It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

2 in a Million HB User
Question Does your weight matter in cortisone dosing?

I had a pituitary tumor hemorrhage about 9 months ago. Didn't get started on hydrocortisone until 3 months later. Once on it I felt better than I had in 20 yrs. We've experimented with my dosage and times during the day taken. But my weight has also gone up and down a lot. Not so much because of the cortisone but because of severe nausea and throwing up until I got the correct diagnosis and was put on the cortisone. So, one of my questions is does what you weigh effect your dosage? If I weigh 220 lbs., would I take the same dosage as I would weighing 120 lbs - all other factors being the same? I don't know how much that matters, but it could explain why I feel better increasing the dose as my weight has gone up. I can eat now! But, I need to get to my healtiest weight. Anyway, thank you for your help. Still trying to figure all of this out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
(female)

Mommykoehn HB User
Re: Does your weight matter in cortisone dosing?

Hello, I know it's been a little while since you posted, but I'm new here and to Addison's. I started taking Cortef-30 mg daily (20 in am and 10 in pm).Then another endo moved my pm dose to 5 mg (better for chances at sleeping too). After swelling & vertigo, I'm now on 20 daily (15 in the am & 5 before 4 pm). My endo said that's because of my size (5-5 and 107 lbs). She said I might be able to reduce to 10-5 some day, as it's best to get by on as little as is really needed. Hope that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread