It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

luvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB User
sick for 2 weeks - help w/cortisone dosing

Hi everyone,

I have been very sick with the seasonal viral, sore throat, extreme FATIGUE thing. It's been hanging on for about 2 weeks now and doesn't seem to be getting any better. I have very little energy, am in bed until afternoon, and have the constant sore throat. I never know how to increase my hydrocortisone when this sort of thing happens, and my doctor is of little help. I've been taking 10 extra mg daily and am wondering if that is what is typically recommended?

I'm taking a lot of holistic remedies, herbal anti-virals, lots of garlic, probiotics, etc. But if anyone has any other suggestions, especially concerning the appropriate cortisone dosing... I would be very grateful to hear.

Thanks very much..
All be well

Sincerely,
Mollie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
(male)

doug486 HB User
Re: sick for 2 weeks - help w/cortisone dosing

Hi Mollie

Is your doctor an Endocrinologist? The hydrocortisone is not the only thing that may be in play here. If your doctor is not and Endocrinologist then I would suggest that you need to get to one as soon as possible. If your current doctor is an Endo I would recommend that you find another one. A good Endocrinologist should know exactly what to do for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
(female)

3anglewhispers HB User

I can only tell you what my experience is...so please don't think that this will be right for you. Everyone is different. My normal dosage of hydrocortisone is 25 mg a day. My endo tells me to bump up to 40mg at the first sign of coming down with something. Wean when I start feeling better, but slowly wean. Now, if after a day or two I do not feel like it is helping or getting worse, my doctor gives me an injection of Solu-Medrol (along with a bag of IV fluids and antibiotic) and puts me on a Medrol dose pack. The great thing about this pack is you wean off it daily. Now, increasing my steroids is only part of it. I have to increase my rest, fluids, and sodium due to the risk of dehydration. Before we come up with this regimen, I would be so sick and dehydrated very easily and fast. Dehydration makes it worse (I am a nurse and know this to be true of many illnesses). If it is sinuses...I use a humififier and a Neti-Pot. Nutrition is also key...I increase my protein and fruits and veggies as well. Now it is a lot of work, but it is what I have found works best for me. I have been diagnosed with Addison's for about a year (although it took five years to figure out), asthma, and psoriatic arthritis. So all these things are key. I have had two crisis in the past year. Before I was diagnosed, it was a lot more. Hope this helps...maybe you can get an idea to run past your doctor.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
(female)

kiaguppy HB User

According to my endo, you wouldn't need to increase the hydrocortisone unless you're having GI issues such as diarrhea/vomiting (and in severe cases may need to do intra-muscular injections). You may try taking your normal dose of addison meds and take more cold/flu meds -- like those containing zinc. You immune system may be depressed and that may be why it's taking so long to get over this.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
(female)

mrsagal HB User

Hi Mollie - are you taking your doses twice a day or once? My endocrinologist has me take my doses in the morning and at 3 pm - however, in stress situations, you increase your dose as much as 5-15 mg. Do you take brand Cortef or generic?

Closed Thread