It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
(female)

jls826 HB User
Low Cortisol, 0.4

Hello Community,

I've had hypothyroidism since 2008 - that was after 5 years of unexplainable weight gain, despite diets and excercise (with nutritionist & trainer). I've been on Synthyroid 50 mcg since then. Up until recently I was also on Metformin 1500MG. During the past year I've lost ~ 30lbs...not quite sure how as I gave up on nutritionist, diets, trainers, and have not been excercising as much as I should in recent months due to back surgery over the summer, yet I'm still dropping weight - not at alarming rates, but it doesn't make sense.

Recently I saw an endocrinologist. I had seen one years ago for PCOS and when I gained all that weight but had a bad experience and decided to stick with my PCP & Gyn. This new endo checked all the usual stuff plus Cortisol.

Of all the labs I've had done this past month, all were normal, except for the following:

CORTISOL AM 0.4 (normal range is 6.7-22.6)
THYROID PEROXIDASE AB (TPO) 223.0 (normal range is 0-9.0; prior to sttarting 50mcg of synthroid in '08, it was 409)

My endo wanted to rule out Cushing's and used the Cortisol test via dexamethasone at night with blood drawn in the morning...is it normal for it to be that low even having taken dexamethasone or is it normal for it to be so low following a dose of dexamethasone?

I spoke with the endo today and he said all tests were to be expected, no Cushing's, noting the Cortisol was normal. ????

The hospital I see all of my drs thru uses an online thing that posts all lab results, which is how I know the above. I', so tired and irritable that I didn't want to ask him today in fear of being snippy (which I've been far too much of lately)

Also, I've had a lot of muscle and joint problems recently...arthritis in hip & back, herniated discs, bursitis, and the list could go on. Even with surgery and 4 mos aggressive PT, the orthopaedic symptoms are not improving...and my PT is now thinking it's not bursitis and the ortho is just sending me for cortisone injections...

Could all of this somehow be connected and could there be some other underlying issue? Over the years I've been tested for Lupus, Ankylosing Spondylitis, and all are negative.

I'm really tired and frustrated as I live in NYC and see great doctors at great hospitals...but after years of not feeling well, and the last YEAR of waking up every 2-3 hrs in EXTREME hip pain (supposed bursitis) for over a year, I feel like I'm going to scream unless something gives...

Any thoughts from anyone with similar symptoms/issues?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
(female)

mrsagal HB User
Re: Low Cortisol, 0.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls826 View Post
Hello Community,

I've had hypothyroidism since 2008 - that was after 5 years of unexplainable weight gain, despite diets and excercise (with nutritionist & trainer). I've been on Synthyroid 50 mcg since then. Up until recently I was also on Metformin 1500MG. During the past year I've lost ~ 30lbs...not quite sure how as I gave up on nutritionist, diets, trainers, and have not been excercising as much as I should in recent months due to back surgery over the summer, yet I'm still dropping weight - not at alarming rates, but it doesn't make sense.

Recently I saw an endocrinologist. I had seen one years ago for PCOS and when I gained all that weight but had a bad experience and decided to stick with my PCP & Gyn. This new endo checked all the usual stuff plus Cortisol.

Of all the labs I've had done this past month, all were normal, except for the following:

CORTISOL AM 0.4 (normal range is 6.7-22.6)
THYROID PEROXIDASE AB (TPO) 223.0 (normal range is 0-9.0; prior to sttarting 50mcg of synthroid in '08, it was 409)

My endo wanted to rule out Cushing's and used the Cortisol test via dexamethasone at night with blood drawn in the morning...is it normal for it to be that low even having taken dexamethasone or is it normal for it to be so low following a dose of dexamethasone?

I spoke with the endo today and he said all tests were to be expected, no Cushing's, noting the Cortisol was normal. ????

The hospital I see all of my drs thru uses an online thing that posts all lab results, which is how I know the above. I', so tired and irritable that I didn't want to ask him today in fear of being snippy (which I've been far too much of lately)

Also, I've had a lot of muscle and joint problems recently...arthritis in hip & back, herniated discs, bursitis, and the list could go on. Even with surgery and 4 mos aggressive PT, the orthopaedic symptoms are not improving...and my PT is now thinking it's not bursitis and the ortho is just sending me for cortisone injections...

Could all of this somehow be connected and could there be some other underlying issue? Over the years I've been tested for Lupus, Ankylosing Spondylitis, and all are negative.

I'm really tired and frustrated as I live in NYC and see great doctors at great hospitals...but after years of not feeling well, and the last YEAR of waking up every 2-3 hrs in EXTREME hip pain (supposed bursitis) for over a year, I feel like I'm going to scream unless something gives...

Any thoughts from anyone with similar symptoms/issues?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
(female)

mrsagal HB User
Re: Low Cortisol, 0.4

Bless your heart - I know exactly what you are going through - I went through the same thing - for almost 2 years - I wonder do you have very low blood pressure? I have Addison's disease which was diagnosed with after having a severe MRSA infection - before the infection I had taken steroids and apparently that is why my adrenal glands stop working - my cortical level was actually - 0.1! My BP was 60 / 40 for so long that I was barely alive. Anyway after the low BP, extreme fatigue as you have, and my goodness my joints - the pain was and still is just terrible, it's just been no fun at all. Treatment helps with the fatigue, but I am so fragile. I have constant nausea, often have diarrhea and sometimes vomit. When you have diarrhea/vomiting you have to go to the hospital to get your Cortisol IV. You cannot go 12 hs without your medication or it could cause major health problems! Anyway, maybe this can help you to get an idea of what you are up against, - No disease is bigger than God! I'll be thinking about you. Feel free to write me back any time. Good luck

Closed Thread