It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

luvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB User
difficulty getting to sleep/insomnia

I'm 40 years old, and was diagnosed 5 years ago with Addison's.. since then, sleep has been very difficult, but manageable. I'm finding it no longer to be manageable.. in fact, it is my biggest demon because I cannot get to sleep without some sort of "aid", and then feel like a train wreck in the morning. I really don't see the mornings anymore.

I know that part of the problem is that I take my last dose of cortisone fairly late in the eve because if i don't then I wake up in the middle of the night feeling awful with low steroid symptoms (nausea, lightheaded, etc).. so I've found that if I take last dose between 8-9 pm, I can get by until about 6 am. However, taking it late means that I cannot get to sleep... so i get very frustrated and give into some sort of sleep pill. I've gotten myself into a horrible cycle that I don't know how to change.. and I've lost my job because of it.

Do any of you have difficulty getting to sleep? And do you think it has to do with steroids?

Would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions...

Thank you for reading..

Be well,
Mollie

Old 12-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
(female)

coffeemommy HB User
Re: difficulty getting to sleep/insomnia

Mollie, I was having a really hard time falling asleep and staying asleep as well. I was taking ambian so much I couldn't sleep without it. I switched to Melatonin which is a natural, non addictive sleep aid. You have to get the 10mg though or it won't do much. I took it for a month and my body got in the pattern of sleeping all night and falling asleep easily. Now I only take it if I'm stress dosing, traveling or have alot on my mind. I love it because it doesn't make you wake up groggy, and if you wake up in the middle of the night, you are completely with it, but can fall right back to sleep. I'd give it a try and see if it works for you. I can totally sympathize. Insomnia makes you miserable. Hope this helps, Leslie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
(female)

Honeydew72 HB User

I don't have addison's, but I too have a hard time falling asleep. I have to take Lunesta and then I still wake up quite frequently during the night. I was convinced that I had adrenal fatigue because I had most of the symptoms, but also have hypothyroidism and lyme. doc says my cortisol tests are normal. blah.

anyway, I hope you get some sleep and things get better for you.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
(female)

2 in a Million HB User

I agree with Coffeemommy. 5-10 mg. of melatonin helps me tremendously, but it is even better if I use a sleep mask. A large well fitting sleep mask is one of the best things I've ever found in my life. The slightest amount of light (like from your digital clock) still registers on the retina with your eyes closed and disrupts your sleep cycles. Don't get a small cheap one. Bed, Bath and Beyond carrys a good one with contoured eye pads for about $12.00. You can also google sleep masks and find some good ones that are a little more expensive. It's worth spending a little money to find one that fits and is really comfortable for you. It took me 15 years to convince my husband (who HAD chronic insomnia) to try one. Now, he won't sleep without it - even for a nap. It can really make that much difference. I hope it works for you. Sweet dreams!

Closed Thread