It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Finally saw my Endo today

I brought up my nausea and extreme fatigue and she didn't know what to say about the nausea. At first she said she didn't know what to do w/ the fatigue either until I got upset and told her I expected some sort of solution from this appt today so she said to double up on my hydrocortisone for 10 days and see if that helped. This will take me up to 15 mg a day. If this doesn't do anything then I'm going to get a 2nd opinion, even though I wil have to have a driver because they are so far away.

thanks, cj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
(female)

luvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB User
Re: Finally saw my Endo today

You need to see another endocrinlogist. It bothers me that your endo didn't know what to say about your nausea and fatigue... two of the most prominant symptoms associated with low cortisol. Secondly, I have never heard of someone with Addison's only taking 7.5 mg of hydrocortisone/daily. The typical replacement dose is 25-30 mg/daily.. I would bet that you would feel worlds better.. much more ALIVE .. if your daily replacement dose was increased.

Please find a new endcrinologist.. someone with more of an understanding of this very serious condition. Trust me, once you find the right dosing of steroids, your life will change hugely for the better.

Best of luck.. hang in there.. it will get better.

Sincerely,
Mollie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Mollie, thanks for responding so quickly. I will give this 10 day thing a try and see if it helps with the nausea and fatigue. In the meantime I've been trying to fine another endo specializing in Addison's in my area and I haven't had much luck. :/ Do you just see a regular endo? thanks again, cj

Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
(male)

aw38478 HB User

Hello... I have also had a hard time finding a dr or endo in my area that knows anything about addisons. I went forever before finally being diagnosed with secondary adrenal insufficient. I am also taking hydrocortisone (30 mg per day). I do suggest that u keep looking for a dr that has experience in this area. You are on such a minimal dose, it leads me to believe the dr doesn't know what they are doing. But I'm no doctor... lol - I do not feel like I am getting everything I need, I still have a lot of symptoms that the medicine does not help. I'm plan to try to find me another endo soon and get a 2nd opinion. I think I have seen 3 so far and none have a real clue about addisons. But the fact that I don't feel LIFELESS anymore was enough to keep me happy for several years but it's time for me to dig deeper now. I hope you find a dr and start feeling better soon. AW

Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks AW for responding, my question is how exactly can you be sure the dr. has experience w/ Addison's? That's my concern. I mean should I call and ask them? I was thinking of that.

cj

Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
(male)

aw38478 HB User

Unfortunately, there is not really any other way to find out if they have experience treating addisons patients than to call and ask. Depending on where you live, there may be info online about a particular doctor. For me, I live in a small town in Tennessee and I haven't had much luck finding anyone in my area. Most endocrinologists seem to primarily treat patients with diabetes and thyroid issues. However most doctors do have some limited knowledge of addisons. I thought about finding a doctor online that speacializes in addisons disease and then travelling wherever I have to in order to speak to someone that knows what they are doing and has compassion and understanding for me and my symptoms. I hope you find one.

Closed Thread