It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
(female)

streetlights11 HB User
High Cortisol/Low Prolactin w/ Addison's Symptoms

So I'm a bit of a medical mystery. I've been suffering for the past 3 years - the major symptoms occurring after the birth of my child in 2008. I had Placenta Previa and suffered 3 hemorrhages before an emergency C-section. I had an infected hematoma under the incision on top of the uterus.

Since then, I've suffered from very classic "Addison's" symptoms despite my blood work showing very high cortisol indicative of Cushing's. I also have low prolactin. My thyroid is on the "high side of normal."

My symptoms include:
Hypoglycemia
Anemia
Low blood pressure
Fatigue
Diarrhea
Extreme weight loss

I've had several MRIs of my pituitary gland showing nothing abnormal which according to my doctor puts "Sheehan's Syndrome" off the list. Also, the ultrasounds of my adrenals look normal.

Has anyone heard of this before? I'm seeing an endocrinologist next Monday but I'd love to hear some insight from this discussion board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
(female)

Toboein HB User
Re: High Cortisol/Low Prolactin w/ Addison's Symptoms

Hi there,

I am 25 and going through the same thing. I have symptoms of Addison's with fast heart beat, shortness of breath occasionally, anemia, very low BP, and low blood sugars. My cortisol, however, is testing HIGH and not supressing during the day like it should.

I am a medical mystery as well - a clean mri so far. I hope to hear more from you should you find a diagnosis.

The Following User Says Thank You to Toboein For This Useful Post:
streetlights11 (01-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
(female)

streetlights11 HB User
Re: High Cortisol/High prolactin w/ Addison's Symptoms

Thanks for the reply. I saw an endocrinologist, and I really don't think it was worth my time. My GP says my cortisol is very high but the endocrinologist told me that my levels were all in his "reference range" so he doesn't think it could be a hormonal problem and that I should speak to a gastroenterologist. I felt very dismissed and confused leaving his office. How can these doctors have different opinions on what's considered high or low? He also said my prolactin was on the high side now when I was previously told it was low.

Do you suffer from any anxiety or stress? It took me a long time to admit it to myself but I'm a very worrisome person, and have suffered quite a bit of anxiety. I've had obsessive compulsive tendencies/thoughts since I was young.

Have you heard of adrenal fatigue/exhaustion? I've read numerous times that in the early stages it can exhibit all of our symptoms with high cortisol...but after the body has been exposed to high cortisol for a lengthened amount of time, the adrenal glands eventually break down and low cortisol levels result. I've been making an honest attempt to decrease my stress and do more things that I enjoy. It does help alleviate certain symptoms, especially bowel related ones. I've heard it can take up to 2 years to restore the adrenals.

The problem is, most North American doctors only recognize adrenal issues in their most severe forms: Cushing's and Addison's disease. So you'll have to either be your own advocate or seek out a naturopath.

Something to consider anyways, let me know how you're doing All the best to your health and happiness

Closed Thread