It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Question can't wake up... ever!

HI yall, I am having the sleepies really bad. Seem to be getting worse and worse too. I take 5 mg of hydrocortisone around 10 and 2.5 around 1 pm. I also take provigil on days I have to go out and drive somewhere and here lately I have to take 2 of them and still fall asleep (can totally take an hour nap on them).

Does anyone have any tricks on how to stay awake when you need to? I have moved up my endo appt now to the 19th to try to talk to her about this and the nausea issues.

I really need some help here, I have to go on Tues (tomorrow) afternoon and take care of my 95 yo mom for 24 yrs and I just don't see how I am going to do that much less drive to her house (30 min away).

HELP PLEASE!

The following user gives a hug of support to noevr:
Tranquil47 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
(female)

luvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB User
Re: can't wake up... ever!

If you have Addison's Disease, you are not taking enough steroid... at all. I have never heard of anyone being on such a low replacement dose. Typical replacement dose is 25-30 mg of cortisone/day, along with .1 mg fludrocortisone. And the two most common symptoms of low steroid are fatigue, nausea ( and headache is also up there).

Your doc appt is not for another week.. I would increase your steroid a bit in the meantime and see if your symptoms subside.

I have lived with this illness for quite awhile, and trust me, no one knows your body and what it needs better than you do. I have seen a myriad of docs over the years, and for the most part, they have an extremely narrow/vague understanding of the severity of this illness.. let alone how to manage it. You will find that you'll have to try different things with your steroid replacement & eventually you'll arrive upon what feels right.

Take care of yourself.. be well, and best of luck.

Sincerely,
Mollie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: can't wake up... ever!

Mollie, thanks so much for replying so quickly. I was thinking of asking the dr. if there weren't other tests she could run. I just had a physical w/ my PCP and everything is fine with that. I have secondary Addison's btw. What other tests should I be asking about? I am still learning about this disease and I'm in such a fog I just can't seem to get it together to find out what I need to know because all I do is sleep. Its terrible.

I will try increasing the hydrocortisone again and see if that makes a differance.

thanks so much,

Closed Thread