HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Addison's Disease (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addisons-disease/)
-   -   Addison's and MS (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addisons-disease/887526-addisons-ms.html)

singergirl84 01-29-2012 03:06 PM

Addison's and MS

I have had surgical Addison's disease for 8 years. Just got dx with MS. Is there anyone on these boards who is in the same predicament? Just went through a relapse and took more cortisol due to the stress on my body. Anyone have experience with MS attacks and being Addison's.

downen 02-02-2012 02:26 PM

Re: Addison's and MS

[QUOTE=singergirl84;4919187]I have had surgical Addison's disease for 8 years. Just got dx with MS. Is there anyone on these boards who is in the same predicament? Just went through a relapse and took more cortisol due to the stress on my body. Anyone have experience with MS attacks and being Addison's.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I'll share my experience. I was diagnosed with "probable" MS in 2001. I had 9 brain lesions, but no spinal cord fluid banding, and my evoked perception tests were negative. Because of this, my doctor did not put me on meds. I was diagnosed with primary Addison's in 2008. I also have Hashimoto's, and optimizing my thyroid replacement with T3 has been cruicial to my feeling better. I am no longer seeing my neurologist for my MS and have had no further issues (that I'm aware of).

You called your Addison's "surgical," so it sounds like you might be secondary, rather than primary. My diseases are all related in that they are autoimmune. At any rate, it is a matter of finding out what works best for you an advocating with your doctors for your own health.

Best wishes to you!

singergirl84 02-04-2012 02:54 PM

Thanks for your reply. I had Cushings disease and had a bilateral adrenalectomy so I am without any adrenal function. I too have had thyroid problems, thyroidectomy and I'm on Levothyroxine. I have heard about T-3 working better than T-4 it works well for you? I need to try that.
Thanks

downen 02-05-2012 01:13 PM

Yes, it seems many with Addison's do not convert their T4 to T3, and I'm one of them.

You should start by getting labs of your Free T3 and Free T4. TSH won't tell you much if you're not converting. If you are not in the mid to high levels for T3 and T4, you might benefit from either adding T3, or Armour, which has both T3 and T4 in it.

Many doctors do not want to prescribe T3 or Armour, so you may have to "shop around" if your current doctor won't go there.

KitKat2005 05-17-2012 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=singergirl84;4919187]I have had surgical Addison's disease for 8 years. Just got dx with MS. Is there anyone on these boards who is in the same predicament? Just went through a relapse and took more cortisol due to the stress on my body. Anyone have experience with MS attacks and being Addison's.[/QUOTE]
-----
I am late to this thread, but I have Addison's and MS. (Addison's for 18 years and MS for 10.

Shall we compare notes?