summer (while hiking) he substituted his hydro for prednisone.

I, too, would like to hear some responses/ info from others on this forum. Hope that they contribute.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-21-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
(female)

kiaguppy HB User

This is the first time I've heard of cortef causing memory loss. I don't take as much as you do (20 mg in am and 5 mg in pm) but I don't sense significant memory loss and any lapses I do have I attribute to getting old. I hope you're wrong and that there's another cause of your memory loss. I've found that the reaction to cortef and florinef can really vary among person.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
(male)

chriswva HB User

prednisone but i didn't like side affects. hydrocortisone has been my favorite. 20mg in morning 20mg at night. ginseng is a good supplement. licorice root extract is quite expensive so i buy black licorice (be careful though most licorice isn't even made with licorice root.) i have experienced good things with those. as well as ginger for stomach problems.

memory loss. never even heard of it being a a side effect. maybe a ginko bioloba supplement might help that issue.

BIG WARNING: adrenoboost will make you feel good for a short period of time, but the comedown will leave you on the verge of an addrenal crisis. do not recommend.

The Following User Says Thank You to chriswva For This Useful Post:
sandylake (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
(female)

sandylake HB User

Thanks, Criswva, for the feedback about AdrenoBoost. I was concerned about the hype and it's very helpful to get some feedback about it.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
(female)

ntpix HB User

I start using Hydrocotisol for 2 months side. Start to feel the side effect of HC: bigger face (round shape), increase weigth...
I am in Vietnam, so not sure, over there around the world, you guy have any new/advance medicine which is better than HC now.
Please share with me if you know any.
Thanks...

Last edited by moderator2; 10-27-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
(male)

chriswva HB User

i am unaware of any new breakout medication. prednisone is an alternative some people like. i had more side effects using it. some suppliments help with side effects of corticosteroids. if interested just ask and i can give you a list of a few just let me know on here.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
(female)

ntpix HB User

Hi Chriswva, appreciate if you share me the suppliments that help to reduce the side effect of HC. Thanks

Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
(female)

k_c_lady HB User

Yes. Round face, increase weight. Yup, yup. Did that. Gained 50 pounds in the last 6 years. I'm only 31. I'm going to try some of these things. I've had it! I have been digging into the Gerson Therapy. If they can cure cancer maybe their therapy can fix me.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
(female)

ntpix HB User

What is "Gerson Therapy"? Can you explain me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_c_lady View Post
Yes. Round face, increase weight. Yup, yup. Did that. Gained 50 pounds in the last 6 years. I'm only 31. I'm going to try some of these things. I've had it! I have been digging into the Gerson Therapy. If they can cure cancer maybe their therapy can fix me.

Closed Thread